I used to buy tires from TireRack - now SimpleTire (how can they do it?)

Old April 3rd 17, 08:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Jonas Schneider

Default I used to buy tires from TireRack - now SimpleTire (how can they do it?)

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 21:56:54 -0600, rbowman > wrote:

> On 04/02/2017 07:27 PM, Jonas Schneider wrote:
>> Auurgh! Tire reviews.
>> Tire reviews are like people rating their mother's cooking.
>> Everyone is biased toward the tires *they* selected, while some can't stand
>> their mother, no matter what.

> Then you might as well blindfold yourself and throw darts at the wall.

No no no.
All is not lost.

We don't have perfect information.
But we do have good information.

What you do is read the sidewall.

The sidewall of every passenger car tire sold in the USA contains a wealth
of information about the construction of the tire, the wet and dry traction
of the tire, and the treadwear expectancy of that exact tire.

Do I wish we had the factory datasheets?
Sure.

> I doubt the Motor Trend writer is paying for many tires out of his own
> pocket. Possibly he's getting paid under the table by Cooper but is that
> worth slagging a couple of other brands that he found inferior?

We all know that these magazines are "entertainment".
Even the network news is "entertainment".
Hell ... our own President is sheer entertainment!

There's nothing wrong with reading that magazine, or any magazine (heck, I
used Playboy as my anatomy reference for years in my early days!).

There's nothing wrong with reading the magazine.
But let's be realistic.

That wasn't a "tire review".
It was a shill for the Cooper tire marketing guys.

Nothing wrong with that - it's entertainment (which is why they brought
Unser in driving a Corvette since it had nothing whatsoever to do with
rating the passenger car tires).

My point is that you're never going to find anything better for *all*
tires, than the sidewall of *every* tire.

Sure, you can get a factory datasheet of one or two tires, but you'll never
get that detailed information for all the tires you are considering.

> The must have bought the topspeed author a few beers too:
> http://www.topspeed.com/cars/cooper-...-ar163761.html

Notice the content of the first sentences of that article by Christian Moe?
It's essentially the exact same first and last sentences of the MT article
by Jason Udy.

They both ran through the same tests at the same track at the same time
using the same cars using the same tires?

The article says a dozen journalists were handed this "opportunity".
So it's not surprising that two different journalists wrote stories based
on their sanctioned "business trip" (for that is what it was).

> But, like the guy said, buying tires is boring. Not sucking completely
> is the main criteria.

Those articles were lock stock and barrel orchestrated from start to finish
by the Cooper Marketing Team.

There's nothing wrong with reading that article.
* All I'm saying is that the article was entertainment.
* I'm saying the article was run by Cooper Marketing.
* I'm saying the journalists were given an opportunity to write a "story".
* And they were certainly fed the exact same marketing blurbs.

I'm saying they reported exactly zero measurements.
* They didn't even report the lap times.
* And their 'tests' had no controls whatsoever (not even a placebo).

Clearly - it's entertainment and not science.
More to the point - it's MARKETING and not science.

Nothing wrong with that.
But, the blanket statements that Cooper beats Pirelli and Hancook are not
supported by anything in the articles.

I'm not saying Cooper isn't better, nor that Pirelli and Hancook are
anythign special to beat - all I'm saying is that the articles were pure
Cooper marketing and magazine entertainment.

They were not tire reviews.

>> You probably do what most people do, including me.
>> The market research I quoted said that most people choose OE tires early in
>> the life of the vehicle, where they stray further and further away as the
>> vehicle ages.

> The Bridgestones on the first Yaris were worn and I planned to replace
> them in the spring with some other brand. However, the Yaris did not
> survive a head on collision with a snow plow.

Yikes. I hope everyone was ok.

> The second Yaris came with
> the same tires, which I replaced with Coopers when they wore out. The
> 92E's are not bad for ride quality, noise, and traction but the tread
> life sucks and they're quite expensive when you're not Toyota buying
> them by the boatload.

The problem here is that most of us (all of us?) trust our own experience
far more than we trust others' experience.

That's human nature.
Old April 3rd 17, 08:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Jonas Schneider

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 22:10:18 -0600, rbowman > wrote:

> Okay, I get it. Every magazine writer is a complete asshole bought off
> by the local friendly sales guy.

I went in with an open mind, but I have read car magazines before,
especially when I was a kid, and they are fantastic for entertainment.

Why do you think Cooper marketing brought in Unser driving a Corvette on
the Cooper tires anyway with the author riding shotgun? It's all
entertainment. It wasn't supposed to be a tire test.

If it was a tire test, they would have measured *something* (anything!)
But they reported absolutely ZERO measurements. Zero!
What kind of tire test is that?

A thousand words of some author praising the Cooper marketing guys.
It's great entertainment; but it wasn't even close to a "tire test".

