Problem with door lock in my 2004 Honda Accord (tumblers?)

Old June 5th 12, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default Problem with door lock in my 2004 Honda Accord (tumblers?)

On 05/29/2012 06:40 AM, Al wrote:
> On 5/29/2012 12:10 AM, jim beam wrote:
>> On 05/28/2012 08:55 PM, Al wrote:
>>> On 5/26/2012 4:30 PM, wrote:

>>> You could switch the tumbler/cylinder from the passenger door to the
>>> driver side door.

>> rarely possible - not on a honda anyway - they have left and right
>> cylinders with external keyways just to prevent you cheaping out of
>> buying new.
>>

> opps, sorry. Didn't know that. OP, ignore that suggestion.

you can in fact grind the keyways on some of the cylinders - but it's a
bunch of extra work just to replace a worn cylinder with a partially
worn one. at the end of the day, especially if having a maximally
effective lock is the objective, it's best to just buy new. if the car
is so old you can't buy the cylinders, /then/ you grind.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old November 22nd 15, 08:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Pls can I use the WD-40 for my ignition lock too. The master key refuses to go all d way in occasionally. Can I also use brake oil if I cant get the WD-40. Someone suggested that so I want to confirm. Thanks
Old November 24th 15, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earl Grey[_2_]

On 11/24/15 10:48 AM, NotMe wrote:
> "Earl Grey" > wrote in message

>>> Graphite in an electrical 'lock' is not wise either.
>>>

>> I'm curious, what exactly is an electrical lock?
>>
>> Graphite not wise? It's been the standard lock lubricant since the Lincoln
>> administration ;-)

> There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who
> learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for
> themselves. ~ Will Rogers
>
> Your comments suggest that you're the kind of person that will pee on an
> electric fence ... twice.

"I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to
these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?"
- Fran Lebowitz

--
"You can only judge people upon that which they show you. Nine times out
of 10— it’s their ass.”
Old November 24th 15, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Alan Bowler

On 2015-11-23 3:23 PM, Earl Grey wrote:
> I'm curious, what exactly is an electrical lock?

A lock that controls an electric circuit.

> Graphite not wise? It's been the standard lock lubricant
> since the Lincoln administration

Yes graphite will do a very good job of lubricating the
mechanical part of the lock. Problems may occur if there
an open airway between the mechanical part of the lock
and the electric contacts in the rest of the lock.
The graphite might pass through and short the contacts.

Old November 24th 15, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earl Grey[_2_]

On 11/24/15 12:31 PM, Alan Bowler wrote:
> On 2015-11-23 3:23 PM, Earl Grey wrote:
>> I'm curious, what exactly is an electrical lock?

> A lock that controls an electric circuit.
>>
>> Graphite not wise? It's been the standard lock lubricant
> > since the Lincoln administration

> Yes graphite will do a very good job of lubricating the
> mechanical part of the lock. Problems may occur if there
> an open airway between the mechanical part of the lock
> and the electric contacts in the rest of the lock.
> The graphite might pass through and short the contacts.

Ah, I see. Not too good a suggestion then :-(

--
The Government has no money of its own. All that it has it takes in
taxes or borrows at interest.