91 Golf Needs Adjustable Left Tie Rod

Old July 29th 05, 09:08 AM
you are nuts

Default 91 Golf Needs Adjustable Left Tie Rod

My 91 Golf was pushed into a curb by an SUV with a loose nut at the
wheel. Ever since alignment shops say they can't align the front
properly. I've replaced all suspension components on the affected
side. But still no go. One guy suggested that if both tie rods were
adjustable, he might be able to do the job.

Seems on my model only the right tie rod is adjustable. Anyone know
if there is an adjustable left (driver side) tie rod for the
(early) 91 Golf?

CR

Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 RC2
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Old July 29th 05, 12:00 PM
Woodchuck

I never had issues doing alignments with one fixed tie rod! What does your
align guru say the issue is?

Old July 29th 05, 04:29 PM

availability of adjustable left tie rod, yes they are available. I
replaced it on my '90 Golf on recommendation of the (non-VW) alignment
shop. Cost was about $50Cdn for the tie rod itself.

However, I can't recall the mechanics of what the advantage of a left
adjstable tie rod was as it seems being adjustable on one side should
be sufficient.

Tony
Vancouver, BC
'85 and '90 Golfs

Old July 29th 05, 08:25 PM
you are nuts

You could well be right. The alignment guy at a Big-O tire shop was
able to get the two front wheels pointed in roughly the same
direction but said that since it was only adjustable on one side,
the steering wheel would be off when driving straight. As a result,
the cross member of the steering wheel is about 15 degrees from
horizontal. Thanks to all for the input.

Old July 29th 05, 11:01 PM
Woodchuck

Now the fix is easy, just remove the steering wheel and center it. What I
did was drive the car and mark the center with masking tape. Then pull over
remove the wheel , then center it.

Old December 18th 05, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

The non adjustable tierod also keeps the steering gearbox or rack centered
with the steering wheel, Its more important on some cars then others, And on
a manual rack with a centering spot, then power assist, then power
steering in that order. On a car with a non centering rack, or non
centering power steering, it doesn't matter at all. Its possible to move
both wheels far enough to get an unequal pressure to turn the car left or
right. The car turns real easy left, but hard right, even though its aligned
properly. Its because the racks not centered and is pulling a little,
because its out of the neutral steering range. My 86 golf is a good
example. Its got an adjustable left side and a manual adjustable self
centering steering rack. The wheels are aligned with the steering wheel,
but you have to hold a little pressure on the wheel to the left. If you
center the rack, by feeling it in the steering wheel, the car steers right
and the steering wheel is turned right. The steering wheel pulls equally
because the steering rack is centered. This is because I put an adjustable
tie rod on both sides and it doesn't bother me because the car is old.The
purpose of my alignments is to increase tire life first, the make the car
easier to drive second. The bently talks about centering the rack by setting
the tie rod length before intstalling them, and keeping the steering wheel
centered. This is because VW knows the required length to keep the rack
centered and aligned at the same time, and has only one adjustable tie rod,
and assumes theres nothing wrong with the body of the car. My brothers
2000 Dodge Neon with artificial feel power steering has a centering spot
too. and does the same thing, for a different reason. The power steering
cares less about the alignment , but adjusts the pump feel pressure based on
rack position. As soon as you turn the wheel left, the power steering kicks
in, but has a nuetral feel spot turning right then kicks in about 20
degrees. The steering wheel and tires are aligned. The rack isnt. An
alignment shop 99% of the time gets the steering wheel and tires aligned,
and the centering spots still good. But what they,re trying to do is align
the steering wheel and the tires only, as this is the easiest to do, and
cost less. VW decided to control the rack center by offering one adjustable
tie rod. This keeps the steering wheel, rack, and non adjustable side
always aligned, You do the alignment by the adjustable tie rod only.. The
alignment shop don't know which tie rods been adjusted how many time before
they got there. And one , or the other, or both tie rods can be used to
adjust the alignment in either direction, depending on if more toe in or out
is desired. Most of the time the racks not out far enough for it to matter.
There is a range. But sometimes on a much older car , or ones been wrecked,
or hit, the cars tires are aligned with the steering wheel, but still pulls
harder one way or the other, due to both tierods being adjusted far enough
to get the rack out of center. In the case of a wrecked or bent car, adding
another adjustable tierod allows the alignment shop to adjust both wheels
far enough in the same direction to get an alignment done.Then they get the
steering wheel on center with the tires, by disconnecting it and installing
it centered again. This means the rack is not centered but the wheels and
steering wheel are. And may or may not be an issue at all. It depends on
the car. It may pull harder one way or not, the power steering may turn the
car like a hot rod one way and a truck the other. or it may be just a little
different. The car may turn a complete circle tighter one way then the
other. The Outer CV joint boot may tear also on one side because the wheel
is turning sharper then the boot will allow for. A lot of human beings can't
tell, or feel it or could care less about it. I never press an alignment
shop about it,unless they are involved in race cars or performance
alignments. They understand, but they charge more too. Because a regular
shop isn't interested in that variable, because they have to measure the
tie rod lengths with the boots on, and check it in the VW book. and time
is money to them. But I watch what tie rod they adjust. They say its
aligned perfectly but pulls one way, or the steering pressure is higher one
way then the other. Once they done the alignment perfectly, all thats
needed is to equally adjust both sides tie rods enough to center the rack.
If the alignment they did is perfect the steering wheel will still be
centered but the car won't pull any more. The steering wheel, rack, and
wheels are now aligned. If the steering wheel moves, but the car doesnt pull
anymore, they lied, or something else like castor or camber is out, or
their technician did it wrong, but probably doesn't know. And in that case I
put it back where they put it. because I mostly want to make my tires last
longer, And that alignment will do that. But if the car does pull, this is
what I do. So as not to start a fight, I adjust the tie rod they didn't
adjust to get the rack centered, at home, and take it back .But the steering
wheel will be crooked and the car will pull the same way. Now , what has
happened is I have adjusted one side of the car and the rack up, but brought
the other side they adjusted before out. I take it back and they adjust the
same tie rod they did before to get the steering wheel and the other side
aligned with what I did, and they shoulda did right the first time. That way
they center the rack without knowing it, and they're are no arguments with
someone who doesn't understand, or read a factory manual. I gave it back
with the rack and the side they didn't move aligned and the steering wheel
out, They align the steering wheel and their side with the rack and my side.
And now everythings aligned again. Unfortunately this is necessary because a
human can only keep a perfect alignment in without the equipment, that the
shop did correctly, with the rack not centered, by moving both the tie rods
exactly the same, and make a rack adjustment. But you can't adjust a bad
alignment without the equipment , because you can't figure which side to
move , and get it all aligned again, and have your toe in or out correct.
Merry Christmas All!!!!
.. .

Old December 21st 05, 07:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I assume this is the same situation as on my 84 rabbit convertible.
Bentley has a good description of the process to replace factory non
adjustable with aftermarket adjustable. <My guess a good non
dealership VW shop / mechanic could do this for you lickity split.

Good Luck