When Is Ford Going To Build...

Old May 31st 11, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
NoOp[_2_]

Default When Is Ford Going To Build...

.... a street version of this?

http://www.mustangheaven.com/2011/po...ack/#more-6102

Patrick
Old June 1st 11, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-05-31, NoOp > wrote:
> ... a street version of this?
>
> http://www.mustangheaven.com/2011/po...ack/#more-6102

Ford has been building these cobra jet drag racing cars every year for
at least a couple years now. They will never be for the street, they make
just a few, they start at like $92K and most of them are sealed up in
people's collections.

Old June 1st 11, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
NoOp[_3_]

On May 31, 7:45*pm, Brent > wrote:
> On 2011-05-31, NoOp > wrote:
>
> > ... a street version of this?

> >http://www.mustangheaven.com/2011/po...-cobra-jet-sig...

> Ford has been building these cobra jet drag racing cars every year for
> at least a couple years now. They will never be for the street, they make
> just a few, they start at like $92K and most of them are sealed up in
> people's collections.

But why not use that racing image and build a street version?
Obviously, the street version wouldn't be the same beast as the racer,
but some of that same racing spirit could be captured. (Think the new
Boss 302s.)

Patrick

Old June 1st 11, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-06-01, NoOp > wrote:
> On May 31, 7:45*pm, Brent > wrote:
>> On 2011-05-31, NoOp > wrote:
>>
>> > ... a street version of this?

>> >http://www.mustangheaven.com/2011/po...-cobra-jet-sig...

>> Ford has been building these cobra jet drag racing cars every year for
>> at least a couple years now. They will never be for the street, they make
>> just a few, they start at like $92K and most of them are sealed up in
>> people's collections.

> But why not use that racing image and build a street version?
> Obviously, the street version wouldn't be the same beast as the racer,
> but some of that same racing spirit could be captured. (Think the new
> Boss 302s.)

Why? The dealers have enough "rewards" models of mustangs..

Old June 1st 11, 01:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Gill

On 05/31/2011 07:03 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On May 31, 7:45 pm, > wrote:
>> On 2011-05-31, > wrote:
>>
>>> ... a street version of this?

>>> http://www.mustangheaven.com/2011/po...-cobra-jet-sig...

>> Ford has been building these cobra jet drag racing cars every year for
>> at least a couple years now. They will never be for the street, they make
>> just a few, they start at like $92K and most of them are sealed up in
>> people's collections.

> But why not use that racing image and build a street version?
> Obviously, the street version wouldn't be the same beast as the racer,
> but some of that same racing spirit could be captured. (Think the new
> Boss 302s.)
>
> Patrick

One of the guys on the Mecum Auto Auction said, on the last show they
had, that Ford's next Special Mustang is going to be another Mach I
Old June 1st 11, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
NoOp[_3_]

On May 31, 9:48*pm, Brent > wrote:

> >> Ford has been building these cobra jet drag racing cars every year for
> >> at least a couple years now. They will never be for the street, they make
> >> just a few, they start at like $92K and most of them are sealed up in
> >> people's collections.

> > But why not use that racing image and build a street version?
> > Obviously, the street version wouldn't be the same beast as the racer,
> > but some of that same racing spirit could be captured. *(Think the new
> > Boss 302s.)

> Why? The dealers have enough "rewards" models of mustangs..

C-a-m-a-r-o. The last time I checked Mustang was losing the sale
race.

While I'm not asking Ford to offer every conceivable package for the
Mustang, I do support a steady stream of specialty models to help keep
buyers interested. (Options/packages helped fuel the original
Mustang's sales success.)

For a new Cobra Jet, I think interest/a market is there for a "drag
racing" version. Besides costs, the straight axle WAS kept to keep
some knuckle draggers happy. So why not offer a pumped up/stripped
down model for those who believe racing is done in 1320-foot
intervals?

Patrick
Old June 1st 11, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-06-01, NoOp > wrote:

>> > But why not use that racing image and build a street version?
>> > Obviously, the street version wouldn't be the same beast as the racer,
>> > but some of that same racing spirit could be captured. *(Think the new
>> > Boss 302s.)

>> Why? The dealers have enough "rewards" models of mustangs..

> C-a-m-a-r-o. The last time I checked Mustang was losing the sale
> race.

Last I heard the camaro was puttering out... but how is selling a
handful of rewards vehicles going to win a sales race? If it's just
showroom ooohs and ahhhs then the current drag race models are good
enough for that.

> While I'm not asking Ford to offer every conceivable package for the
> Mustang, I do support a steady stream of specialty models to help keep
> buyers interested. (Options/packages helped fuel the original
> Mustang's sales success.)

Ford needs to end 'instant collectable' marketing if it wants sales
numbers. You can be exclusive or you can sell a lot you can't be both.

> For a new Cobra Jet, I think interest/a market is there for a "drag
> racing" version. Besides costs, the straight axle WAS kept to keep
> some knuckle draggers happy. So why not offer a pumped up/stripped
> down model for those who believe racing is done in 1320-foot
> intervals?

