honda accord 2003 squeeking like a teapot

Old February 17th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default honda accord 2003 squeeking like a teapot

I have a honda accord 2003.
When I step on the gas it softly sqeeks it sounds like air coming out of a
teapot when it is boiling.
When I step on the break it stops.
No other problems...
Anyone have any idea of what it is????

Old February 17th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

most likely it is the warning squeaker built into the brake pads telling
you that you need brake pads soon.

Old February 17th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

But the complaint was that it squeaks when he steps on the GAS, and
doesn't squeak when he steps on the BRAKES.

Old February 17th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

liz143 wrote:

> I have a honda accord 2003.
> When I step on the gas it softly sqeeks it sounds like air coming out of a
> teapot when it is boiling.
> When I step on the break it stops.
> No other problems...
> Anyone have any idea of what it is????

=======================

It could be the brakes. The owner's manual describes the sound. The air
filter may be put back together wrong, since the last oil change. A
vacuum hose may be disconnected. From the description, it could be a
heat shield rattle too. It would help to know the mileage of the Accord.
www.tegger.com has a chapter about Honda noises. Good place to look.

'Curly'
Old February 17th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Yes, that is what she said - but brake pad squeakers make the most noise
when the brakes are not being applied and often go silent during braking.

Old February 18th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Make the most noise when the brakes are not being applied? Don't think
so unless Hondas, including mine, are unlike all other makes that I have
worked on. I notice that TeGGeR has this on his site: "Honda disk
brake pads incorporate a clever device that warns the driver when brake
pads have worn down and need changing. It's simply a U-shaped piece of
metal that, when the pads are new, doesn't come near the rotating disk.
As the pad material wears away however, the end of this metal strip
comes closer and closer to the rotor until when there is only a marginal
amount of pad left, it touches the rotor during braking. This generates
discreet squeaks and scratchings at first, most noticeable when backing
up or maneuvering slowly in a parking lot. As the contact becomes more
intimate the wear strip can generate the most ominous gronking noises
that will be noticed by even the most inattentive driver. The cure is
simple, replace the pads with new ones."