Just rolled over 100K miles...my take on BMW

Old November 21st 07, 12:32 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Why doesn't this A-Hole tell us WHAT CAR/Tranny he actuallyhas??? TROLL

On Nov 20, 6:46 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> >My car is a '98 3 series, okay, satisfied? Now tell me what damn
> >difference does it make? BMW put a crappy GM transmission
> >in the car that failed at 86k miles, as has happened to probably
> >thousands of their customers.

> Okay. NOW we are getting somewhere. So what you are saying is something
> like "Don't buy a '98 3-series with an automatic." And that's a statement
> I'd certainly agree with. That's a very different statement than saying
> all BMWs are unreliable.

Did you bother to read the site I linked to? I never said ALL BMWs
are
unreliable; there are some exceptions I guess. But I'd guess some
Ford Pintos made it to 150k miles without blowing up or falling apart.

> >Nobody said anything about anybody having to make "perfect" cars.
> >You like to make stuff up, goober. I doubt you've ever bought
> >a new BMW in your life, or ever will, but if you're ever able,
> >be my guest.

> I've never bought a new BMW either... I wait for them to get old enough
> that all of the major problems have become known. Currently I have one
> with 350,000 miles on it, and my record was 480,000 on an original engine.

For guys like you (and this NG always seems to have a lot of you) who
buy elderly Bummers for next to nothing, relatively speaking, I can
see why you can't relate to those of us who payed much bigger bucks
for newer models. Hell, I've had no problems whatever with the
*engine*
of my car, but there's a bit more to a car than an engine.

> >There you go again blowing **** out your ass. Come back down sonny.
> >My post is only about BMW and their ****ty cars. They can't even
> >perfect electric windows. Mine have failed several times, as have
> >many of Beamer owners'. Now please go off on a tanget about Beamer
> >instead of Bimmer. And have fun in your $3,000 Bummer.

> No, your post is about BMW and YOUR ****ty car. Don't judge all vehicles
> based on one.

Once more, read the link I've provided at least twice. BMW produces
over-
priced crap and a person would be a fool to buy one, especially new.
BMW also produces crappy parts/components. My car has had
more than one electrical component fail twice, which has nothing to
do with my car per se, but with their short-lived, sub-par components.
Failures are common. Don't know many owners of fairly late model
cars?
But for guys who plop down 2 or 3 grand for a beat up old model, go
for it. You don't have much to lose.

Old November 21st 07, 01:08 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article
>,
> wrote:
> BMW also produces crappy parts/components. My car has had
> more than one electrical component fail twice, which has nothing to
> do with my car per se, but with their short-lived, sub-par components.

BMW don't make the electrics.

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 21st 07, 04:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>On Nov 20, 6:46 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>Did you bother to read the site I linked to? I never said ALL BMWs
>are
>unreliable; there are some exceptions I guess. But I'd guess some
>Ford Pintos made it to 150k miles without blowing up or falling apart.

No, I didn't read the site. I don't have web access here, only Usenet
and email. But what you posted sure sounded like a blanket condemnation
of BMW products.

>> I've never bought a new BMW either... I wait for them to get old enough
>> that all of the major problems have become known. Currently I have one
>> with 350,000 miles on it, and my record was 480,000 on an original engine.

>For guys like you (and this NG always seems to have a lot of you) who
>buy elderly Bummers for next to nothing, relatively speaking, I can
>see why you can't relate to those of us who payed much bigger bucks
>for newer models. Hell, I've had no problems whatever with the
>*engine*
>of my car, but there's a bit more to a car than an engine.

When I bought them, they weren't elderly and they weren't selling for next
to nothing. But they are now, and they just keep running, and that's a
good thing.

I actually tried to buy a brand new BMW two years ago, but basically could
not get one with all the electronics crap removed. So I kept driving
the old ones. I am hoping for a stripped down Series 1 in the US, maybe?
I don't want all that electronics junk. It breaks.

You're upset that it breaks. Well, I could have told you that it would break
before you bought it. You get a complex system, then you try and build it
for a price the consumer can buy, and it's going to take some time to get
it right. Hell, it took GM thirty years to get the torque converter right.

