RAMFM - How I remember thee...

Old January 4th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
A Guy Named Steve

Default RAMFM - How I remember thee...

Wow,

I haven't visited anything related to USENET in quite a while. I
didn't even set it up when I got my current laptop. I thought I'd stop
by ol' RAMFM and see if it was still alive.

I guess it is, however nothing like the good ol' days...

I was amazed to see through the Google Groups stats that my old AOL
address is still the #4 poster in the history of the group.
Considering I haven't been on AOL for at least 5 years, I guess I had
some time on my hands back then.

Of course Patrick is still leading the charge.

Although I haven't had a Mustang since New NoOp showed up back around
1999, my father just picked up one of the triple white limited edition
converts a couple of months ago. He's in the process of doing a lot of
work on it to get it back near original condition. It has a LONG ways
to go too!

I still miss having a 5.0, which is what brought me to this group back
around 1996. I haven't ruled out getting another one as it would be a
good car for me to drive to the park and ride 4 days a week to leave it
for 11 hours. But I doubt that I'll find one cheap enough that hasn't
been abused. The nicer ones I see these days are still asking in the
$7-8K range, which is about half what was paid for them back in the
late 80's, early 90's.

Considering I can get a 2006 GTO with the LS2, 6speed, and around
10,000 miles on it for under $25K these days, it can be hard to look
back to the old 5.0's. At the same time, I could probably pay cash for
the Mustang as opposed to still having to finance the GTO. Of course
the warranty on the GTO would be nice too, as I've spent $8000 in the
last two years on my 99 Ranger to have a new long block and the trans
"fixed" (not rebuild, mind you). For that $8000, I could have probably
found a 90's notchback with around 50,000 miles on it.

Oh well, I thought I'd stop by and take a look at the place. With the
web-based forums, it's obviously not what it once was. It's almost
"exclusive" again though, since nobody seems to pay attention to USENET
anymore.

Hmmmm, I should see if I can find Anthony again. Last I heard from him
he was in Texas.

Aloha,

Steve
The original "**** disturber" among other things...

Old January 4th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_1_]

"A Guy Named Steve" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Wow,
>
> I haven't visited anything related to USENET in quite a while. I
> didn't even set it up when I got my current laptop. I thought I'd

stop
> by ol' RAMFM and see if it was still alive.
>
> I guess it is, however nothing like the good ol' days...
>
> I was amazed to see through the Google Groups stats that my old AOL
> address is still the #4 poster in the history of the group.
> Considering I haven't been on AOL for at least 5 years, I guess I had
> some time on my hands back then.
>
> Of course Patrick is still leading the charge.
>
> Although I haven't had a Mustang since New NoOp showed up back around
> 1999, my father just picked up one of the triple white limited edition
> converts a couple of months ago. He's in the process of doing a lot

of
> work on it to get it back near original condition. It has a LONG ways
> to go too!
>
> I still miss having a 5.0, which is what brought me to this group back
> around 1996. I haven't ruled out getting another one as it would be a
> good car for me to drive to the park and ride 4 days a week to leave

it
> for 11 hours. But I doubt that I'll find one cheap enough that hasn't
> been abused. The nicer ones I see these days are still asking in the
> $7-8K range, which is about half what was paid for them back in the
> late 80's, early 90's.
>
> Considering I can get a 2006 GTO with the LS2, 6speed, and around
> 10,000 miles on it for under $25K these days, it can be hard to look
> back to the old 5.0's. At the same time, I could probably pay cash

for
> the Mustang as opposed to still having to finance the GTO. Of course
> the warranty on the GTO would be nice too, as I've spent $8000 in the
> last two years on my 99 Ranger to have a new long block and the trans
> "fixed" (not rebuild, mind you). For that $8000, I could have

probably
> found a 90's notchback with around 50,000 miles on it.
>
> Oh well, I thought I'd stop by and take a look at the place. With the
> web-based forums, it's obviously not what it once was. It's almost
> "exclusive" again though, since nobody seems to pay attention to

USENET
> anymore.
>
> Hmmmm, I should see if I can find Anthony again. Last I heard from

him
> he was in Texas.
>
> Aloha,
>
> Steve
> The original "**** disturber" among other things...

Glad to see you again, Steve. Happy New Year, among other things...

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC
Old January 4th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jimmy[_1_]

Hey Steve...still got the Buick GS? You could probably sell it these
days for a half a bazillion bucks the way the 68-72's have exploded
these days!