So long as they have about $100K they can get one.

Old June 1st 11, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
NoOp[_3_]

On Jun 1, 3:04*pm, Brent > wrote:

> >> Why? The dealers have enough "rewards" models of mustangs..

> > C-a-m-a-r-o. *The last time I checked Mustang was losing the sale
> > race.

> Last I heard the camaro was puttering out... but how is selling a
> handful of rewards vehicles going to win a sales race?

Which recent versions are you calling "rewards" models?

And of these, which ones are you saying/are you saying shouldn't have
been offered?

> If it's just
> showroom ooohs and ahhhs then the current drag race models are good
> enough for that.

Which drag race models? (The GT500 and Boss 302 were breed for road
racing.)

> > While I'm not asking Ford to offer every conceivable package for the
> > Mustang, I do support a steady stream of specialty models to help keep
> > buyers interested. (Options/packages helped fuel the original
> > Mustang's sales success.)

> Ford needs to end 'instant collectable' marketing if it wants sales
> numbers. You can be exclusive or you can sell a lot you can't be both.

IMO, Ford stopped "instant collectables" when they stopped building
the 93R, 95R and 2000R models. Since then everything has been as
purposeful as the early (60's/70s) GTs, CSs, Mach 1s, Bosses, Cobra
Jets, etc.

> > For a new Cobra Jet, I think interest/a market is there for a "drag
> > racing" version. *Besides costs, the straight axle WAS kept to keep
> > some knuckle draggers happy. *So why not offer a pumped up/stripped
> > down model for those who believe racing is done in 1320-foot
> > intervals?

> So long as they have about $100K they can get one.

That's the problem.

Time for them to build a street version that somewhat resembles the
race car but is a bit faster than the standard GT for only a few more
bucks.

Patrick
Old June 2nd 11, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-06-01, NoOp > wrote:

>> > C-a-m-a-r-o. *The last time I checked Mustang was losing the sale
>> > race.

>> Last I heard the camaro was puttering out... but how is selling a
>> handful of rewards vehicles going to win a sales race?

> Which recent versions are you calling "rewards" models?
>
> And of these, which ones are you saying/are you saying shouldn't have
> been offered?

Again, how is selling a version limited at one or less per dealer going
to win a sales race? BOSS 302, GT500, and many others over the last
several years have been dealer reward cars with prices jacked up
anywhere from 5 to 25 grand over sticker.

>> If it's just
>> showroom ooohs and ahhhs then the current drag race models are good
>> enough for that.

> Which drag race models? (The GT500 and Boss 302 were breed for road
> racing.)

I already told you, the cobra jet version has been offered for at least
a couple years now. Most every one of them go straight from the
dealership to being shrinked wrapped in someone's collection.

>> > While I'm not asking Ford to offer every conceivable package for the
>> > Mustang, I do support a steady stream of specialty models to help keep
>> > buyers interested. (Options/packages helped fuel the original
>> > Mustang's sales success.)

>> Ford needs to end 'instant collectable' marketing if it wants sales
>> numbers. You can be exclusive or you can sell a lot you can't be both.

> IMO, Ford stopped "instant collectables" when they stopped building
> the 93R, 95R and 2000R models. Since then everything has been as
> purposeful as the early (60's/70s) GTs, CSs, Mach 1s, Bosses, Cobra
> Jets, etc.

Um no. Boss 302 and GT500 are allocation cars.

>> > For a new Cobra Jet, I think interest/a market is there for a "drag
>> > racing" version. *Besides costs, the straight axle WAS kept to keep
>> > some knuckle draggers happy. *So why not offer a pumped up/stripped
>> > down model for those who believe racing is done in 1320-foot
>> > intervals?

>> So long as they have about $100K they can get one.

> That's the problem.

That's instant collectable marketing. I forgot and be in tight with a
volume dealer...

> Time for them to build a street version that somewhat resembles the
> race car but is a bit faster than the standard GT for only a few more
> bucks.

Maybe they could put a giant king cobra decal on the hood?

Hey Ford build this Nick Naim Driving 7 January 23rd 10 09:52 PM
Repost for new a.b.p.a. members: 1923 Ford Model T Touring Car Highland Park Plant Build Process Exhibit Signage (H Ford Museum) CK 1.jpg 296259 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Auto Photos 0 March 6th 07 01:12 PM
Repost for new a.b.p.a. members: 1923 Ford Model T Touring Car Highland Park Plant Build Process Exhibit rvl (H Ford Museum) CK 1.jpg 431783 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Auto Photos 0 March 6th 07 01:12 PM
Repost for new a.b.p.a. members: 1923 Ford Model T Touring Car Highland Park Plant Build Process Exhibit fvr (H Ford Museum) CK 1.jpg 409327 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Auto Photos 0 March 6th 07 01:11 PM
Ford/Shelby To Build Ultimate Mustang [email protected] Ford Mustang 18 February 22nd 05 04:16 AM