Even if it was a tire test, it only "tested" three tires, none of which are
the size and brand of mine nor the size and brands I was looking at nor
anyone else - so - it was useless as a tire test. Great for entertainment;
but useless as a tire test.

What's sad is that you apparently *thought* it was a tire test.
That's a very scary thing.

Do you realize what that "test" really was?
Or, do you still think it was actually a tire test?

Please, dear God ... don't tell me you still think it was really a tire
test. Please ... renew my faith in the innate intelligence of humans.
Please Dear God.

> Every civilian reviewer that laid out
> $600 thinks whatever he bought is the greatest thing since sex. Nobody
> publishes reliable data.

This statement is where we disagree.
To my knowledge, only two entities publish "reliable data".
1. Consumers Union (aka Consumer Reports), and,
2. The sidewall of every passenger tire sold in the United States

Unfortunately, when I look at CR reports, they don't have every tire I'm
looking at, but the good news is that every sidewall of every tire has the
"reliable data" that you say doesn't exist.

Does the sidewall have reliable data on overall tire construction? Yes.
Does the sidewall have reliable data on wet straight traction? Yes.
Does the sidewall have reliable data on average dry traction? Sort of.
Does the sidewall have reliable data on treadwear life? Sort of.
----------
Does the sidwall have reliable data on anything else? No.
----------

> The consumer is screwed.

No they are not.

Every tire has reasonably reliable data on construction, traction, and
tread life.

Would I like more data printed on the sidewall? Sure.
But that's good enough to pick tires by.

Certainly it's *far* better than that "tire review".

> I'll go you one
> better. A major chain in the western US, Les Schwab's, which I've bought
> tires from, tends to sell tires with their own house models and brands.
> I've bought tires from them, never had problems, and their service is
> great, but good luck trying to find out anything about a 'Road Control
> Touring A/S'.

That's my entire point, which I said earlier, which is that the sidewall of
*every* tire gives you reasonably reliable data about the construction,
traction, and treadwear of that exact tire.

That's printed on *every* passenger tire.

Now, some people will tell me they get "factory analysis" and "factory
tests" and "factory data" for their (racing?) tires - which is fantastic if
they can get that information - because - Lord Knows - the factory knows
all of that.

But good luck on getting factory datasheets on all the tires you're
considering.

Even CR, which is an OK magazine (they are just ok though), doesn't rate
all the tires.

All you have that is reliable for all tires, is what's printed on the
sidewall. To ignore that information would be foolish.
Old April 21st 17, 12:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Ed Pawlowski

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 19:03:11 +0000 (UTC), Jonas Schneider
> wrote:

>> Then you might as well blindfold yourself and throw darts at the wall.

>No no no.
>All is not lost.
>
>We don't have perfect information.
>But we do have good information.
>
>What you do is read the sidewall.
>
>The sidewall of every passenger car tire sold in the USA contains a wealth
>of information about the construction of the tire, the wet and dry traction
>of the tire, and the treadwear expectancy of that exact tire.
>
>Do I wish we had the factory datasheets?
>Sure.

big snip

>The problem here is that most of us (all of us?) trust our own experience
>far more than we trust others' experience.
>
>That's human nature.

Bought new tires today. Trusted my own experience and consulted with
the dealer. They are the same spec as the OEM tire on my car, but not
the same brand. Why? Because even though the sidewall spec was good,
the Michelin tires were crap. They never rode smooth even though the
balance was checked and they were rotated. Vibration started at 45
and got worse with speed. Very bad at 80 and up.

I finally got rid of them and put on a set of Nokian entyre 2.0.
Steers better, rides better, and smooth to 100 mph, the fastest I
tried so far.

There is more to a good tire than the specs on the sidewall. They have
to be put together properly too.

As for price, I got them from a local dealer for $2 more than on line
prices so that is a plus for me.

After 10k or so I can give a better review to see how they are holding
up. I've had Nokian WRG3 on another car and like them, but now
retired, I'm not planning in driving is snow any more.
Old June 16th 18, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Actually Simple Tire has ZERO inventory. Its a group of guys sitting behind a computer processing orders. They ship from other dealer warehouses. It looks great in the short run, but eventually the dealers that already buy from these distributors will get ****ed and ban together and shut simple down. At least Tire Rack has its own inventory ans ships from there own warehouse. As a consumer you may find Simple tire a great purchase. As a business that is currently being screwed by the corporation level of my distributor, it sucks. Why would i buy and warehouse a tire to sell to a customer if i could drop ship it. Its not revolutionary, it will put people out of work.
Old August 16th 19, 04:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Captain Obvious-er

replying to Jonas Schneider, Captain Obvious-er wrote:
Wow.... you bought a no-name chinese tire at a lower price than a quality
name brand tire. So what's the point you're trying to make?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1127932-.htm