"Mayhem" Mustang a Dumb Name

Old May 14th 11, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
NoOp[_2_]

Default "Mayhem" Mustang a Dumb Name

Love the concept and the car, but that name...? Uumm.. not so much.
To me, the name is corny and doesn't tell you what the car is about.
After all is geared towards the road race set, not the drag
racers.

I think now that the V6/base Mustang is no longer just a pedestrian,
no-thrills poser, and truly garners the respect of a full-on
performance car, wouldn't it have just been better to call the
"Mayhem" Package the V6 Sport Package or just kept name V6 Performance
Package and slapped on a V6 S or Track Pack badge on the car
somewhere? That way the performance package adds to cred of the base
Mustang as opposed to making some buyers think it's another level
(higher horsepower version) of Mustang.

http://www.stangnet.com/2011/05/09/f...ang-v6-mayhem/

Good looking car though!

Patrick
Old May 15th 11, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

"NoOp" > wrote in message
> Love the concept and the car, but that name...? Uumm.. not so much.
> To me, the name is corny and doesn't tell you what the car is about.
> After all is geared towards the road race set, not the drag
> racers.
>
> I think now that the V6/base Mustang is no longer just a pedestrian,
> no-thrills poser, and truly garners the respect of a full-on
> performance car, wouldn't it have just been better to call the
> "Mayhem" Package the V6 Sport Package or just kept name V6 Performance
> Package and slapped on a V6 S or Track Pack badge on the car
> somewhere? That way the performance package adds to cred of the base
> Mustang as opposed to making some buyers think it's another level
> (higher horsepower version) of Mustang.
>
> http://www.stangnet.com/2011/05/09/f...ang-v6-mayhem/
>
> Good looking car though!
>
> Patrick

I won't get into the whole dumbing-down of America, which started well
before my time and of which this is an example. I'll leave that to the
brighter scholar stars among us.

I love it.

Not the name, but the package. Until the Ecoboost comes on line, the Mustang
is stuck with two engines. I don't see Ford offering multiple choices there.
So a performance package to increase the handling and suspension qualities
of the lesser Mustang is a great idea, something that more than a few buyers
would have installed, anyway. An already potent V6, a miserly one, at that,
and now a suspension that can handle a fair amount of FUN... Wonderful.

This is one of only two options that I would order on a V6, the other being
illuminated door sills. I don't need no stinkin' badges, don't need everyone
to know that I've got bigger wheels and stiffer springs, and I surely do not
need an identifying moniker like "Mayhem," which sounds like some
16-year-old picked out.

When you consider that "Mayhem" was the winning entry out of some 3,000...
How bad were the others?

dwight

Old May 15th 11, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 5/15/2011 08:23, dwight wrote:

> "NoOp" > wrote in message
>> Love the concept and the car, but that name...? Uumm.. not so much.
>> To me, the name is corny and doesn't tell you what the car is about.
>> After all is geared towards the road race set, not the drag
>> racers.
>>
>> I think now that the V6/base Mustang is no longer just a pedestrian,
>> no-thrills poser, and truly garners the respect of a full-on
>> performance car, wouldn't it have just been better to call the
>> "Mayhem" Package the V6 Sport Package or just kept name V6 Performance
>> Package and slapped on a V6 S or Track Pack badge on the car
>> somewhere? That way the performance package adds to cred of the base
>> Mustang as opposed to making some buyers think it's another level
>> (higher horsepower version) of Mustang.
>>
>> http://www.stangnet.com/2011/05/09/f...ang-v6-mayhem/
>>
>> Good looking car though!
>>
>> Patrick

> I won't get into the whole dumbing-down of America, which started well
> before my time and of which this is an example. I'll leave that to the
> brighter scholar stars among us.
>
> I love it.

Oh c'mon, that name is totally bitchin' and wicked!

Old May 15th 11, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dickr

On 5/15/2011 9:19 AM, WindsorFox<SS> wrote:
<big snip>

> Oh c'mon, that name is totally bitchin' and wicked!

And it reminds me of the commercials for Allstate? Insurance
where the slogan is: "Watch out for mayhem like me".

Dick in MN

Old May 15th 11, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

"Dickr" > wrote in message
> On 5/15/2011 9:19 AM, WindsorFox<SS> wrote:
> <big snip>
>>
>> Oh c'mon, that name is totally bitchin' and wicked!
>>

> And it reminds me of the commercials for Allstate? Insurance
> where the slogan is: "Watch out for mayhem like me".
>
> Dick in MN

True. I liked the first one I saw, where he's a pretty young woman jogging
down the street, "untethered," shall we say...

Still, a stupid name for a package that serves only to improve the
capabilities of the car.

)

Old May 16th 11, 02:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
NoOp[_3_]

On May 15, 8:23*am, "dwight" > wrote:
> "NoOp" > wrote in message

> > Love the concept and the car, but that name...? *Uumm.. not so much.
> > To me, the name is corny and doesn't tell you what the car is about.
> > After all it's geared towards the road race set, not the drag
> > racers.

> > I think now that the V6/base Mustang is no longer just a pedestrian,
> > no-thrills poser, and truly garners the respect of a full-on
> > performance car, wouldn't it have just been better to call the
> > "Mayhem" Package the V6 Sport Package or just kept name V6 Performance
> > Package and slapped on a V6 S or Track Pack badge on the car
> > somewhere? *That way the performance package adds to cred of the base
> > Mustang as opposed to making some buyers think it's another level
> > (higher horsepower version) of Mustang.

