Do You Support Automotive Black Boxes?

Old March 23rd 10, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

Default Do You Support Automotive Black Boxes?

On 2010-03-23, GILL > wrote:

> I suppose if a warrant is issued,like they do to access one's PC hard
> drive then you can't really keep your data, can you?

The federal government already believes it has the power to sieze our
data any time they want under the 'war on terror'.

Old March 23rd 10, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_10_]

Brent wrote:
> On 2010-03-23, GILL > wrote:
>
>> I suppose if a warrant is issued,like they do to access one's PC hard
>> drive then you can't really keep your data, can you?

> The federal government already believes it has the power to sieze our
> data any time they want under the 'war on terror'.

I don't have my tin hat right now, but if the gubberment takes over my
auto insurance..........Nahhhhhhh!
Old March 24th 10, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2010-03-23, GILL > wrote:
> Brent wrote:
>> On 2010-03-23, GILL > wrote:
>>
>>> I suppose if a warrant is issued,like they do to access one's PC hard
>>> drive then you can't really keep your data, can you?

>> The federal government already believes it has the power to sieze our
>> data any time they want under the 'war on terror'.

> I don't have my tin hat right now, but if the gubberment takes over my
> auto insurance..........Nahhhhhhh!

State governments are already in bed with auto insurers. Not to the
degree as some other things, but it might get there.

Old March 24th 10, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

Brent wrote:
> On 2010-03-23, GILL > wrote:
>> Brent wrote:

>>> The federal government already believes it has the power to sieze our
>>> data any time they want under the 'war on terror'.

>> I don't have my tin hat right now, but if the gubberment takes over my
>> auto insurance..........Nahhhhhhh!

> State governments are already in bed with auto insurers. Not to the
> degree as some other things, but it might get there.

And... to get an inspection you must connect to the OBD2. Who's to
say they won't send the black box data to your insurance company and to
the local police traffic division. Of course, you have *nothing* to
hide. Except when you hit 71 in a 60 zone while getting past that log
truck one day. No one including yourself noticed; until your rates spike
by $71 and you get a speeding ticket in the mail. Is that such a far
fetched idea?

--
..

"A smorgasbord of tomfoolery" - L0afy
Old March 24th 10, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2010-03-24, WindsorFox<[SS]> > wrote:
> Brent wrote:

>>> I don't have my tin hat right now, but if the gubberment takes over my
>>> auto insurance..........Nahhhhhhh!

>> State governments are already in bed with auto insurers. Not to the
>> degree as some other things, but it might get there.
>>

> And... to get an inspection you must connect to the OBD2. Who's to
> say they won't send the black box data to your insurance company and to
> the local police traffic division. Of course, you have *nothing* to
> hide. Except when you hit 71 in a 60 zone while getting past that log
> truck one day. No one including yourself noticed; until your rates spike
> by $71 and you get a speeding ticket in the mail. Is that such a far
> fetched idea?

The UK is already pushing to use number plate readers to send out
time/distance speeding tickets.

Old March 24th 10, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

Brent wrote:
> On 2010-03-24, WindsorFox<[SS]> > wrote:
>> Brent wrote:

>>> State governments are already in bed with auto insurers. Not to the
>>> degree as some other things, but it might get there.
>>>

>> And... to get an inspection you must connect to the OBD2. Who's to
>> say they won't send the black box data to your insurance company and to
>> the local police traffic division. Of course, you have *nothing* to
>> hide. Except when you hit 71 in a 60 zone while getting past that log
>> truck one day. No one including yourself noticed; until your rates spike
>> by $71 and you get a speeding ticket in the mail. Is that such a far
>> fetched idea?

> The UK is already pushing to use number plate readers to send out
> time/distance speeding tickets.

We have Redflex speed and red light cameras here. I was, like so
many of the "but if you have nothing to hide" crowd; erroneously in
favor of them at first. Then came the screw ups and over indulgences,
then came the red light cams and their tickets for legally turning right
on red and then the shorter amber cycles....

--
..

"A smorgasbord of tomfoolery" - L0afy
Old March 24th 10, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
RM V2.0

> And... to get an inspection you must connect to the OBD2. Who's to say
> they won't send the black box data to your insurance company and to the
> local police traffic division. Of course, you have *nothing* to hide.
> Except when you hit 71 in a 60 zone while getting past that log truck one
> day. No one including yourself noticed; until your rates spike by $71 and
> you get a speeding ticket in the mail. Is that such a far fetched idea?
>
> --
> .

If the OBD2 doesnt work they can tailpipe it. Just go up the harness
somewhere and cut 1 of the wires to the port.

Old March 24th 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

RM v2.0 wrote:
>> And... to get an inspection you must connect to the OBD2. Who's to say
>> they won't send the black box data to your insurance company and to the
>> local police traffic division. Of course, you have *nothing* to hide.
>> Except when you hit 71 in a 60 zone while getting past that log truck one
>> day. No one including yourself noticed; until your rates spike by $71 and
>> you get a speeding ticket in the mail. Is that such a far fetched idea?
>>
>> --
>> .

> If the OBD2 doesnt work they can tailpipe it. Just go up the harness
> somewhere and cut 1 of the wires to the port.

Not here, AFAIK you get a rejection.

--
..

"A smorgasbord of tomfoolery" - L0afy
Old March 24th 10, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2010-03-24, WindsorFox<[SS]> > wrote:
> Brent wrote:

>>> And... to get an inspection you must connect to the OBD2. Who's to
>>> say they won't send the black box data to your insurance company and to
>>> the local police traffic division. Of course, you have *nothing* to
>>> hide. Except when you hit 71 in a 60 zone while getting past that log
>>> truck one day. No one including yourself noticed; until your rates spike
>>> by $71 and you get a speeding ticket in the mail. Is that such a far
>>> fetched idea?

>> The UK is already pushing to use number plate readers to send out
>> time/distance speeding tickets.
>>

> We have Redflex speed and red light cameras here. I was, like so
> many of the "but if you have nothing to hide" crowd; erroneously in
> favor of them at first. Then came the screw ups and over indulgences,
> then came the red light cams and their tickets for legally turning right
> on red and then the shorter amber cycles....

But those of us that highlight the abuses and scams in the beginning
get called "kooks" and worse. When the things come out as scams, when
the abuses are well known, it's forgotten that the "kooks" were right
all along or worse change can't happen because nobody wants to speak up
and be called a "kook".

Old March 25th 10, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
david

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:46:16 -0500, RM v2.0 rearranged some electrons to
say:

>> And... to get an inspection you must connect to the OBD2. Who's to
>> say
>> they won't send the black box data to your insurance company and to the
>> local police traffic division. Of course, you have *nothing* to hide.
>> Except when you hit 71 in a 60 zone while getting past that log truck
>> one day. No one including yourself noticed; until your rates spike by
>> $71 and you get a speeding ticket in the mail. Is that such a far
>> fetched idea?
>>
>> --
>> .

> If the OBD2 doesnt work they can tailpipe it. Just go up the harness
> somewhere and cut 1 of the wires to the port.

You should check the law before you follow this bad advice.

Where I live. If the car is 1996 or newer, and the OBD2 read fails, it
fails inspection. Period.