>Once more, read the link I've provided at least twice. BMW produces
>over-
>priced crap and a person would be a fool to buy one, especially new.
>BMW also produces crappy parts/components. My car has had
>more than one electrical component fail twice, which has nothing to
>do with my car per se, but with their short-lived, sub-par components.
>Failures are common. Don't know many owners of fairly late model
>cars?

This is the case with ALL cars. All car manufacturers do extreme cost
engineering, because the customer demands the cheapest product possible.
And they all throw on all the latest gewgaws because the customer demands
it. And now we are in the middle of the whole RoHS debacle which is
going to be causing increasing electronics reliability problems. If you
think the old L-Jetronic was plagued by cold solder joints, just WAIT
a couple years and see what the lead-free stuff is going to be like.

Don't blame BMW for that. Well, okay, blame BMW for it, but you have to
blame every other manufacturer too.

>But for guys who plop down 2 or 3 grand for a beat up old model, go
>for it. You don't have much to lose.

I strongly recommend it, yes.
--scott
Old November 21st 07, 05:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Scott Dorsey > wrote:
> I actually tried to buy a brand new BMW two years ago, but basically
> could not get one with all the electronics crap removed. So I kept
> driving the old ones. I am hoping for a stripped down Series 1 in the
> US, maybe? I don't want all that electronics junk. It breaks.

So do electrics. But it's simply not possible to get a modern car to
conform to emissions regs without the use of electronics.

Old November 21st 07, 08:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bubbles

Default Just rolled over 100K miles...my take on BMW

The tail light issue is actually very common... I have replaced one, but see
MANY other posts about error messages/defective bulb/taillights.
I had to take apart the driver window switch and clean the contact for it to
work one day... (5 minutes)
My good FAR outweighs the bad

Old November 21st 07, 08:11 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Mayner

Bubbles wrote:
> This guy is a troll... he never tells us what car/tranny/specific
> issues he has.
> Every american car I have had has been a TOTAL piece of ****, from the
> interior to the rust filled body and pathetic engines that guzzle.
> The honda I had was excellent, even when neglected and driven like
> hell, lasted a LONG time.
> No one said BMW made "perfect" cars - but the "enjoyment" outweighs
> the hassles - IF you are a "driver"
> Clearly, you are not a driver, and should hurry and buy a new car
> that will fulfill you - something with no "driving pleasure" should
> suit you fine... check out the wonderful collection of USA
> machines... THOSE should please someone like you.

Actually, there are a several USA models that are pretty good cars.
Reliability is up and build quality is up as well.

Bottom line: If you want to drive a car that will ruin your driving
experience for almost any other car in existence, then you want to drive a
BMW. If you have the ability to pay for the privilidge then you will not be
dissapointed. If you can't afford the costs then you shouldn't buy the car.

Old November 21st 07, 09:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Dave Plowman (News) > wrote:
>In article >,
> Scott Dorsey > wrote:
>> I actually tried to buy a brand new BMW two years ago, but basically
>> could not get one with all the electronics crap removed. So I kept
>> driving the old ones. I am hoping for a stripped down Series 1 in the
>> US, maybe? I don't want all that electronics junk. It breaks.

>So do electrics. But it's simply not possible to get a modern car to
>conform to emissions regs without the use of electronics.

Absolutely. The ECU is a big deal, and makes a huge improvement both in
emissions and efficiency.

But there is NO reason to have a microprocessor to control the interior
lights. There is no reason for a data buss carrying signals from module
to module around the chassis. Don't even get me talking about iDrive.

Stuff breaks. I want a car with less stuff. Why can't I order a Series
1 with no air conditioning, crank-up windows and manual seat controls,
and a manual transmission?
--scott
Old November 21st 07, 09:29 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_8_]

"Jeff Mayner" wrote
> Actually, there are a several USA models that are pretty good cars.
> Reliability is up and build quality is up as well.

The new Pontiac G8 with a V8 and a manual tranny should be interesting.
It's basically the Holden Commodore that they'll be importing from
Australia.

But if someone has been convinced by BMW's marketing to own an "ultimate
driving machine", they will probably not even look at a GM product,
regardless how good it is or how much less it costs.

I personally do not think BMWs are worth their money. Sure, they're nice
cars, but other companies also make nice cars... for less.

Pete