flat spot on tire

Old February 6th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default flat spot on tire

A nail gave my RR tire a flat yesterday. I have a road hazard warranty but
the dealer said he could do nothing because there was a single spot on the
tire, not more that about 5 inches in diameter, where the tread was
completely worn off. The dealer said he had never seen anything like it and
I must have "bad struts." I knew this was nonsense and later when I read
the warranty I saw that I am supposed to be covered for the tire "having
been 'run flat' as a result of normal road hazard."

In thinking about this I thought that what may have happened is the tire was
so flat that the wheel did not turn in the couple of 100 yards that I drove
to pull off and the spot was ground into the tire. Is this what "run flat"
means and is it plausible?

RC

Old February 6th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Yes, you are correct.

The $tealer was living up to his nickname just fine.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 6th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Raymond Cruz wrote:

> A nail gave my RR tire a flat yesterday. I have a road hazard warranty but
> the dealer said he could do nothing because there was a single spot on the
> tire, not more that about 5 inches in diameter, where the tread was
> completely worn off. The dealer said he had never seen anything like it and
> I must have "bad struts." I knew this was nonsense and later when I read
> the warranty I saw that I am supposed to be covered for the tire "having
> been 'run flat' as a result of normal road hazard."
>
> In thinking about this I thought that what may have happened is the tire was
> so flat that the wheel did not turn in the couple of 100 yards that I drove
> to pull off and the spot was ground into the tire. Is this what "run flat"
> means and is it plausible?
>
> RC

Many things are possible. Many things are NOT probable.
I have the feeling that you have never had a flat tire before.
Tires and their wheels keep turning even when flat. They don't stay
flat on one side only. If what they said about the flat spot is true,
then the shock/strut on that wheel was completely gone. You should have
felt the intense vibration, wheel hop, and lack of control while driving.
On the other hand, you should have felt the tire going flat due to escaping
air from the nail and stopped the vehicle.
What you said just does not add up.
Is this a troll post?
Old February 6th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

« Paul » wrote:

> Raymond Cruz wrote:
> >
> > A nail gave my RR tire a flat yesterday. I have a road hazard warranty but
> > the dealer said he could do nothing because there was a single spot on the
> > tire, not more that about 5 inches in diameter, where the tread was
> > completely worn off. The dealer said he had never seen anything like it and
> > I must have "bad struts." I knew this was nonsense and later when I read
> > the warranty I saw that I am supposed to be covered for the tire "having
> > been 'run flat' as a result of normal road hazard."
> >
> > In thinking about this I thought that what may have happened is the tire was
> > so flat that the wheel did not turn in the couple of 100 yards that I drove
> > to pull off and the spot was ground into the tire. Is this what "run flat"
> > means and is it plausible?
> >
> > RC

> Many things are possible. Many things are NOT probable.
> I have the feeling that you have never had a flat tire before.
> Tires and their wheels keep turning even when flat. They don't stay
> flat on one side only. If what they said about the flat spot is true,
> then the shock/strut on that wheel was completely gone. You should have
> felt the intense vibration, wheel hop, and lack of control while driving.
> On the other hand, you should have felt the tire going flat due to escaping
> air from the nail and stopped the vehicle.
> What you said just does not add up.
> Is this a troll post?

When folks hit the brakes to slow down, the metal rim on the road has no
traction so it slides allowing the brake to stop that one wheel's
rotation. This is one cause for vehicles spinning out sideways and
rolling after getting a flat.

I have seen it and I have 'flat spotted' a tire after a flat.

Now if it is a front tire with the engine weight on it it is more likely
to keep rolling, but not for sure.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old February 6th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Raymond Cruz wrote:
> A nail gave my RR tire a flat yesterday. I have a road hazard warranty but
> the dealer said he could do nothing because there was a single spot on the
> tire, not more that about 5 inches in diameter, where the tread was
> completely worn off. The dealer said he had never seen anything like it and
> I must have "bad struts." I knew this was nonsense and later when I read
> the warranty I saw that I am supposed to be covered for the tire "having
> been 'run flat' as a result of normal road hazard."
>
> In thinking about this I thought that what may have happened is the tire was
> so flat that the wheel did not turn in the couple of 100 yards that I drove
> to pull off and the spot was ground into the tire. Is this what "run flat"
> means and is it plausible?
>
> RC

Well, maybe if you dragged it a mile it could be true. If you know your
vehicle and that's the only thing that happened is the flat, I'm
believing that did it. Even if you had teens driving the vehicle and
locking the wheels, the other tires would also be affected. If you do
have teen drivers, check the other tires.

Old February 6th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"« Paul »" <"« Paul > wrote in message
> Raymond Cruz wrote:
> >
> > A nail gave my RR tire a flat yesterday. I have a road hazard warranty

but
> > the dealer said he could do nothing because there was a single spot on

the
> > tire, not more that about 5 inches in diameter, where the tread was
> > completely worn off. The dealer said he had never seen anything like it

and
> > I must have "bad struts." I knew this was nonsense and later when I

read
> > the warranty I saw that I am supposed to be covered for the tire "having
> > been 'run flat' as a result of normal road hazard."
> >
> > In thinking about this I thought that what may have happened is the tire

was
> > so flat that the wheel did not turn in the couple of 100 yards that I

drove
> > to pull off and the spot was ground into the tire. Is this what "run

flat"
> > means and is it plausible?
> >
> > RC

> Many things are possible. Many things are NOT probable.
> I have the feeling that you have never had a flat tire before.
> Tires and their wheels keep turning even when flat. They don't stay
> flat on one side only. If what they said about the flat spot is true,
> then the shock/strut on that wheel was completely gone. You should have
> felt the intense vibration, wheel hop, and lack of control while driving.
> On the other hand, you should have felt the tire going flat due to

escaping
> air from the nail and stopped the vehicle.
> What you said just does not add up.
> Is this a troll post?

