2006 Miata

Old May 21st 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 2006 Miata

Frank Berger wrote:

<snip>

>> Crank windows are a pain because they require awkward leans to
>> operate. Window wings are something I associate with GM pickups from
>> the early '80s, and I think fun cars are even more fun with music.
>> YMMV. --

> I don't recall ever wishing I had power windows in my '96 (bought
> new).
> The great thing about window wings (vent windows) was if you smoked. You
> could hold that cigarette near the open vent window and nearly
> all the smoke would vent out. You could also flick the ash anywhere
> near the window and it would get sucked out.

Sure, but I'm probably one of the first generation of car buyers that just
kind of expects to find things like power windows in any car I buy. I don't
think my generation smokes much, either.

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply

Old May 21st 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Tex wrote:
> On Sat, 20 May 2006 19:19:44 GMT, "tooloud" >
> wrote:
>
>> Tex wrote:

>>> One reason is they are hard to find.
>>>
>>> When I went looking for a Club Spec it was like looking for a needle
>>> in a haystack. Oh sure they had plenty of those up a notch with
>>> air...

>> I'd just go to the nearest dealer and tell him what I want. They can
>> order anything.
>>

> I went to the dealer I bought the 2002 from...they said it would take
> six months and even then it might not be the one without air...so much
> for that...

As Leon says, something's wrong here--if you truly order a car, there should
be no concern as to whether the car will come with the options you
requested.

>>> I received an email from a fellow out of the Mazda headquarters in
>>> Irvine, Ca. He gave me a list of 6 Club Spec's (without air) located
>>> in California. I finally drove the four hours after emailing and
>>> talking on the phone to the salesman.
>>>
>>> The new and younger salesman (greeter) let it slip during the deal
>>> how they were going to be glad to sale this one...cause it didn't
>>> even have air! As the deal was as good as wrapped I told him with a
>>> chuckle that was why I wanted it and it was most likely the deal
>>> maker along with the 5-spd.
>>>
>>> Now if it had crank windows, maybe window wings, and no radio I
>>> wouldn't have bothered holding out for a fair price for my 2002 base
>>> miata trade-in.

>> Crank windows are a pain because they require awkward leans to
>> operate. Window wings are something I associate with GM pickups from
>> the early '80s, and I think fun cars are even more fun with music.
>> YMMV.

> I had a couple 323's without air and no radio.....yes my YMMV does
> indeed. I think my window wing association dates back to the 50s &
> 60s.

I was born in the '70s. I've never owned a car with window wings. To be more
specific, when I see them, I think of my grandfather's brown 1976 Chevy
pickup.

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply

Old May 21st 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 2006-05-21, tooloud > wrote:

>> The great thing about window wings (vent windows) was if you
>> smoked. You could hold that cigarette near the open vent
>> window and nearly all the smoke would vent out.

That's lame. If you don't like breathing smoke put out the
cigarette.

>> You could also flick the ash anywhere near the window and it
>> would get sucked out.

And people on bicycles, motorcycles and in convertibles hate
people who do that. Don't get me started on people who just
toss their butts out the window.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! If elected, Zippy
at pledges to each and every
Old May 21st 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Sun, 21 May 2006 20:22:16 GMT, "tooloud" >
wrote:

>As Leon says, something's wrong here--if you truly order a car, there should
>be no concern as to whether the car will come with the options you
>requested.

It's like Leon says....they want to sell the existing stock...I'm sure
if an order was placed it would come as ordered...but when you are
told six months and maybe even then it won't be the one...well if you
are like me you walk and buy somewhere else.
Old May 21st 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

wrote:

>I was born in the '70s. I've never owned a car with window wings. To be more
>specific, when I see them, I think of my grandfather's brown 1976 Chevy
>pickup.

