Civic Radiator Fan and Cooling System Problem.

Old August 18th 06, 08:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeffrey D.

Default Civic Radiator Fan and Cooling System Problem.

Hi!
Can anyone tell me the disadvantages of having the fan turned on even
when the car is started?

Basically the radiator fan is supposed to turn on only when the engine
is hot already. I have a problem on the engine keeping its temperature
to the mid level. My radiator fan turns too late that it could not keep
the engine at normal operating temperature (at the mid range of the
temp gauge), hence it tends to overheat.

What is the problem with the fan turning on only a few seconds when the
machine is already hot. The overheat tends to happen when the car is
stalled or moving slowly but when during highway driving, it is not.

Please help.

Confused.

Old August 18th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

Jeffrey D. wrote:
> Hi!
> Can anyone tell me the disadvantages of having the fan turned on even
> when the car is started?
>
> Basically the radiator fan is supposed to turn on only when the engine
> is hot already. I have a problem on the engine keeping its temperature
> to the mid level. My radiator fan turns too late that it could not keep
> the engine at normal operating temperature (at the mid range of the
> temp gauge), hence it tends to overheat.
>
> What is the problem with the fan turning on only a few seconds when the
> machine is already hot. The overheat tends to happen when the car is
> stalled or moving slowly but when during highway driving, it is not.
>
> Please help.
>
> Confused.

any bubbles in the coolant?
Old August 18th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

"Jeffrey D." wrote:

> Hi!
> Can anyone tell me the disadvantages of having the fan turned on even
> when the car is started?
>
> Basically the radiator fan is supposed to turn on only when the engine
> is hot already. I have a problem on the engine keeping its temperature
> to the mid level. My radiator fan turns too late that it could not keep
> the engine at normal operating temperature (at the mid range of the
> temp gauge), hence it tends to overheat.
>
> What is the problem with the fan turning on only a few seconds when the
> machine is already hot. The overheat tends to happen when the car is
> stalled or moving slowly but when during highway driving, it is not.
>
> Please help.
>
> Confused.

----------------------------

You have air in your cooling system and your reservoir isn't full enough
(or there's an air leak) so it's not getting the air out. Fill the
reservoir to MAX and check it every morning. Top it up to MAX each time.
Once all the air is expelled the reservoir will be at the same level
each morning. Use premix coolant, not tap water.

'Curly'
Old August 21st 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Jeffrey D. wrote:
> Hi!
> Can anyone tell me the disadvantages of having the fan turned on even
> when the car is started?
>
> Basically the radiator fan is supposed to turn on only when the engine
> is hot already. I have a problem on the engine keeping its temperature
> to the mid level. My radiator fan turns too late that it could not keep
> the engine at normal operating temperature (at the mid range of the
> temp gauge), hence it tends to overheat.
>
> What is the problem with the fan turning on only a few seconds when the
> machine is already hot. The overheat tends to happen when the car is
> stalled or moving slowly but when during highway driving, it is not.
>
> Please help.
>
> Confused.

I just recently got a solid 'Check Engine" light, and noticed that my
TEMP guage initally approaches mid-point, drops to C(old), and then
rises back to mid-point where it stays.
Odd.

I asked about the radiator fans and was told they ONLY should come on
if the car is over-temp, unless the A/C is engaged and then they come
on all the time. I can drive my car around town, stop and go, and the
fans will NEVER come on. The TEMP guage NEVER goes above 3:00 mid-point.

Old August 22nd 06, 10:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeffrey D.

Thanks for all the reply.

There's no air bubble actually.
My concern is that, in order to prevent the overheating, I have to turn
on my fan (bypassed circuit) so that the engine will not overheat. So I
thought that my cooling system is not working properly that it tends to
overheat when it runs slowly or in a parking mode while the engine is
running. So to prevent overheating, i have to turn on the fan all the
time at the start of starting the engine.

So is there any disadvantages to this?

regards,
jeff d.

Old August 23rd 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Jeffrey D." > wrote in
oups.com:

> Thanks for all the reply.
>
> There's no air bubble actually.
> My concern is that, in order to prevent the overheating, I have to
> turn on my fan (bypassed circuit) so that the engine will not
> overheat. So I thought that my cooling system is not working properly
> that it tends to overheat when it runs slowly or in a parking mode
> while the engine is running. So to prevent overheating, i have to turn
> on the fan all the time at the start of starting the engine.
>
> So is there any disadvantages to this?

Yes. The primary disadvantage is that you are using the fan to mask a
problem in your cooling system. A secondary disadvantage is that you may
turn the fan on, forget about it, and run your battery down.

From your description I would suspect someone has installed a 194F (90C)
thermostat. It should be a 78C thermostat.

Without more details on the exact behavior of the engine and the
temperature gauge, I cannot rule out a plugged rad or rotted water pump.

Please give precise details on exactly when the car begins to overheat.
State how many minutes the car is running before the temp gauge begins to
climb abnormally. Tell if it overheats on the highway, in heavy traffic,
only AFTER coming off the highway and slowing down, you get the picture.

Also, what happens to the expansion reservoir level? Does it rise when the
car is hot and drop again once cool? Or does it raise then stay there
forevermore?

Basically, you have a problem with you cooling system. You need to sort
that, not cover it up. Covering it up will eventually cause damage to your
engine.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old August 24th 06, 11:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeffrey D.

Answers below in Jeff:

TeGGeR® wrote:
> "Jeffrey D." > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
> > Thanks for all the reply.
> >
> > There's no air bubble actually.
> > My concern is that, in order to prevent the overheating, I have to
> > turn on my fan (bypassed circuit) so that the engine will not
> > overheat. So I thought that my cooling system is not working properly
> > that it tends to overheat when it runs slowly or in a parking mode
> > while the engine is running. So to prevent overheating, i have to turn
> > on the fan all the time at the start of starting the engine.
> >
> > So is there any disadvantages to this?

