ATF in manual transmission?!

Old December 20th 04, 09:57 PM
Jeff Strickland

Is the manual wrong? No.

The lighter oil is more fuel efficient. Many manual transmissions these days
run on automatic transmission fluid.

Old December 21st 04, 11:49 PM
Huw

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> Is the manual wrong? No.
>
> The lighter oil is more fuel efficient. Many manual transmissions these
> days
> run on automatic transmission fluid.

Very few actually still specify ATF. The preferred light viscosity heavy
duty oil is now MTF or Manual Transmission Fluid. This can be used in
transmissions that were previously recommended to use ATF. MTF is now widely
available from most major lubricating oil blenders.

Huw

Old December 22nd 04, 01:17 AM
Jeff Strickland

Well, the OP has a '97 Z3, and it could still want ATF. I don't know that it
does or does not require ATF, but the OP says it does, and he asked if this
was correct or an error. Clearly it is very likely that it is correct, many
manual transmissions called for ATF to keep them lubricated.

Perhaps it is good to change from ATF to MTF, and perhaps it is not. But if
the question was if the manual was correct in calling out ATF.

Old December 22nd 04, 01:27 AM
Huw

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> Well, the OP has a '97 Z3, and it could still want ATF. I don't know that
> it
> does or does not require ATF, but the OP says it does, and he asked if
> this
> was correct or an error. Clearly it is very likely that it is correct,
> many
> manual transmissions called for ATF to keep them lubricated.
>
> Perhaps it is good to change from ATF to MTF, and perhaps it is not. But
> if
> the question was if the manual was correct in calling out ATF.

And you know one way or another if the Bentley manual is correct?
I would only trust BMW or ZF information on original fill and
recommendations, but yes it is possible that they specified ATF at that
time. Any manual transmission that originally specified or specifies ATF
will benefit from upgrading to MTF. Take that as you will and feel free to
ignore but you will find this information accurate. If you are in any doubt
then stick with the manufacturers latest recommendations for that
transmission.

Huw

Old December 23rd 04, 03:12 PM

Is MTF the same as ATF just renamed to avoid conversations such as
this? ;-)

Old December 23rd 04, 06:30 PM
Huw

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Is MTF the same as ATF just renamed to avoid conversations such as
> this? ;-)

No it is not. It has a different friction coefficient to aid smoother gear
changes and it has far better shear stability. This type of oil is now
fairly universal as factory fill. Even Land Rover have changed over and now
refill older boxes with it at service time.
This type of oil was pioneered by Ford when they had reliability problems
with their MT75 gearboxes [or was it MT94?]. Changing to a special oil
formulation ensured increased reliability and was the precursor to many
others following the same route. It made a huge difference.

A few of the available MT oils are honey coloured although some are red and
appear identical to ATF in appearance. They are fully miscible with ATF but
should NOT be used in automatic transmissions.

Huw

Old December 24th 04, 07:26 PM
Gcracker///M5

They talk about "Friction modifiers" and such things that will help your
appreciation of MTL (not MTF)

Old December 25th 04, 06:11 PM
Huw

deep into the meat.
Grease a baking pan, and fill with a thick bed of onions,
celery, green onions, and parsley.
Place roast on top with fat side up.
Place uncovered in 500° oven for 20 minutes, reduce oven to 325°.
Bake till medium rare (150°) and let roast rest.
Pour stock over onions and drippings, carve the meat and
place the slices in the au jus.

Bisque à l?Enfant

Honor the memory of Grandma with this dish by utilizing her good
silver soup tureen and her great grandchildren (crawfish, crab or
lobster will work just as well, however this dish is classically
made with crawfish).

Stuffed infant heads, stuffed crawfish heads, stuffed crab or lobster shells;
make patties if shell or head is not available
(such as with packaged crawfish, crab, or headless baby).
Flour
oil
onions
bell peppers
garlic salt, pepper, etc.
3 cups chicken stock
2 sticks butter
3 tablespoons oil

First stuff the heads, or make the patties (see index)
then fry or bake.
Set aside to drain on paper towels.
Make a roux with butter, oil and flour,
brown vegetables in the roux, then add chicken stock and
allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the patties or stuffed heads, and some loose crawfish,
lobster, long piglet, or what have you.
Cook on low for 15 minutes, then allow it to set for at least
15 minutes more.
Serve over

Old December 25th 04, 08:45 PM
Huw

"Gcracker///M5" > wrote in message
> They talk about "Friction modifiers" and such things that will help your
> appreciation of MTL (not MTF)

Redline is just one of many brands of oil and MTL is a product name for
their MTFluid. Nothing special AFAIK.

Huw