76 problem - advice requested.

Old July 16th 10, 04:35 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

Default 76 problem - advice requested.

On Jul 16, 9:58*am, " > wrote:
> [...]

> > > pump.
> > > Before the bolt hole was cast into the block it was a real pain to
> > > do.
> > > Get a new rod, gaskets for pump and mounting plate and some gasket
> > > cement and go for it.

> > > Good luck
> > > PDDeen

> > > Now there's a good one I forgot, been with the electric fuel pumps
> > > long.http://www.classiccarauto.com/impala...vy_fuel_pump.s...
> > > Good picture direction although it looks like an old front mounted
> > > SBC
> > > so the hole to retain it wasn't/couldn't be used. A new fuel pump
> > > and
> > > rod may be in order at this age, yours will have a bigger canister.
> > > Also the hose should be replaced. Fitting wrenches are a must. Both
> > > the fuel pump and the rod fromhttps://www.rockauto.com/canbeless
> > > than $50.

> > Good example of not knowing what all the bolts on an engine are for.
> > The '64 Impala would have the bolt I referred to as well as the 305
> > small block. The only one I can not remember seeing it on was a '56
> > Vette and it may have been because of the engine mount plate.All of
> > the later mechanical pump engines should have the bolt. It is around
> > the corner to the front of the block and looks like it has a large
> > flat washer on it. As I remember it is't a flat washer but is a fiber
> > washer. Bolt is @ 1/2" and I used a 1" tightened finger tight only. I
> > just needs to hold the bolt during assembly.

> > YMMV

> > Paul

> > That's what intrigued me about the pictures in the repair site. As far
> > as I know the only front mount SBC was '55, '56, and '57. The Impala
> > didn't exist then. Strange pictures with the wood frame and all. I
> > never had to use that bolt to retain the push rod but only changed 4
> > or 5, the last being on a '73 Chevy van while on vacation.

> Sorry it took me awhile to find time to get to it, but ....
>
> Well, well, well - here's the skinny!
>
> I disconnected all the belts and fired it up and it makes normal
> noises for a 35 year old engine!
>
> I hooked them up one by one and the noise was still gone. However,
> more closely examining everything, the head of the bottom mounting
> bolt for the power steering pump has snapped off. That allows some
> degree of movement and hence the clanking noises I hear I think.
>
> Trying to remove it, it is in a different position so does not seem to
> wiggle. I fired it up and sure enough - the noise seems to have gone
> away.
>
> Now to effect a permanent fix, I need to see if that bottom bolt
> screws into the mount assembly somehow or whether it can be punched
> out. Looks like I may have to disconnect and remove the power steering
> pump.
>
> If I can do that and the noise has disappeared for good, I am a happy
> camper, but I will not know until I get there I guess.....

Good grief - it never rains but it pours.....

The bolt slides thru the steering pump body it seems, but there is a
spacer nut on the back - too thin to get a wrench on and it is holding
the power steering pump to the bracket. If I try to spin it out, it
locks the bracket tighter to the pump body.

I have the alternator and steering brackets off, but I cannot get the
damned thing loose. If it were loose I could spin the bolt thru and
replace it. And of course the head is snapped off so I cannot just
break it loose.

The power steering hoses are frozen to the assembly under the car so
it will be really tough to try to get all that loose and remove it
all..

What to do? (Be gentle - I am no expert and admit it) .......

| | PS Pump|
===|[]======= <- Bolt thru pump body
| | |
| Nut holding bolt on (frozen to it)
Power steering Bracket
Old July 17th 10, 05:30 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

> wrote in message news:666ad6d3-c327-40e4-b9cb-

> Wish could post pics on these groups - would make it much easier.....

Use this site to make a pic with a link.

http://www.pixentral.com/

-W

Old July 17th 10, 05:33 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message
m...

> > wrote in message news:666ad6d3-c327-40e4-b9cb-
>
>> Wish could post pics on these groups - would make it much easier.....

> Use this site to make a pic with a link.
>
> http://www.pixentral.com/

And then link the pic here. Like so........

Ex: This is what your rear ed could look like someday..

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...cxqN4iNNthz87c

Old July 17th 10, 02:29 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

Thanks - maybe this will make things more clear...

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...jc6PvADsiopuw1

Old July 18th 10, 11:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

And the answer is! .....

It looks like The 63-74 pump had a hole thru the pump and a long bolt
like in your drawing you posted earlier. the 75-82 had a short bolt in
front and a stud in back. Both pumps will fit in the same bracket.

The stud on the back side of the pump does have a thin nut on it. The
thin nut is part of the stud so it is not going to unscrew. If you
look
closely that bracket hole next to the thin nut is slotted. That slot
is
so the pump can slide out of the bracket without removing the stud
with
the small nut. But you do have to unbolt the bracket from the engine
get the pump out of the bracket.

Are you sure the bolt in front is broken? It could be just missing.
This is what the stud in back looks like:

http://tinyurl.com/3ad5btr
===========
Well - Jim - thank you very much!

I dug around today and it took me awhile to get it, but it was a bolt
missing! I had to take it out of the bracket to make sure it would
thread and you have to get it *just so* to start properly, but my car
is running again without sounding like a run away garburetor. Best of
all, old Betsy lives to ride another day!

I was pretty leery the way it sounded with the banging - it really did
sound like a major engine issue....

Many thanks to you and others who so freely share their expertise with
folks like me who, while not exactly mechanically challenged,
certainly don't have the experience base others do.

Thanks again everyone!!!!

(Now to see why the carb secondaries do not seem to be operating and a
tune up, and some front end parts to tighten up the steering, and...
and... and ....)