Mustang's Neat New Ad

Old November 8th 04, 02:41 AM
Bakewell

Default Mustang's Neat New Ad

This new Corba Corn field Ad is outstanding. That car is my next car ...
because McQueen is in the Ad. WOW !!!!!

Old November 8th 04, 02:41 AM
Bakewell

Old November 8th 04, 01:13 PM
bill

>This new Corba Corn field Ad is outstanding. That car is my next car ...
>because McQueen is in the Ad. WOW !!!!!

Am I the only one who thought it was stupid to have McQueen in an ad for
anything other than the Bullitt?

bill
Car: '64.5 Mustang: 260 V8, 3 sp, factory a/c, SVO cam, Performer intake,
Holley 390 cfm carb, Pertronix, Hi-Po exhaust manifolds, 1.5" front & 1" rear
drop, Jacobs wires, Torq Thrust D's

Guns: Colt AR15, Sig P220, Moss. 590A1, Marlin 70P
Old November 8th 04, 01:39 PM
RowdyRebel

"bill" > wrote in message
> >This new Corba Corn field Ad is outstanding. That car is my next car ...
>>because McQueen is in the Ad. WOW !!!!!

> Am I the only one who thought it was stupid to have McQueen in an ad for
> anything other than the Bullitt?

I have to agree with you - it would have been great in 2001 when the Bullitt
came out to have a commercial like that - McQueen getting behind the seat of
a Bullitt, and maybe jumping a hill or 2 in San Fran.

Old November 8th 04, 11:29 PM
Scotter

You are arguing semantics.
"Bullit" vs. "Mustang GT"?
Kinda like seeing the ad as "wrong" or in your words, "stupid" because the
Mustang in the movie was a different color than the one in the ad... or
different year... or cubic inches or whatever.

Old November 10th 04, 01:44 PM
bill

>You are arguing semantics.
>"Bullit" vs. "Mustang GT"?
>Kinda like seeing the ad as "wrong" or in your words, "stupid" because the
>Mustang in the movie was a different color than the one in the ad... or
>different year... or cubic inches or whatever.

I'm guessing this is a response to my post? Next time quote the text you
respond to, proper netiquette and all.

Anyway..., no, it's not semantics at all. Steve McQueen starred in "Bullitt"
36 years ago. Ford decided that a "Bullitt" Mustang would be a big seller
regardless of the Mustang GT because of the popularity of the movie, car and
character among Mustang aficionados.

IMO the color, year or cubic inches doesn't matter. Is it heresy to admit that
I never liked Highland Green? To me the whole issue is the actual car model.
While there had never been a Bullitt Mustang before, Steve McQueen was _the_
person to introduce it.

Would you still consider it semantics if they CGed Steve McQueen into an
ad/trailer for Saving Private Ryan or Pear Harbor just because he was in
another war flick, The Great Escape?

Just my $.02.

It still amazes me that Ford totally flubbed the opportunity to have done this
type of ad for the Bullitt. It is a pretty cool ad though. I'm sure I'm not
the only guy who wishes he had enough money for his own track to play on.

Old November 13th 04, 12:30 AM
dwight

"RowdyRebel" > wrote in message

> "bill" > wrote in message
>> >This new Corba Corn field Ad is outstanding. That car is my next car ...
>>>because McQueen is in the Ad. WOW !!!!!

>> Am I the only one who thought it was stupid to have McQueen in an ad for
>> anything other than the Bullitt?
>>

> I have to agree with you - it would have been great in 2001 when the
> Bullitt came out to have a commercial like that - McQueen getting behind
> the seat of a Bullitt, and maybe jumping a hill or 2 in San Fran.

You may both be right, but the 05 Mustang... doesn't it look a lot more like
the car he drove in the movie than the 04 Bullitt?

Maybe it's just me.

Love the commercial, would never give the keys over to McQueen.

dwight

Old November 13th 04, 02:04 PM
John

"dwight" > wrote in message
> "RowdyRebel" > wrote in message

>>> Am I the only one who thought it was stupid to have McQueen in an ad for
>>> anything other than the Bullitt?
>>>

>> I have to agree with you - it would have been great in 2001 when the
>> Bullitt came out to have a commercial like that - McQueen getting behind
>> the seat of a Bullitt, and maybe jumping a hill or 2 in San Fran.

