Car destruct sequence?

Old January 25th 06, 09:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Car destruct sequence?

Hi.

I was wondering about a self destruct system for a car that would be
used to transport sensitive documents or items that could cause serious
problems if they fall into the wrong hands. Sort of like the ability to
scuttle a ship when it's being taken over and there's no hope.

Would the following work? You have a console on the dashboard with a
keyed activation system and a timer that can be set to some length of
time to permit abandoning the car before it blows. When the timer
reaches zero, all the safeties on the engine are disabled and then the
mechanism revs and revs and revs and revs the engine far past normal
safe limits until it blows it's top. The timer could also be activated
by remote, and when active would emit a shrill 100 dB alarm whine.

Not that I'm going to build this rigged-up car or anything, but I'm
curious if this would work. I think I saw a self destructing car in a
movie once, and then I got interested in the idea.

Old January 25th 06, 11:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

mike3 wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I was wondering about a self destruct system for a car that would be
> used to transport sensitive documents or items that could cause serious
> problems if they fall into the wrong hands. Sort of like the ability to
> scuttle a ship when it's being taken over and there's no hope.
>
> Would the following work? You have a console on the dashboard with a
> keyed activation system and a timer that can be set to some length of
> time to permit abandoning the car before it blows. When the timer
> reaches zero, all the safeties on the engine are disabled and then the
> mechanism revs and revs and revs and revs the engine far past normal
> safe limits until it blows it's top. The timer could also be activated
> by remote, and when active would emit a shrill 100 dB alarm whine.
>
> Not that I'm going to build this rigged-up car or anything, but I'm
> curious if this would work. I think I saw a self destructing car in a
> movie once, and then I got interested in the idea.

If the idea is to actually destroy whatever is in the passenger
compartment or trunk, then no, it won't work. You'll just end up with
a car with a thrashed engine.

nate

Old January 25th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

mike3 wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I was wondering about a self destruct system for a car that would be
> used to transport sensitive documents or items that could cause serious
> problems if they fall into the wrong hands. Sort of like the ability to
> scuttle a ship when it's being taken over and there's no hope.
>
> Would the following work? You have a console on the dashboard with a
> keyed activation system and a timer that can be set to some length of
> time to permit abandoning the car before it blows. When the timer
> reaches zero, all the safeties on the engine are disabled and then the
> mechanism revs and revs and revs and revs the engine far past normal
> safe limits until it blows it's top. The timer could also be activated
> by remote, and when active would emit a shrill 100 dB alarm whine.
>
> Not that I'm going to build this rigged-up car or anything, but I'm
> curious if this would work. I think I saw a self destructing car in a
> movie once, and then I got interested in the idea.

I can tell you that the self destruction of an engine in this manner is
usually well contained in the block. Now if you were talking about a
turbine engine, all bets are off.
For document destruction you would be better off with a mechanism
attached to the document container. Better yet, carry the documents in
digital form and they could easily be destroyed by light or magnetism.
I suspect you are watching movies from the 60's, not that there's
anything wrong with it.

Old January 25th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

you can check Iraq. I think they have methods there that work unfortunately,
not like your saying of course.

Old January 25th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

mike3 wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I was wondering about a self destruct system for a car that would be
> used to transport sensitive documents or items that could cause serious
> problems if they fall into the wrong hands. Sort of like the ability to
> scuttle a ship when it's being taken over and there's no hope.
>
> Would the following work? You have a console on the dashboard with a
> keyed activation system and a timer that can be set to some length of
> time to permit abandoning the car before it blows. When the timer
> reaches zero, all the safeties on the engine are disabled and then the
> mechanism revs and revs and revs and revs the engine far past normal
> safe limits until it blows it's top. The timer could also be activated
> by remote, and when active would emit a shrill 100 dB alarm whine.
>
> Not that I'm going to build this rigged-up car or anything, but I'm
> curious if this would work. I think I saw a self destructing car in a
> movie once, and then I got interested in the idea.

