For the Volvo aficionado's....:))

Old January 7th 04, 04:30 AM
Exit

DBurch7672 wrote:
> Part-time 4WD is pointless - if you're going to have 4WD have it all
> the time.
>
> What if one is NOT an Arab oil sheikh, a Texas oil baron, a British,
> (North Sea) oil whatever; and/or do NOT have the bank account of same?

LOL!

My Land Rover Discovery 2.5 diesel does 30mpg with permanent 4WD. Are you
sure it isn't the engine eating all that fuel, not a couple of gears in the
front axle? ;-)

--
Julian
---------

Old January 7th 04, 04:32 AM
Exit

L0nD0t.$t0we11" <"L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
> Roughly 1/6/04 14:40, DBurch7672's monkeys randomly typed:
>
>> Part-time 4WD is pointless - if you're going to have 4WD have it all
>> the time.

> That's one opinion. Not one held by anyone with a clue about
> 4x4 drive systems, but an opinion nontheless.

So, errr, what exactly is the advantage of part-time 4WD?

--
Julian
---------

Old January 7th 04, 04:32 AM
Exit

Old January 7th 04, 12:39 PM
Douglas A. Shrader

"Exit" > wrote in message
> L0nD0t.$t0we11" <"L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
> > Roughly 1/6/04 14:40, DBurch7672's monkeys randomly typed:
> >
> >> Part-time 4WD is pointless - if you're going to have 4WD have it all
> >> the time.

> > That's one opinion. Not one held by anyone with a clue about
> > 4x4 drive systems, but an opinion nontheless.
> >>

> So, errr, what exactly is the advantage of part-time 4WD?

I can turn much sharper in 2 wheel drive than I can when I engage the four
wheel drive, tthe last full time I had (a Jeep pickup) would eat a set of
front tires in 10,000 miles, you get better fuel milage in 2 wheel drive,
you have less wear and tear on the vehicle in 2 wheel drive and 95% of the
time I don't need four wheel drive, but when I need it I NEED it, so what
would be the point of full time?

Old January 7th 04, 12:39 PM
Douglas A. Shrader

Old January 7th 04, 06:42 PM
Exit

Douglas A. Shrader wrote:
> "Exit" > wrote in message
>> L0nD0t.$t0we11" <"L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
>>> Roughly 1/6/04 14:40, DBurch7672's monkeys randomly typed:

>>> That's one opinion. Not one held by anyone with a clue about
>>> 4x4 drive systems, but an opinion nontheless.
>>>>

>> So, errr, what exactly is the advantage of part-time 4WD?

> I can turn much sharper in 2 wheel drive than I can when I engage the
> four wheel drive, tthe last full time I had (a Jeep pickup) would eat
> a set of front tires in 10,000 miles, you get better fuel milage in 2
> wheel drive, you have less wear and tear on the vehicle in 2 wheel
> drive and 95% of the time I don't need four wheel drive, but when I
> need it I NEED it, so what would be the point of full time?

If your 4WD setup reduces your turning ability and eats tyres like that it
must be a very bad setup. My tyres (with fulltime 4WD) last 40,000 miles and
handling is unaffected. As for fuel consumption, the savings are very
marginal from what I have experienced, perhaps there are some figures that
would demonstrate the savings? As for wear and tear, well it must be a
delicate vehicle if driving your 4WD in 4WD wears it out prematurely.

The point of full-time 4WD is that it is always there when you need it. You
hit a greasy bit of tarmac, its already there, pulling out of a wet
junction - already there. Patchy snow covered road with some clear tarmac,
already there. Towing heavy loads on road etc, etc.

I wonder if part-time is so good, why all manufacturers have or are dumping
it?

--
Julian
---------

Old January 7th 04, 06:42 PM
Exit

Old January 7th 04, 07:36 PM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Roughly 1/6/04 20:32, Exit's monkeys randomly typed:

> L0nD0t.$t0we11" <"L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
>> Roughly 1/6/04 14:40, DBurch7672's monkeys randomly typed:
>>
>>> Part-time 4WD is pointless - if you're going to have 4WD have it all
>>> the time.

>> That's one opinion. Not one held by anyone with a clue about
>> 4x4 drive systems, but an opinion nontheless.
>>>

> So, errr, what exactly is the advantage of part-time 4WD?

To define the terms:

Full Time 4wd is one where you can leave the thing engaged
all the time on dry pavement or wherever. AWD and 4WD differ
in this version in that AWD is usually used for vehicles
with no low range. This type of 4wd has slippage available
so the rear and front differentials can turn at different
rates when needed...which is the case on non-slippery
surfaces.

Part time 4wd is hardcore offroading. You don't use it
on dry pavement or non-slippery surfaces. First time you
get a fancy Volvo off into a spot of Nevada alkali mud,
ask the guy with the Jeep that just pulled you out why
this type is better.

--
Fan of the dumbest team in America.

Old January 7th 04, 07:36 PM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Old January 7th 04, 11:27 PM
Exit

L0nD0t.$t0we11" <"L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
> Roughly 1/6/04 20:32, Exit's monkeys randomly typed:
>
>> L0nD0t.$t0we11" <"L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
>>> Roughly 1/6/04 14:40, DBurch7672's monkeys randomly typed:

>>> That's one opinion. Not one held by anyone with a clue about
>>> 4x4 drive systems, but an opinion nontheless.
>>>>

>> So, errr, what exactly is the advantage of part-time 4WD?

> To define the terms:
>
> Full Time 4wd is one where you can leave the thing engaged
> all the time on dry pavement or wherever. AWD and 4WD differ
> in this version in that AWD is usually used for vehicles
> with no low range. This type of 4wd has slippage available
> so the rear and front differentials can turn at different
> rates when needed...which is the case on non-slippery
> surfaces.
>
> Part time 4wd is hardcore offroading. You don't use it
> on dry pavement or non-slippery surfaces. First time you
> get a fancy Volvo off into a spot of Nevada alkali mud,
> ask the guy with the Jeep that just pulled you out why
> this type is better.

Mine is neither - it is 4WD all the time with no 2WD option. I have a
lockable centre diff and transfer box that allows me to have 4WD high or low
with or without the diff-locked in any combination. This allows such things
as using low box without diff-lock on hard surfaces for maneuvring trailers
for example or using hi ratio 4WD on snowy roads dropping the centre diff in
and out as needed at any speed.

What advantages does part-time 4WD have over that?

--
Julian
---------