Need ways to start a car with a dead battery.- 92 Civic Auto.

Old February 15th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

Default Need ways to start a car with a dead battery.- 92 Civic Auto.

Pooh Bear wrote:
> ed wrote:
>
> > Battery switch.................

> If the OP could remember the use of switches we wouldn't even be having this
> discussion.

-----
It takes 47 replies to tell a guy to carry some jumper cables...
-----

- gpsman

Old February 15th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

Arif Khokar wrote:

> Pooh Bear wrote:
> [headlamp reminder chime]
> > Many modern cars do this anyway.

> The '84 Prelude I used to drive had this feature. I wonder why a '92
> Civic wouldn't.

It's a puzzle.

Graham

Old February 15th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

In article >,
Pooh Bear > wrote:

> Arif Khokar wrote:
>
> > Pooh Bear wrote:
> > [headlamp reminder chime]
> > > Many modern cars do this anyway.

> > The '84 Prelude I used to drive had this feature. I wonder why a '92
> > Civic wouldn't.

> It's a puzzle.
>
> Graham

Less of a puzzle when one notices some of the posts the OP made in a few
other newsgroups recently. All of them have a distinct aroma of "let's
see how many responses we can trigger with a question that looks at
least semi-real at first glance, but upon examination, is obviously
bogus".

As in, I think it might be time to hang out the "we have been trolled"
sign...

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old February 15th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

Mike Romain wrote:

> The 'obvious abuse' is what the OP stated, leaving the lights and/or
> stereo on.

I left my parking lights on overnight. Didn't think it would
drain the battery down that much, but it did. The power door
locks barely functioned, but there wasn't enough juice to get
the starter going.

Fortunately the manager where I was staying was used to
battery problems in his own vehicle and had one of those jump
starter kits. As soon as I got home I looked into getting
one for myself. They typically provide a "boost" but most
can't compensate for a completely drained battery. There are
more powerful units that might. Some come with air pumps and/
or power inverters.

I ordered a couple of these from Amazon. $39.95 each with
free ground shipping. This particular one is out of stock,
but they have different manufacturers/models. You can
probably find similar boxes at Wal-Mart or auto supply
stores.

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00030BFJW>
Old February 15th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 03:09:59 GMT, y_p_w > wrote:

>Mike Romain wrote:
>
>> The 'obvious abuse' is what the OP stated, leaving the lights and/or
>> stereo on.

>I left my parking lights on overnight. Didn't think it would
>drain the battery down that much, but it did. The power door
>locks barely functioned, but there wasn't enough juice to get
>the starter going.
>
>Fortunately the manager where I was staying was used to
>battery problems in his own vehicle and had one of those jump
>starter kits. As soon as I got home I looked into getting
>one for myself. They typically provide a "boost" but most
>can't compensate for a completely drained battery. There are
>more powerful units that might. Some come with air pumps and/
>or power inverters.
>
>I ordered a couple of these from Amazon. $39.95 each with
>free ground shipping. This particular one is out of stock,
>but they have different manufacturers/models. You can
>probably find similar boxes at Wal-Mart or auto supply
>stores.
>
><http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00030BFJW>

I have that exact same model -also-. Call me paranoid.

Lg

Old February 15th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

"y_p_w" > wrote in message
k.net...

> Mike Romain wrote:
>
>> The 'obvious abuse' is what the OP stated, leaving the lights and/or
>> stereo on.

> I ordered a couple of these from Amazon. $39.95 each with
> free ground shipping. This particular one is out of stock,
> but they have different manufacturers/models. You can
> probably find similar boxes at Wal-Mart or auto supply
> stores.
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00030BFJW>

I can't vouch for it, just sharing the link...
http://www.surpluscomputers.com/stor...&item=TOL10130

Old February 15th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:50:49 GMT, "Sam Nickaby" > wrote:

>I have been thinking of a good way to prevent stranding
>myself from a dead battery. It happened twice. Once at a
>beach from leaving my lights on. The other was at a college
>campus which the stereo and the dome light ran down the
>battery. Unlike the beach, the college campus have lots of
>helpful students with beat up cars that have jumper cables.
>Now, I have a new idea. Once my battery runs dry, I
>remove my alternator belt and wrap a rope around the
>alternator pulley. I then pull the rope so it'll turn 10
>revolutions per pull. I keep doing this for about 20 times.
>
>What is the possibility that this will supply enough charge
>to start the car. If not, can somebody think of a clever idea
>to start an automatic?

Buy one of these.

http://www.baproducts.com/sm831.htm

If it happens to work, let me know.

Dave
Old February 15th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

y_p_w wrote:
> more powerful units that might. Some come with air pumps

i bought one because that was the cheapest/easiest way to keep my 130psi
road bike tires full.
Old February 15th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message

> Not any more it doesn't!!!
>
> That 'used' to work before computers and electric fuel pumps, but I
> found out the hard way that push starting a modern vehicle with a dead
> battery is only good for exercise.
>
> The fuel pump and computer need power or the engine won't start. The
> gent would be just as well off 'pull starting' on the alternator
> pulley...

I have a 1 year old car complete with computers and electric fuel pumps and
managed to bump start it no problem, it wasn't even a steep hill either, I
got a friend to push me, and once I was going about 5mph I lifted the clutch
and the engine started.

Old February 15th 06, 08:27 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

"Don Bruder" >
> Pooh Bear > wrote:

> Less of a puzzle when one notices some of the posts the OP made in a few
> other newsgroups recently. All of them have a distinct aroma of "let's
> see how many responses we can trigger with a question that looks at
> least semi-real at first glance, but upon examination, is obviously
> bogus".

> As in, I think it might be time to hang out the "we have been trolled"
> sign...

Sorry if I'd misled anyone. These are genuine questions. The 92 Civic DX
doesn't have a "lights on" chimer. We ran down the battery countless times.
Many are from people who'd borrow our car. I believe on the third battery
rundown incident the battery refuses to hold charge. It's a pretty small lead
acid battery that you could get at Costco for $35 a pop. I wouldn't sell the
little Civic for anything because the only thing that ever goes dead is the battery.

The idea to charge the battery from spinning the alternator by hand has been
bugging me for almost three years. I just didn't have the nerve to ask.

I'm posting at the library, so time was limited. I compiled a list of questions
(while half asleep) and post to relevant newsgroup and try to follow every
newsgroup etiquette. Some of my post, regrettably, are poorly worded
which appears trollish...:~) Thanks all for the practical varieties of
solutions for the archive.

Nickaby