Who makes the MX5 & where

Old March 31st 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Who makes the MX5 & where

Hi

We have a 2002 MX5 which was well put together and has been completely
reliable.

We are considering buying a new MX5 in 2007. Where are they built and by
who? Not all Mazdas are built in Japan and I am worried that Ford's
influence might start resulting in them being as problem prone as Fords.

TIA
Old March 31st 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

To date, the Miata's have been built only in Japan. What happens in the
future is anybody's guess. For instance, since Ford owns a part of Mazda,
and currently builds Mazda related stuff in the US, the governing factors
might be cost and market. After all, the VW Beetle was built in Mexico for
many years after VW in Germany stopped producing it. While the Miata is
known for few problems, it has had some.
Noteably is Mazdas odd policy of not admitting to a serious problem with the
99 coil packs, and not covering them under extended warrenty. I'm told that
they did have an extended warrenty for what was basically the same part that
was used on another Mazda model.

Some of the notable problems with 99s
Premature top wear
Premature leather wear
Engine harness problem
Clutch and transmission related problems
Clogging intake manifold EGR passage
Idle issue
#4 Bearing tolerance
Engine overheating

Some of these problems also reoccurred in later years, along with new
problems.

Old March 31st 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Chuck wrote:
> To date, the Miata's have been built only in Japan. What happens in the
> future is anybody's guess. For instance, since Ford owns a part of Mazda,
> and currently builds Mazda related stuff in the US, the governing factors
> might be cost and market. After all, the VW Beetle was built in Mexico for
> many years after VW in Germany stopped producing it. While the Miata is
> known for few problems, it has had some.
> Noteably is Mazdas odd policy of not admitting to a serious problem with the
> 99 coil packs, and not covering them under extended warrenty. I'm told that
> they did have an extended warrenty for what was basically the same part that
> was used on another Mazda model.
>
> Some of the notable problems with 99s
> Premature top wear
> Premature leather wear
> Engine harness problem
> Clutch and transmission related problems
> Clogging intake manifold EGR passage
> Idle issue
> #4 Bearing tolerance
> Engine overheating
>
> Some of these problems also reoccurred in later years, along with new
> problems.
>

> "The Invisible Man" > wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> We have a 2002 MX5 which was well put together and has been completely
>> reliable.
>>
>> We are considering buying a new MX5 in 2007. Where are they built and by
>> who? Not all Mazdas are built in Japan and I am worried that Ford's
>> influence might start resulting in them being as problem prone as Fords.
>>
>> TIA

Only problem we have had is the 2002 model clutch problem. We didn't
find it too bad but they changed it for free at the first service anyway.

We also have a Mazda 3 sport. Again no problems.

When I had Fords and Vauxhalls they used to go back again and again with
lists of problems many of which I eventually just learned to live with.
Old March 31st 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 2006-03-31, The Invisible Man > wrote:

> Only problem we have had is the 2002 model clutch problem. We
> didn't find it too bad but they changed it for free at the
> first service anyway.

Same here for my 2003. Before that, the only problem I had
with my 96 was with the alarm system.

> We also have a Mazda 3 sport. Again no problems.

The '3' is also made in Japan.

The '6' is made in Michigan with 60% US (or is it North
American?) content including engine and drivetrain, IIRC.
Perhaps I'm just prejudiced, but I'd be much more confident in
a MX-5 or a 3 than I would be in a 6.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Yow! I threw up on
at my window!
Old April 3rd 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Ouch, stop! How was I immersed in Miatas for six or seven years w/o hearing
about that 99-00 #4 Bearing tolerance issue?(till after I bought one). I'm
concerned, I guess I'll have to trust someone to check the front end play
for me so I can hopefully put that worry to rest.

I guess I have more to read up on with the coil pack issue too.

I agree that Mazda has neglected to step up to the plate a couple times
(from what I've heard) but I haven't really heard both sides and all the
facts.

Chris
99BBB

Old April 4th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

my 99 is free of all listed issues...albeit at only 50k mi.