Another Report An EcoBoosted Mustang Is Coming

Old June 1st 11, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
NoOp[_2_]

Default Another Report An EcoBoosted Mustang Is Coming

We have been reporting on the more solid of news that has eeked out
here and there about the next generation 2014-2015 Mustang. As we
reported last October, the next Mustang will be lighter and smaller,
more efficient to meet stringent new emissions and efficiency
regulations brought on by the Obama Administration.

While it is sad our own government of the people, by the people feels
the need to step on our American icons in such a heavy handed way,
there is always a light at the end of the tunnel when the ingenuity of
our American spirit and talent come to fore.

Our friends at Motor Authority are reporting that indeed a four-
cylinder EcoBoost engine may very well be in the works for the
2014-2015 Mustang as we had hinted last October. They report that Ford
may be developing a 2.3 liter version of the 240hp 2.0 liter EcoBoost
turbocharged four.

That engine is coming soon to the Ford Focus ST, Explorer, Taurus, and
Edge. The direct injected engine is built to ultra-high strength
standards and offers considerable power with top efficiency. It would
be an engine likely to be used as a base engine for the new slimmed
down Mustang 3 as it has been loosely termed.

Based on simple math, an enlarged 2.3 liter version with a head design
that makes it conducive to a north-south rear wheel drive installation
could produce at least 275hp, giving similar performance to the
current Mustang with the 305hp 3.7 liter V6.

All the news out there still points to the calming notion that the 5.0
liter V8 isn’t going anywhere, so Mustang faithful should not be
inducing vomiting about now. And Motor Authority also believes as do
we that the 5.0 will eventually get direct injection for higher
efficiency, if not more power.

A smaller V-6 engine under 3.0 liters with turbocharging was also
mentioned in the Motor Authority article as a potential intermediate
engine. Bottom line is that with the ever escalating CAFÉ standards on
the way, the majority of Mustangs sold will need to get up into the
high 30 mpg and even 40 mpg range in the coming decade if it is to
stay alive. Period.

That means smaller more efficient engines at the lower end of the
range, and engines that will appeal to most customers. The larger V8
engines will still exist but likely be more and more exclusive to keep
fleet economy averages in check. And while a four-cylinder Mustang
seems a travesty at face value, remember that the Mustang had a four
cylinder engine for 19 out of its 48 years.

Patrick
Old June 1st 11, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Bob Willard

On 6/1/2011 10:59 AM, NoOp wrote:

> That means smaller more efficient engines at the lower end of the
> range, and engines that will appeal to most customers. The larger V8
> engines will still exist but likely be more and more exclusive to keep
> fleet economy averages in check. And while a four-cylinder Mustang
> seems a travesty at face value, remember that the Mustang had a four
> cylinder engine for 19 out of its 48 years.
>
> Patrick

And not just the Mustang. My '86 Turbo T-bird had a 2.3L 4, with pretty
decent low-end performance for a 5-passenger car.
--
Cheers, Bob