> You may both be right, but the 05 Mustang... doesn't it look a lot more
> like the car he drove in the movie than the 04 Bullitt?
>
> Maybe it's just me.
>
> Love the commercial, would never give the keys over to McQueen.
>
> dwight

But he was "in character". That was Lt. Frank Bullitt.

Some Bullitt trivia:

Two Mustangs and two Dodge Chargers were used for the famous chase scene.
Both Mustangs were owned by the Ford Motor Company and part of a promotional
loan agreement with Warner Brothers. The cars were modified for the
high-speed chase by veteran auto racer Max Balchowsky. Stunt coordinator
Carey Loftin got Bud Ekins to drive the Mustang for the bulk of the stunts.
Both of the Dodges were junked after the filming, as was one of the
Mustangs. The other less banged-up Mustang was purchased by a WB employee
after all production and post-production was completed. The car ended up in
New Jersey a few years later, where Steve McQueen attempted to buy it. The
owner refused to sell, and the car now sits in a barn and has not been
driven in many years.

Bill S., that's up in your neighborhood. That would be a nice find!

--
John
ThunderSnake #59

Old November 13th 04, 04:03 PM
Joe

"John" > wrote in
:

> "dwight" > wrote in message
>> "RowdyRebel" > wrote in message

>>> I have to agree with you - it would have been great in 2001 when
>>> the Bullitt came out to have a commercial like that - McQueen
>>> getting behind the seat of a Bullitt, and maybe jumping a hill or
>>> 2 in San Fran.

>> You may both be right, but the 05 Mustang... doesn't it look a lot
>> more like the car he drove in the movie than the 04 Bullitt?
>>
>> Maybe it's just me.
>>
>> Love the commercial, would never give the keys over to McQueen.
>>
>> dwight
>>

> But he was "in character". That was Lt. Frank Bullitt.
>
> Some Bullitt trivia:
>
> Two Mustangs and two Dodge Chargers were used for the famous chase
> scene. Both Mustangs were owned by the Ford Motor Company and part
> of a promotional loan agreement with Warner Brothers. The cars were
> modified for the high-speed chase by veteran auto racer Max
> Balchowsky. Stunt coordinator Carey Loftin got Bud Ekins to drive
> the Mustang for the bulk of the stunts. Both of the Dodges were
> junked after the filming, as was one of the Mustangs. The other less
> banged-up Mustang was purchased by a WB employee after all
> production and post-production was completed. The car ended up in
> New Jersey a few years later, where Steve McQueen attempted to buy
> it. The owner refused to sell, and the car now sits in a barn and
> has not been driven in many years.
>
> Bill S., that's up in your neighborhood. That would be a nice find!

http://people.freenet.de/pony/bullit.htm
http://www.people.freenet.de/pony/bullitf.htm
http://www.people.freenet.de/pony/barn5.htm

The last link goes on about where the car is now. Interesting stuff.

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC
Old November 17th 04, 10:43 PM
Dana H. Myers

Patrick wrote:
> By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News
>
> Ford brings Steve McQueen back to life using a body double.
>
> If you build it, they will come.
>
> But will they buy?
>
> Ford Motor Co. expects to get the answer next month when a new Mustang
> television commercial begins airing. The ad is an homage to the
> tear-jerking 1989 movie "Field of Dreams," in which Kevin Costner
> portrays a dreamer who conjures the spirits of Shoeless Joe Jackson
> and other baseball players when he builds a playing field on his farm.

[...]

> Cut from a 75-acre cornfield, the track was modeled after Willow
> Springs International Raceway, about 65 miles northeast of Santa
> Clarita, Calif. So meticulous was the film crew that some ears of corn
> were hand-placed.

I guess I must be a nerd, because I *immediately* noticed the outline
of Willow Springs; I used to race motorcycles there.

The commercial is pretty good; after seeing it, I'm going
to have dig out my Bullitt DVD for another viewing...

Dana