beetle idle problems

Old April 6th 07, 10:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
muziksmig via CarKB.com

Default beetle idle problems

Hi all,
mine sounds similar to last post but heres the scoop.
'69 beetle runs fine at speed but idle is all over until it dies.If I come up
to a set of lights after speed and drop to neutral engine usually just dies.
starts up again usually straight away but its got my head done in!
I have set timing and points,renewed plugs,leads,fanbelt, tried setting carb
to haynes reccommended (34 pict 3)setting but nothing unless I set the top
butterfly on carb(choke?) to almost shut then it will idle no prob but high
revs.HELP!
seriously- all help gratefully received-cheers in advance!

paul

Old April 6th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

34 pict 3 means a dual port engine usually and was not stock in your '69
Beetle if in the USA.
Take out the idle jet on the side of the carb over the generator and clean
out the debris in that jet. I use a fine wire to pick out debris of the
center hole.

Also make sure your electromagnetic shutoff clicks on and off with power and
is tight on the carb. I turn the ign on and take off the shutoff wire and
touch it to the terminal to hear the click.

--
later,
dave

Old April 6th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Karma Ghia

In article <704a56540db1e@uwe>, "muziksmig via CarKB.com" <u10102@uwe>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> mine sounds similar to last post but heres the scoop.
> '69 beetle runs fine at speed but idle is all over until it dies.If I come up
> to a set of lights after speed and drop to neutral engine usually just dies.
> starts up again usually straight away but its got my head done in!
> I have set timing and points,renewed plugs,leads,fanbelt, tried setting carb
> to haynes reccommended (34 pict 3)setting but nothing unless I set the top
> butterfly on carb(choke?) to almost shut then it will idle no prob but high
> revs.HELP!
> seriously- all help gratefully received-cheers in advance!
>
> paul

sure sounds like an air leak. vacuum. dirt in the idle jet?
a quick fix? have someone keep it running while you put your hand over
carb. throat. air cleaner off, of course.
then restart it right away. hand off. that should clean some passages
out.
good luck.
g/

--

Money: What a concept?

Old April 6th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Shane Stroud

Check for gas flowing into the top at idle, provided it will idle much.
And check for heavy gas smell and black smoke. Mine did this and it was
a bad float that kept overflowing gas into the throat. It would run
fine on the road, then die at any stop. It would start back up and
drive fine for a while, but die as soon as I stopped.

Opinion he Disregard as you like.

Here's what I've learned about 34 PICT 3 carbs. Look on the side. If
it says Brosol on it, pull it and put it in a dumpster or use it for a
paper weight. Yes, I can already hear you yelling, "That's still Solex!"
Well, not exactly. I've taken several out of the box and they would
NEVER tune. Toss 'em, get an original carb that actually says Solex on
it... perfect! You can't polish a turd.

Shane

Old April 7th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dennis[_4_]

On Apr 6, 12:42 pm, Shane Stroud > wrote:
> Check for gas flowing into the top at idle, provided it will idle much.
> And check for heavy gas smell and black smoke. Mine did this and it was
> a bad float that kept overflowing gas into the throat. It would run
> fine on the road, then die at any stop. It would start back up and
> drive fine for a while, but die as soon as I stopped.
>
> Opinion he Disregard as you like.
>
> Here's what I've learned about 34 PICT 3 carbs. Look on the side. If
> it says Brosol on it, pull it and put it in a dumpster or use it for a
> paper weight. Yes, I can already hear you yelling, "That's still Solex!"
> Well, not exactly. I've taken several out of the box and they would
> NEVER tune. Toss 'em, get an original carb that actually says Solex on
> it... perfect! You can't polish a turd.
>
> Shane
>

> musiksmag via CarKB.com wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > mine sounds similar to last post but here's the scoop.
> > '69 beetle runs fine at speed but idle is all over until it dies.If I come up
> > to a set of lights after speed and drop to neutral engine usually just dies.
> > starts up again usually straight away but its got my head done in!
> > I have set timing and points,renewed plugs,leads,fanbelt, tried setting carb
> > to Haynes recommended (34 Pict 3)setting but nothing unless I set the top
> > butterfly on carb(choke?) to almost shut then it will idle no prob but high
> > revs.HELP!
> > seriously- all help gratefully received-cheers in advance!

> > Paul- Hide quoted text -

I had a similar problem a few years ago with mine. I adjusted the
carb according to Muir. It almost worked. It was not until I re-
adjusted the valves twice (the second time was a few hundred miles
after the first) that the idle worked good. I never had that problem
again and don't know for sure what fixed it but the story and results
are accurate. Dennis

idle problems randy pape Technology 4 September 27th 05 03:50 AM
idle problems? randy pape Dodge 1 September 25th 05 10:08 PM
'99 626 Idle problems sabo763 General 0 August 27th 05 05:17 PM
Idle problems on my 85 GTI Petey VW water cooled 3 January 26th 05 05:40 AM
72' Beetle with idle problems Flgstonia VW air cooled 4 October 19th 04 12:50 AM