When I think of A/C I think of the tube that hung outside one of the
door windows and was filled with ice...My parents never owned one and
I never did either...maybe (besides my sinus problems) it's why I
don't want air today in a car if I have the choice.
Old May 22nd 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Tex wrote:
> On Sun, 21 May 2006 20:22:16 GMT, "tooloud" >
> wrote:
>

>> I was born in the '70s. I've never owned a car with window wings. To
>> be more specific, when I see them, I think of my grandfather's brown
>> 1976 Chevy pickup.

> When I think of A/C I think of the tube that hung outside one of the
> door windows and was filled with ice...My parents never owned one and
> I never did either...maybe (besides my sinus problems) it's why I
> don't want air today in a car if I have the choice.

You've got sinus problems and no A/C? I can't believe how much better my
nose feels in my home and car with the A/C on versus Mother Nature; I'd be
miserable without it...and yes, I've tried.

That's actually the interesting thing--I'm probably one of the few Miata
owners that bought the car for its handling and road manners over anything
else, including the convertible top. I'd much prefer that the car was a
coupe. That's one of the reasons I'm half-assed looking for an RX-8. On that
note, I've come full circle--the only reason I don't already have one is
that GT models with nav and a 6-speed are a little more difficult to find.

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply

Old May 22nd 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Sun, 21 May 2006 23:35:50 GMT, "tooloud" >
wrote:

>You've got sinus problems and no A/C? I can't believe how much better my
>nose feels in my home and car with the A/C on versus Mother Nature; I'd be
>miserable without it...and yes, I've tried.

The way it works for me is I dry up and then have a headache if I'm
air conditioned too long. I don't mind being cooler when there is
extreme heat.

>That's actually the interesting thing--I'm probably one of the few Miata
>owners that bought the car for its handling and road manners over anything
>else, including the convertible top. I'd much prefer that the car was a
>coupe. That's one of the reasons I'm half-assed looking for an RX-8. On that
>note, I've come full circle--the only reason I don't already have one is
>that GT models with nav and a 6-speed are a little more difficult to find.

I bought my 02 miata new and only had the top down once and bought a
hardtop the 3rd or 4th week aftey buying the car. I never had the
hartop off once I put it on...even when I traded it in on 06 I didn't
know the condition of the soft top...they didn't ask anything and I
didn't volunteer anything. They just looked and said, "yeah it has a
soft top too".

Besides no A/C I like the cloth seats and 5spd.

Old May 22nd 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Tex wrote:
> On Sun, 21 May 2006 02:15:21 -0500, "Frank Berger"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Tex" > wrote in message
. ..

> I'm down to
> 1-2 packs a day from 2+ packs for the last 40 years. As the hardtop
> changed with the 06 I have been thinking if I quit smoking I could pay
> for one just from one years savings. Two years worth of quitting would
> also get me MS shocks and springs and hopefully cover the labor to
> have them installed too.

Now that Texas has the $1.00 per pack tax, you could have those upgrades
even sooner.
Old May 24th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

chance wrote:
> I am SERIOUSLY considering purchasing a new 2006 Grand Touring MX-5. Would
> be interested in hearing feedback about the car, int/ext colors and options.
> THANK YOU!

Two years ago I traded my 1994 in for the 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata, test drove the 2006 couple of weeks ago (6speed with suspension package). Found the car too soft, the speed handles a lot better. Even with the larger engine the 06 pales behind the speed's HP 178@6000 rpm vs 06's 170 @ 6700 rpm and torque 166 lb-ft@4500 rpm vs 06's 140 @ 5000 rpm (that's 18.5% more torque). They say the in the 06 your can raise or lower the roof with one hand while seated. But I think most guys that have had a Miata longer than two years can do that with any of them. As for looks what's with the cheesy plastic strip across the dash?(one season of cleaning pollen and dust off it'll start showing scratches. And personally the front of the hood ending where it does makes it look washing machine lid. On the plus side the 06 can come with cruise control.

Sorry for ranting but I had expected better from the 3yrs of hype.

Old May 24th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

to each his own, But I would take the 2006 over the 2004 turbo in a second.
Why would anyone want a turbo if you can generate nearly the same power
without it? and besides I like the look of the new car better.