> Yes. The primary disadvantage is that you are using the fan to mask a
> problem in your cooling system. A secondary disadvantage is that you may
> turn the fan on, forget about it, and run your battery down.

Jeff: I agree, this is masking the problem and not identifying the real
root cause of it.
I have to make sure that my key is removed to make the fan turn-off.

> From your description I would suspect someone has installed a 194F (90C)
> thermostat. It should be a 78C thermostat.

Jeff: The car doesn't have a thermostat anymore. It was removed
previously when the engine overheated. We thought it was due to the
thermostat NOT functioning that caused the previous overheating. We
tried to install again with a functional thermostat with 78degC rating
but the same thing happens.

> Without more details on the exact behavior of the engine and the
> temperature gauge, I cannot rule out a plugged rad or rotted water pump.
>
> Please give precise details on exactly when the car begins to overheat.
> State how many minutes the car is running before the temp gauge begins to
> climb abnormally. Tell if it overheats on the highway, in heavy traffic,
> only AFTER coming off the highway and slowing down, you get the picture.

Jeff: The car overheats after 20 to 30 minutes of use without the fan.
It took a long time the fan to turn on so this is primary concern. And
when it turns on, it is just for a few seconds not even reaching a
minute, so the fan is bypassed. It OVERHEATS in HEAVY TRAFFIC, only
AFTER COMING OFF THE HIGHWAY and SLOWING DOWN. So your question is
perfectly attuned to my concern. So what seems to be the cars problem?

> Also, what happens to the expansion reservoir level?

Jeff: I noticed the water has not decreased in level.

Does it rise when the
> car is hot and drop again once cool? Or does it raise then stay there
> forevermore?

Jeff: It stays as is. So I have to add only a little water on the
radiator itself but NOT as often as I have to.

> Basically, you have a problem with you cooling system. You need to sort
> that, not cover it up. Covering it up will eventually cause damage to your
> engine.

Jeff: I totally agree with you. Can you send more information to this
address: .

Old August 24th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Jeffrey D. wrote:
> Answers below in Jeff:
>
> TeGGeR® wrote:
>> "Jeffrey D." > wrote in
>> oups.com:
>>
>>> Thanks for all the reply.
>>>
>>> There's no air bubble actually.
>>> My concern is that, in order to prevent the overheating, I have to
>>> turn on my fan (bypassed circuit) so that the engine will not
>>> overheat. So I thought that my cooling system is not working properly
>>> that it tends to overheat when it runs slowly or in a parking mode
>>> while the engine is running. So to prevent overheating, i have to turn
>>> on the fan all the time at the start of starting the engine.
>>>
>>> So is there any disadvantages to this?

>> Yes. The primary disadvantage is that you are using the fan to mask a
>> problem in your cooling system. A secondary disadvantage is that you may
>> turn the fan on, forget about it, and run your battery down.

> Jeff: I agree, this is masking the problem and not identifying the real
> root cause of it.
> I have to make sure that my key is removed to make the fan turn-off.
>
>> From your description I would suspect someone has installed a 194F (90C)
>> thermostat. It should be a 78C thermostat.

> Jeff: The car doesn't have a thermostat anymore. It was removed
> previously when the engine overheated. We thought it was due to the
> thermostat NOT functioning that caused the previous overheating. We
> tried to install again with a functional thermostat with 78degC rating
> but the same thing happens.

never ever run without the thermostat. there are two [three if you
include the cabin heater] coolant circuits on the honda. if you remove
the thermostat, you foul up the flow between the two main circuits.

>> Without more details on the exact behavior of the engine and the
>> temperature gauge, I cannot rule out a plugged rad or rotted water pump.
>>
>> Please give precise details on exactly when the car begins to overheat.
>> State how many minutes the car is running before the temp gauge begins to
>> climb abnormally. Tell if it overheats on the highway, in heavy traffic,
>> only AFTER coming off the highway and slowing down, you get the picture.

> Jeff: The car overheats after 20 to 30 minutes of use without the fan.
> It took a long time the fan to turn on so this is primary concern. And
> when it turns on, it is just for a few seconds not even reaching a
> minute, so the fan is bypassed. It OVERHEATS in HEAVY TRAFFIC, only
> AFTER COMING OFF THE HIGHWAY and SLOWING DOWN. So your question is
> perfectly attuned to my concern. So what seems to be the cars problem?

ok, do the simple stuff first. check the rad for blockage internally
with goop, and externally with bugs. if it's ok, get a chemical test
done on the coolant for head gasket leakage. you may not be losing much
coolant, but it'll still bubble if it's leaking.

>> Also, what happens to the expansion reservoir level?

> Jeff: I noticed the water has not decreased in level.
>
> Does it rise when the
>> car is hot and drop again once cool? Or does it raise then stay there
>> forevermore?

> Jeff: It stays as is. So I have to add only a little water on the
> radiator itself but NOT as often as I have to.
>
>> Basically, you have a problem with you cooling system. You need to sort
>> that, not cover it up. Covering it up will eventually cause damage to your
>> engine.

> Jeff: I totally agree with you. Can you send more information to this
> address: .
>
>> --
>> TeGGeR®
>>
>> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

suspect #1 - head gasket. be careful about continuing to drive in this
condition - you can cause expensive damage.
Old August 25th 06, 10:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeffrey D.

Thanks Jim.

Are you talking about the cylinder head gasket which is the culprit of
this problem?

regards,
jeffrey

Old August 25th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Jeffrey D. wrote:
> Thanks Jim.
>
> Are you talking about the cylinder head gasket which is the culprit of
> this problem?

yes. you need to do testing to confirm diagnosis.