> >http://www.stangnet.com/2011/05/09/f...ang-v6-mayhem/

> > Good looking car though!

> > Patrick

> I won't get into the whole dumbing-down of America, which started well
> before my time and of which this is an example. I'll leave that to the
> brighter scholar stars among us.
>
> I love it.
>
> Not the name, but the package. Until the Ecoboost comes on line, the Mustang
> is stuck with two engines.

I worry an Ecoboost engine might drive up the price of the base model
seeing that it's boosted as opposed to the current and cheaper
normally aspirated V6.

> I don't see Ford offering multiple choices there.
> So a performance package to increase the handling and suspension qualities
> of the lesser Mustang is a great idea, something that more than a few buyers
> would have installed, anyway. An already potent V6, a miserly one, at that,
> and now a suspension that can handle a fair amount of FUN... Wonderful.

> This is one of only two options that I would order on a V6, the other being
> illuminated door sills. I don't need no stinkin' badges, don't need everyone
> to know that I've got bigger wheels and stiffer springs, and I surely do not
> need an identifying moniker like "Mayhem," which sounds like some
> 16-year-old picked out.

Not a badge fan myself but I could see a case for a discreet little
badge on the trunk lid or lower front fender for the typical buyers
who want some recognition for their extra dollars shelled out. Or,
perhaps, an optional blacked-out, "track-pack" hood -- a treatment
like some of the early 5.0 GT Mustangs wore.

> When you consider that "Mayhem" was the winning entry out of some 3,000....
> How bad were the others?

lol

Patrick

Old May 16th 11, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
tke[_2_]

In article
>,
NoOp > wrote:

-- Big Snip --

> Not a badge fan myself but I could see a case for a discreet little
> badge on the trunk lid or lower front fender for the typical buyers
> who want some recognition for their extra dollars shelled out. Or,
> perhaps, an optional blacked-out, "track-pack" hood -- a treatment
> like some of the early 5.0 GT Mustangs wore.
>
> lol
>
> Patrick

Yep, a small something would be fine with me too. I'm a fan of subtlety.

One of my neighbors a few doors away has an 08 GT vert. Looks quite
stock. Has sway bars, 4.10 limited slip, exhaust, all the usual
bolt-ons... And a supercharger (LoL). Unless it's running all you can
tell is that he bought a nice set of wheels and brakes. Last summer he
replaced the GT emblems all around with the v6 emblems. He said he
wanted a sleeper. HA! Damn, does it ever sound nice while running.

If only I had his budget, but I'm working on it.
Old May 16th 11, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 5/16/2011 08:09, NoOp wrote:

>> I won't get into the whole dumbing-down of America, which started well
>> before my time and of which this is an example. I'll leave that to the
>> brighter scholar stars among us.
>>
>> I love it.
>>
>> Not the name, but the package. Until the Ecoboost comes on line, the Mustang
>> is stuck with two engines.

> I worry an Ecoboost engine might drive up the price of the base model
> seeing that it's boosted as opposed to the current and cheaper
> normally aspirated V6.

Which brings a question to mind. Someone once told me, possibly you,
that merely adding a blower regardless of how you drive drops the
efficiency (mileage) dramatically. So, HtH did they make that work? Or,
would the EB get another 15MPG if it were normally aspirated??
Old May 17th 11, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
NoOp[_3_]

On May 16, 9:38*am, "WindsorFox<SS>" >
wrote:
> On 5/16/2011 08:09, NoOp wrote:

> > I worry an Ecoboost engine might drive up the price of the base model
> > seeing that it's boosted as opposed to the current and cheaper
> > normally aspirated V6.

> * * Which brings a question to mind. Someone once told me, possibly you,
> that merely adding a blower regardless of how you drive drops the
> efficiency (mileage) dramatically.

Yes, superchargers are spun by way of the engine's crankshaft, via a
pulley and a belt. At very low revs they're using engine power, but
as soon as the revs come up the lose of power being drained is
overcome by the massive amount of boost/pressure/air they're ramming
into engine to create huge power. .

> So, HtH did they make that work?

Improved engine design/efficiency -- better breathing, less
resistance, etc. .

> Or,
> would the EB get another 15MPG if it were normally aspirated??

I doubt a 15mpg gain; modern blowers are very efficient, but yes, mpg
would be improved. The problem is it wouldn't make the power a larger
displacement engine makes. And that's not good if you're trying to
sell F150s that get better mileage AND make as much power as the
competition.

Patrick

Old May 17th 11, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 5/16/2011 19:35, NoOp wrote:
> On May 16, 9:38 am, >
>> So, HtH did they make that work?

> Improved engine design/efficiency -- better breathing, less
> resistance, etc. .
>
>> Or,
>> would the EB get another 15MPG if it were normally aspirated??

> I doubt a 15mpg gain; modern blowers are very efficient, but yes, mpg
> would be improved. The problem is it wouldn't make the power a larger
> displacement engine makes. And that's not good if you're trying to
> sell F150s that get better mileage AND make as much power as the
> competition.
>
> Patrick

Very valid.