Add Hp to Jeep Wrangler SE

Old February 5th 04, 12:45 AM
Aaron Timmer

Default Add Hp to Jeep Wrangler SE

Hey all. I just bought a 2000 Wrangler SE w/ the 2.4L I4 (maybe should
have gone w/ the I6). I would like to add some more horses, as I have
trouble reaching 65 mph o the highway. If anybody has some easy ways to
gain some power relatively cheaply, I would really like to know.
Thanks,
Aaron

Old February 5th 04, 02:45 AM

Make the engine breath better and you will gain some power.

Not sure what is available for the 4 banger but an open element air filter
system, larger throttlebody, headers, free-flowing exhaust will do the
trick.

Old February 5th 04, 02:45 AM

Old February 5th 04, 04:32 AM
.boB

Aaron Timmer wrote:

>Hey all. I just bought a 2000 Wrangler SE w/ the 2.4L I4 (maybe should
>have gone w/ the I6). I would like to add some more horses, as I have
>trouble reaching 65 mph o the highway. If anybody has some easy ways to
>gain some power relatively cheaply, I would really like to know.
>Thanks,
>Aaron

That's going to be a problem. Modern engines are very well designed,
with an emphasis on efficency and a side order of HP. Even the I4
should be able to hit 65mph. If it can't, there could be a problem.
Any mods? In particular, non-stock tres? Before contemplating any mods
make sure the engine is running the way it should. Loss of top end
power could be as simple as a failing fuel pump, or as expensive as a
flat cam shaft.
It's tough to simply and cheaply make a dramatic improvement in
power. First, I would check with companies like Hypertech and Jet to
see if the computer can be reprogrammed. If that's not available,
considering changing the gear ratio. Box stock they are usually fairly
high, 2.75-3.25'ish, for economy. Lowering that to 3.75-4.10'ish will
make a dramatic improvement in torque application. Of course, the trade
off is high rev's.
If that fails, you'll have to spend the big bucks on things like
better intake systems, headers, shaving the head, rocker arms, etc.
Skip over popular items like K&N air filters, cat back exhausts,
throttle body spacers, and blue headlight bulbs. They won't give you
enough bang for the buck to make it worth the trouble.

--
..boB
97 H-D FXDWG - Turbocharged!!

Old February 5th 04, 04:32 AM
.boB

Old February 5th 04, 03:26 PM
Dan J. S.

"Aaron Timmer" > wrote in message
> Hey all. I just bought a 2000 Wrangler SE w/ the 2.4L I4 (maybe should
> have gone w/ the I6). I would like to add some more horses, as I have
> trouble reaching 65 mph o the highway. If anybody has some easy ways to
> gain some power relatively cheaply, I would really like to know.
> Thanks,
> Aaron

When I owned a 93 with the i4, I put on some headers. That helped. Problem
with jeeps is their lack of good aerodynamics caps them at around 70-80 mpg,
even worse with head winds.

On the plus side, the i4 is the best thing on the trail. The 6 bangers would
go through a lot of gas on the long windy trails in Colorado. My i4 would be
awesome in comparison.

My play jeep that I am thinking about buying would probably be another 4
banger.

Old February 5th 04, 03:26 PM
Dan J. S.

Old February 5th 04, 10:04 PM

Just as a side note. I4 TJ's and YJ's all came with 4.10 gears in the
pumpkins. Your next option would 4.56 gears.

--
Checkout www.canadianoffroad.com!

Old February 5th 04, 10:04 PM

Old February 7th 04, 02:30 AM
Clem

"Dan J. S." > wrote in message

> When I owned a 93 with the i4, I put on some headers. That helped. Problem
> with jeeps is their lack of good aerodynamics caps them at around 70-80

mpg,
> even worse with head winds.

70-80 mpg? You are kidding, right? I'd even put up with a 4 banger in my
jeep if it got that mileage!

> On the plus side, the i4 is the best thing on the trail. The 6 bangers

would
> go through a lot of gas on the long windy trails in Colorado. My i4 would

be
> awesome in comparison.

I agree there. Not that I've done tons of off-roading, but the I-6 does suck
the gas, and it has higher gears in the diffs too. The I-4 has better
off-roading gears.

> My play jeep that I am thinking about buying would probably be another 4
> banger.

If I was going to do mainly off-roading I'd probably agree. But I've heard
of many people having a hard time getting to and maintaining highway speeds
with the 4 banger. I love the power and sound of the 4.0 and would be hard
pressed to go with the 4 banger. I haven't found top-end on my Cherokee with
4.0. She gets plenty scary as far as I've gotten it. (weee!) Waaaay over 85
MPH.

Jeep Site gblue 4x4 0 December 26th 03 08:26 PM
New Jeep Club in Denver Co Mark Greve 4x4 0 December 26th 03 05:29 PM