The documents are what needs to be destroyed, and stopping the car or
destroying the engine won't do that. A scuttling charge to destroy
vehicle, package and driver might be a bit drastic. Some sort of
document destruction system within the container would have the best
chances of working.

Old January 25th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Well that flash-paper and water-soluble paper you hear about in the spy
movies aren't totally fiction, you know.

I bet you could make paper out of gun cotton...

-D

Old January 25th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, mike3 wrote:

> I was wondering about a self destruct system for a car that would be
> used to transport sensitive documents or items that could cause serious
> problems if they fall into the wrong hands. Sort of like the ability to
> scuttle a ship when it's being taken over and there's no hope.
>
> Would the following work? You have a console on the dashboard with a
> keyed activation system and a timer that can be set to some length of
> time to permit abandoning the car before it blows. When the timer
> reaches zero, all the safeties on the engine are disabled and then the
> mechanism revs and revs and revs and revs the engine far past normal
> safe limits until it blows it's top. The timer could also be activated
> by remote, and when active would emit a shrill 100 dB alarm whine.

Several possibilities exist:

1) You watch too many Hollyweird movies

2) You read too many comic books

3) You are 12

4) All of the above
Old January 25th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Your idea will damage the engine, but that's it. The rest of the car should be
fine.
--------------
Alex

Old January 26th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

John S. wrote:
> mike3 wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I was wondering about a self destruct system for a car that would be
> > used to transport sensitive documents or items that could cause serious
> > problems if they fall into the wrong hands. Sort of like the ability to
> > scuttle a ship when it's being taken over and there's no hope.
> >
> > Would the following work? You have a console on the dashboard with a
> > keyed activation system and a timer that can be set to some length of
> > time to permit abandoning the car before it blows. When the timer
> > reaches zero, all the safeties on the engine are disabled and then the
> > mechanism revs and revs and revs and revs the engine far past normal
> > safe limits until it blows it's top. The timer could also be activated
> > by remote, and when active would emit a shrill 100 dB alarm whine.
> >
> > Not that I'm going to build this rigged-up car or anything, but I'm
> > curious if this would work. I think I saw a self destructing car in a
> > movie once, and then I got interested in the idea.

> The documents are what needs to be destroyed, and stopping the car or
> destroying the engine won't do that. A scuttling charge to destroy
> vehicle, package and driver might be a bit drastic. Some sort of
> document destruction system within the container would have the best
> chances of working.

Well, is there any way to cause an engine to explode in such as way as
destroy the cab, other than slapping a hi-ex pack on the gas tank?

Old January 26th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

mike3 wrote:
> John S. wrote:
> > mike3 wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > I was wondering about a self destruct system for a car that would be
> > > used to transport sensitive documents or items that could cause serious
> > > problems if they fall into the wrong hands. Sort of like the ability to
> > > scuttle a ship when it's being taken over and there's no hope.
> > >
> > > Would the following work? You have a console on the dashboard with a
> > > keyed activation system and a timer that can be set to some length of
> > > time to permit abandoning the car before it blows. When the timer
> > > reaches zero, all the safeties on the engine are disabled and then the
> > > mechanism revs and revs and revs and revs the engine far past normal
> > > safe limits until it blows it's top. The timer could also be activated
> > > by remote, and when active would emit a shrill 100 dB alarm whine.
> > >
> > > Not that I'm going to build this rigged-up car or anything, but I'm
> > > curious if this would work. I think I saw a self destructing car in a
> > > movie once, and then I got interested in the idea.

> > The documents are what needs to be destroyed, and stopping the car or
> > destroying the engine won't do that. A scuttling charge to destroy
> > vehicle, package and driver might be a bit drastic. Some sort of
> > document destruction system within the container would have the best
> > chances of working.

> Well, is there any way to cause an engine to explode in such as way as
> destroy the cab, other than slapping a hi-ex pack on the gas tank?

This is getting weirder and weirder...you better take this elsewhere....