Jimmy

Old January 4th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
A Guy Named Steve

Hey Joe and Jimmy,

I haven't had the GS since 2003. I sold it to a guy back in Jersey who
was doing a frame-off on a 71 GS455 convert. I think he wanted a
matching hardtop to restore. I should shoot him an email to see how it
came along.

I've got a 72 Skylark, although it's been almost 2 years since it had a
motor. I spun a rod bearing while testing it at the track. It still
went 13.5 @ 106 mph through the traps in 2nd gear (2.56 open rear). It
should be running in the high 11's when done - hopefully. Last I heard
was that the short block was together and they were going to measure
the length of pushrod that I needed. The costs are down, but the time
to finish is long. It's a tradeoff, but I've had plenty of other
things that needed the money aimed towards them lately.

~Steve
72 Skylark Custom455

Old January 4th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

A Guy Named Steve wrote:

> Hmmmm, I should see if I can find Anthony again. Last I heard from him
> he was in Texas.

I see a good number of them here in La. too. Are you
still way up in the top left corner?

> Aloha,
>
> Steve
> The original "**** disturber" among other things...

I thought that was "Assrhino"??

HAND- Yer pal, Needledick...

--
“I intended that "not stupid" be a requirement.” – Seth
Breidbart
Old January 4th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

Good to hear from you.

Old January 4th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
A Guy Named Steve

On Jan 3, 8:23 pm, WindsorFox > wrote:
> A Guy Named Steve wrote:
>
> > Hmmmm, I should see if I can find Anthony again. Last I heard from him
> > he was in Texas. I see a good number of them here in La. too. Are you

> still way up in the top left corner?

Yep, I'm not planning to go anywhere. I like it here. Plus it's a
good base for going everywhere else. We did Europe (London/Paris)
finally in March. British Airways flies direct from Seattle to London.
It's hard to beat that. We knew that we'd get hooked on that
international travel once we finally got our chance to go. Of course
we're still paying for it. Our next trip is hopefully to Rome and
throughout the wine country in Italy. We're shooting for around
Thanksgiving.

> > Aloha,

> > Steve
> > The original "**** disturber" among other things... I thought that was "Assrhino"??

Yep, I was (am?) that too. With a little research, I could probably
come up with the other stuff too.

> HAND- Yer pal, Needledick...

Where's the **** bagel when we need one?

Steve
72 Skylark Custom455

Old January 4th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
A Guy Named Steve

Hey Michael,

I've been to Quantico a total of five times now. It seems like the
more I'm there, the busier I find myself with class stuff. I'm going
back again in a few weeks, although I don't know how busy we'll be
outside of classes. We do have a research project to do a part of the
class, which I'll likely do on my own time.

I still remember the food you served my first time out - you just don't
get that steamed shrimp/prawns around here like that!

Steve
72 Skylark Custom455

Old January 4th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
A Guy Named Steve

> > Steve
> > The original "**** disturber" among other things... I thought that was "Assrhino"??

> HAND- Yer pal, Needledick...

I just realized that I wasn't the original **** disturber. I was the
original head of the bashing department. Unfortunately Google groups
doesn't go back to 1996. I also liked my quote about adding it to my
"threat collection" (Dirty Harry).

Aw the good ol' days...

Steve
72 Skylark Custom455

Old January 4th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_1_]

"A Guy Named Steve" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Hey Joe and Jimmy,
>
> I haven't had the GS since 2003. I sold it to a guy back in Jersey

who
> was doing a frame-off on a 71 GS455 convert. I think he wanted a
> matching hardtop to restore. I should shoot him an email to see how

it
> came along.

If it came out right, it should be in a magazine.

> I've got a 72 Skylark, although it's been almost 2 years since it had

> motor. I spun a rod bearing while testing it at the track. It still
> went 13.5 @ 106 mph through the traps in 2nd gear (2.56 open rear).

It
> should be running in the high 11's when done - hopefully. Last I

heard
> was that the short block was together and they were going to measure
> the length of pushrod that I needed. The costs are down, but the time
> to finish is long. It's a tradeoff, but I've had plenty of other
> things that needed the money aimed towards them lately.
>
> ~Steve
> 72 Skylark Custom455

Gotta love 400+ CI motors. I hear ya about the other things that need
money, especially when there's the "other half" to consider. Hope
things are good on that front as well..