Clutch Cable

Old December 27th 04, 02:57 PM
David Holland

Default Clutch Cable

I just installed a new Bowden (Clutch Cable) Tube and the transmission
bracket for it. After four years of rebuilding it's nice to see you can
miss something so visble (for the three years the body was off the
chassis).

Now that I've done this, the clutch cable seems to be about 1/4 inch too
short to get the nut back on. The car has a 1970 chassis and transaxle
(57 body). I've checked to see if the tube was seated fully (seems ok).
I checked the parts number (seems ok). There are different length
cables but since only one year is shorter (1961), I'm assuming it is
unlikely this. The amount of sag in the bowden tube seems ok as well.

Anyone have any ideas? Does anyone know how long the bowden tube should
be for a 1970 chassis? My next step is to take the cable out later
today (after I finish bleeding the brakes) to measure it.

Thx DH

Old December 27th 04, 04:52 PM
Hal

> Now that I've done this, the clutch cable seems to be about 1/4 inch
too
> short to get the nut back on. The car has a 1970 chassis and

transaxle

<snip>

> Anyone have any ideas? Does anyone know how long the bowden tube

should
> be for a 1970 chassis? My next step is to take the cable out later
> today (after I finish bleeding the brakes) to measure it.

Two possibilites come to mind. The pedal stop plate could be holding
the clutch pedal too far forward. The bentley specifies a dimension for
the distance from the end of the pedal to the forward firewall, I don't
have the exact distance handy but perhaps someone else does. The other
possibility, the hook on the end of the cable at the pedal cluster
isn't properly seated. That might be hanging up the cable enough to
keep it from pulling all the way rearward.

It could also be that you have too many washers at the bracket end of
the bowden tube thus sagging it too much and taking up the slack in the
cable.

In my experience I've usually had to physically pull the clutch release
lever towards the front of the car when getting the wingnut started.
Chris

Old December 27th 04, 06:20 PM
David Holland

Thanks, I haven't pulled the cable to measure it yet.

From the information I've been able to dig up, the different cable
lengths a

50 to 60 2268mm
61 2250mm
62 to 71 2260mm
72 to 74 2281mm
74 to 79 2268mm

Given 61 is the only year with the shortest length, I figured it would
be low odds the guy who put it in would use one too short. However, who
knows. He's also the guy who removed the bracket from the transmission
for the Bowden tube.

I think I'm going to have to pull it to double check.

Thx DH

Old December 27th 04, 06:24 PM
David Holland

Thanks, I adjusted the pedal top last night to give maximum pedal
travel. I help a wee bit but still not enough. I don't have any
wahsers installed right now.

I think I'll pull the cable later to double check it's length. I'll
also check where the hook attaches to see if it's getting hung up at all.

Thx DH

Old December 29th 04, 12:03 AM
Jim Adney

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:57:47 -0500 David Holland
> wrote:

>Now that I've done this, the clutch cable seems to be about 1/4 inch too
>short to get the nut back on.

Make SURE that the front end of the Bowden tube is actually slipped
over the end of the steel tube exiting the body. I think they slide
over about 1 cm. I occasionally see these installed wrong there.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

95 Neon Clutch cable issues mike Dodge 0 January 4th 05 08:38 PM
95 Neon Clutch, cable snap? Michael Chrysler 6 January 3rd 05 06:08 PM
1962 Cadillac Eldorado speedometer cable trouble? Charles Scheffold Antique cars 11 October 13th 03 05:14 AM