330xi Info

Old October 1st 04, 02:28 AM
Phil Sherrod

I have a 2005 330xi on order with every available option except for the sport
package (didn't want that because it makes the ride too stiff). Right now, my
car is at the final preparation center before the dealer; I'm hoping to get it
next week.

What sort of sensation do you get when the AWD compensates for a slipping
wheel? My understanding is that it applies selective breaking to the slipping
wheel to stop its spinning. Is it a pulsing sensation like antilock break
action, or is more of smooth breaking? For example, let's say you are climbing
a snow/ice covered hill and start to get some slipping, what does the
corrective action feel like?

Also are you aware of any situations where dynamic stability control has kicked
in? If so, what's that like?

Phil
Old October 1st 04, 02:41 AM
fbloogyudsr

"Phil Sherrod" > wrote
>I have a 2005 330xi on order with every available option except for the
>sport
> package (didn't want that because it makes the ride too stiff). Right now,
> my
> car is at the final preparation center before the dealer; I'm hoping to
> get it
> next week.

BAD decision not to get the sport package: the AWD sport package does not
include the sport suspension. All AWD 325/330xi have unique suspensions
that ride about 3/4" higher than the non-sport package 3-series. IMO, the
sport seats is worth the price.

> What sort of sensation do you get when the AWD compensates for a slipping
> wheel? My understanding is that it applies selective breaking to the
> slipping
> wheel to stop its spinning. Is it a pulsing sensation like antilock break
> action, or is more of smooth breaking? For example, let's say you are
> climbing
> a snow/ice covered hill and start to get some slipping, what does the
> corrective action feel like?

It's mostly pulsing. However, the effect is very smooth. I once decided I
wanted to enter a snowy road ahead of a big line of cars. I left
DSC/ASC/ADB
on, and just hammered the throttle and shifted at the redline. Yeah, there
was slipping, yeah there was ADB pulsing various wheels as they slipped,
but it was straight ahead acceleration barely slower than on a dry surface.

In low-traction conditions, you can feel the car begin to slew as one or
more
wheels slip, then you hear (and slightly feel) the ADB/DSC pulse one or more
wheels (one to stop the slipping and one to correct the yaw). You have to
be careful not to lose momentum - that's what the DSC off button is for.

> Also are you aware of any situations where dynamic stability control has
> kicked
> in? If so, what's that like?

There's one particular corner - off-camber downhill right-hander with a road
imperfection/drop-off - that I play on all the time. Basically, the DSC
pulses
the left rear/front right to apply yaw to correct the clockwise rotation
induced,
and away I go.

Floyd

Old October 1st 04, 03:17 AM
Phil Sherrod

On 30-Sep-2004, "fbloogyudsr" > wrote:

> BAD decision not to get the sport package: the AWD sport package does not
> include the sport suspension. All AWD 325/330xi have unique suspensions
> that ride about 3/4" higher than the non-sport package 3-series. IMO, the
> sport seats is worth the price.

I test drove cars with and without the sport package. The ride with the sport
package was significantly stiffer and less comfortable for normal driving. I
didn't find any significant comfort advantage to the sport seats.

> It's mostly pulsing. However, the effect is very smooth. I once decided I
> wanted to enter a snowy road ahead of a big line of cars. I left
> DSC/ASC/ADB
> on, and just hammered the throttle and shifted at the redline. Yeah, there
> was slipping, yeah there was ADB pulsing various wheels as they slipped,
> but it was straight ahead acceleration barely slower than on a dry surface.

OK, that's good to hear.

> There's one particular corner - off-camber downhill right-hander with a road
> imperfection/drop-off - that I play on all the time. Basically, the DSC
> pulses
> the left rear/front right to apply yaw to correct the clockwise rotation
> induced,
> and away I go.

OK. Excellent. I can hardly wait to get the car and then find some slippery
spot.

Phil
Old October 1st 04, 06:05 PM
Frank McGirt

In article >,
Tom Allen > wrote:

> [...]

> major improvement.
>
> The AWD on wet roads is outstanding. Don't let anyone try
> to convince you that snow tires on a 2wd car will give you
> similar traction in the snow....not a chance. You're used
> to an awd or 4wd car, so you will probably agree
> 100%.....it's true on almost any car. But don't forget it
> isn't a 4wd pickup or an Excursion with 4 feet of ground
> clearance.....in a snow storm you're going to start dragging
> ass after 6 or 8 inches accumulate.
>
> The performance of the xi is excellent. Not as good as the
> 330i (2wd), but still excellent. If that extra half second
> going from 0 to 60 makes a big difference to you, get the
> 330i. But for me the xi is plenty fast. I even have an
> automatic which takes away more performance. But compared
> to my old Ford Expedition (or anything else I've ever owned
> for that matter).....this thing is a rocket.
>
> I, too, have had something with 4wd or awd for the past 30
> years which is why I got the xi. I wanted a BMW, didn't
> want a SUV and finally decided on the xi.....and am very
> glad I did.
>
> I have had very few maintenance problems. A tough
> electrical problem at 5,000 miles....turned out to be a
> crimped spark plug wire....no problems since. I've had two
> torn cv's on the front wheels that caused grease to splatter
> around on the wheels. But I think I caused them myself on
> an autocross day....replaced under warranty.
>
> Been through lots of tires....in 53k miles I'm on my 4th
> set.....track days and aggressive driving eat up tires on
> this car. But I'm the cause of it, not the car's fault. If
> you buy sticky high performance tires, the wear very
> quickly, but they're a hoot to drive on.
>
> I got all three packages...sport, premium and cold
> weather....very glad I got all three. Best part of the
> sport package are the seats....love them. Premium package,
> great leather, gotta have a moonroof, tilt down right side
> mirror is great, light sensing rear view mirror is great,
> rain sensing wipers are wonderful. Since I ended up putting
> so many miles on this car (it has seen its share of these
> united states), I wish I had purchased the navigation
> system. I had no idea that I would take this car where I
> have, so far away from home, so often. I've been totally
> lost a few times. Never thought I'd ever use the fold down
> rear seats, but I'm amazed at the number of times they have
> been very helpful....glad I have them.
>
> I like the xenon's. Very used to them now. When I drive
> someone else's car, I can't stand their headlights, seem
> very yellow and dim.
>
> The car after 53k miles is still very tight....no
> rattles....no shakes....no noises.....none!....still very
> quiet when the windows are up.....I commented to a friend
> just the other day at how this car maintains it's
> "solidness" after 2.5 years of ownership and 53,000 miles.
> They're built to last.
>
> And would I buy another?......you betcha!!!!!!!!

Tom, Thanks to you and the rest for your responses. I was pretty
much sold before but now for sure. My wife has a 2003 530i which we
both like very much and has been almost trouble free. We have an issue
with the driver's seat memory which sometimes returns to a different
position for no reason - after locking, going in a store, coming back
and unlocking with the same key. Sure is wierd but we are waiting for
the next service to get it fixed.

I was somewhat reluctant to buy the 2003 as we had a 1977 530i that we
bought new for about $13K and it was bad news - really a piece of junk.
We finally traded it in on a Honda Accord and were actually very glad we
did. But this one is good and we are very happy with it. Hope we do
as well with the 330xi.

Thanks again,

Frank