It would be more useful if your purpose in newsgroups was to be helpful
rather than "cleverly" sarcastic. I didn't feel the tire going flat because
it apparently picked up a nail that deflated it during a 4 hour period that
I was parked and I noticed it was flat after moving a short distance. I
then had to make my way to a safe spot.

I don't feel I need to comment on the number of flat tires I've had in 42
years of driving and mostly doing my own mechanical work.

Although the dealer tried to stonewall me on this problem, I have since
called the manufacturer's national number and they accept the idea of the
flat spot being created after the nail did its work. They don't make my
size tire anymore (185/70R13) but they said they would send me credit based
on the remaining tread depth on the tire.

Thanks to Mike for his helpful answer.

RC

Old February 6th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Raymond Cruz wrote:

> "« Paul »" <"« Paul > wrote in message
> > Raymond Cruz wrote:
> > >
> > > A nail gave my RR tire a flat yesterday. I have a road hazard warranty

> but
> > > the dealer said he could do nothing because there was a single spot on

> the
> > > tire, not more that about 5 inches in diameter, where the tread was
> > > completely worn off. The dealer said he had never seen anything like it

> and
> > > I must have "bad struts." I knew this was nonsense and later when I

> read
> > > the warranty I saw that I am supposed to be covered for the tire "having
> > > been 'run flat' as a result of normal road hazard."
> > >
> > > In thinking about this I thought that what may have happened is the tire

> was
> > > so flat that the wheel did not turn in the couple of 100 yards that I

> drove
> > > to pull off and the spot was ground into the tire. Is this what "run

> flat"
> > > means and is it plausible?
> > >
> > > RC

> > Many things are possible. Many things are NOT probable.
> > I have the feeling that you have never had a flat tire before.
> > Tires and their wheels keep turning even when flat. They don't stay
> > flat on one side only. If what they said about the flat spot is true,
> > then the shock/strut on that wheel was completely gone. You should have
> > felt the intense vibration, wheel hop, and lack of control while driving.
> > On the other hand, you should have felt the tire going flat due to

> escaping
> > air from the nail and stopped the vehicle.
> > What you said just does not add up.
> > Is this a troll post?

> It would be more useful if your purpose in newsgroups was to be helpful
> rather than "cleverly" sarcastic. I didn't feel the tire going flat because
> it apparently picked up a nail that deflated it during a 4 hour period that
> I was parked and I noticed it was flat after moving a short distance. I
> then had to make my way to a safe spot.
>
> I don't feel I need to comment on the number of flat tires I've had in 42
> years of driving and mostly doing my own mechanical work.
>
> Although the dealer tried to stonewall me on this problem, I have since
> called the manufacturer's national number and they accept the idea of the
> flat spot being created after the nail did its work. They don't make my
> size tire anymore (185/70R13) but they said they would send me credit based
> on the remaining tread depth on the tire.
>
> Thanks to Mike for his helpful answer.
>
> RC

You are welcome. The flat spot also could have been caused over time by
the nail letting water in or physically snapping a belt which can
separate the tread so you get a bubble and then a worn in flat spot.

That is also a valid warranty fix.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old February 7th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

This is very interesting. The flat spot was very close to a nail that's
still in the tire. Thanks again.

P.S. This is the original poster responding. I'm neither Ray nor Tom - it's
just that I use different e-mail aliases on different accounts.

Roger (that's my real name!)

Old February 12th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Tom Nodelay wrote:
> This is very interesting. The flat spot was very close to a nail that's
> still in the tire. Thanks again.
>
> P.S. This is the original poster responding. I'm neither Ray nor Tom - it's
> just that I use different e-mail aliases on different accounts.
>
> Roger (that's my real name!)

Right. My real name is Al too.
You're such a nice guy that doesn't want anyone to notice.

Old February 12th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Raymond Cruz wrote:
> A nail gave my RR tire a flat yesterday. I have a road hazard warranty but
> the dealer said he could do nothing because there was a single spot on the
> tire, not more that about 5 inches in diameter, where the tread was
> completely worn off. The dealer said he had never seen anything like it and
> I must have "bad struts." I knew this was nonsense and later when I read
> the warranty I saw that I am supposed to be covered for the tire "having
> been 'run flat' as a result of normal road hazard."
>
> In thinking about this I thought that what may have happened is the tire was
> so flat that the wheel did not turn in the couple of 100 yards that I drove
> to pull off and the spot was ground into the tire. Is this what "run flat"
> means and is it plausible?
>
> RC

Is the tire tread worn away in the same spot that the nail punctured
the tire?

flat tire gauge keeps going on asdf BMW 1 September 3rd 05 06:56 PM
A tire flat spot or something more serious? Big Yellow Man BMW 1 March 14th 05 06:29 PM
Flat Spot joe BMW 3 March 7th 05 01:58 PM
Run Flat tire question H and A Corvette 36 January 16th 05 01:56 PM
Interesting...Expired Tires Patrick Ford Mustang 4 November 10th 04 03:42 AM