check enigne light

Old October 1st 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
nesscam

Default check enigne light

the check engine light comes on every once and awhile when i drive my honda
civic dx can not figute it out

Old October 1st 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

Year and make of Honda please? Miles? Recent maintenance and
repairs done on it? Autozone may be able to read the "codes"
that are setting off the CEL for you, and they charge
nothing for the service. Post back with the codes etc.

"nesscam" > wrote

Old October 1st 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_1_]

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 09:56:36 -0400, nesscam > wrote:

>the check engine light comes on every once and awhile when i drive my honda
>civic dx can not figute it out

which word don't you understand?
Honda has tried to make it so easy understand that it is called an idiot light.
Old October 1st 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_1_]

This is usually a sensor going bad. If you don't fix it nothing may happen
for a while, but eventually the car will stop running. Good preventative
maintenance is to take the car to Autozone or a service center, and have
them read the stored fault codes out of the computer. This will usually
indicate what needs to be replaced, cleaned or adjusted.

Sometimes it is just a gas cap leaking.

Earle

lkaboutautos.com...

Old October 2nd 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ufatbastehd

Earle Horton wrote:
> This is usually a sensor going bad. If you don't fix it nothing may happen
> for a while, but eventually the car will stop running. Good preventative
> maintenance is to take the car to Autozone or a service center, and have
> them read the stored fault codes out of the computer. This will usually
> indicate what needs to be replaced, cleaned or adjusted.
>
> Sometimes it is just a gas cap leaking.
>
> Earle
>
> "nesscam" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
> > the check engine light comes on every once and awhile when i drive my

> honda
> > civic dx can not figute it out

Earl are you the same Earl from the Jeep forum. I read and post there
once in while
Just got a 94 civic DX coup for ny daughter so now I'm here trying to
learn a little

Old October 2nd 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_5_]

"ufatbastehd" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Earle Horton wrote:
> > This is usually a sensor going bad. If you don't fix it nothing may

happen
> > for a while, but eventually the car will stop running. Good

preventative
> > maintenance is to take the car to Autozone or a service center, and have
> > them read the stored fault codes out of the computer. This will usually
> > indicate what needs to be replaced, cleaned or adjusted.
> >
> > Sometimes it is just a gas cap leaking.
> >
> > Earle
> >
> > "nesscam" > wrote in message
> > lkaboutautos.com...
> > > the check engine light comes on every once and awhile when i drive my

> > honda
> > > civic dx can not figute it out
> > >

> Earl are you the same Earl from the Jeep forum. I read and post there
> once in while
> Just got a 94 civic DX coup for ny daughter so now I'm here trying to
> learn a little

That's me. Change the fluids. It's a lot like a Jeep. It's probably time
for a timing belt though. Use Honda Genuine Antifreeze, unless you want a
hole in the cylinder head. Assume the previous owner never changed spark
plugs, etc.

They're good cars, once you get to know them.

Earle

Old October 2nd 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ufatbastehd

Earle Horton wrote:
> "ufatbastehd" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Earle Horton wrote:
> > > This is usually a sensor going bad. If you don't fix it nothing may

> happen
> > > for a while, but eventually the car will stop running. Good

> preventative
> > > maintenance is to take the car to Autozone or a service center, and have
> > > them read the stored fault codes out of the computer. This will usually
> > > indicate what needs to be replaced, cleaned or adjusted.
> > >
> > > Sometimes it is just a gas cap leaking.
> > >
> > > Earle
> > >
> > > "nesscam" > wrote in message
> > > lkaboutautos.com...
> > > honda
> > > >

> > Earl are you the same Earl from the Jeep forum. I read and post there
> > once in while
> > Just got a 94 civic DX coup for ny daughter so now I'm here trying to
> > learn a little
> >

> That's me. Change the fluids. It's a lot like a Jeep. It's probably time
> for a timing belt though. Use Honda Genuine Antifreeze, unless you want a
> hole in the cylinder head. Assume the previous owner never changed spark
> plugs, etc.
>
> They're good cars, once you get to know them.
>
> Earle

Hey thanks for the tips PO changed the timing belt already and I plan
to change all fluids, hoses, belts, new plugs, wires, distributor car
and rotor, clean all grounds and coat with di-electric grease. My Jeep
ownership has taught me a little. Had no idea about the anti-freeze
though thanks

Old October 2nd 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_5_]

"ufatbastehd" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Earle Horton wrote:
> > "ufatbastehd" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...

> > happen

> > preventative

have

usually

lkaboutautos.com...

my

> > > Earl are you the same Earl from the Jeep forum. I read and post there
> > > once in while
> > > Just got a 94 civic DX coup for ny daughter so now I'm here trying to
> > > learn a little
> > >

> > That's me. Change the fluids. It's a lot like a Jeep. It's probably

time
> > for a timing belt though. Use Honda Genuine Antifreeze, unless you want

> > hole in the cylinder head. Assume the previous owner never changed

spark
> > plugs, etc.
> >
> > They're good cars, once you get to know them.
> >
> > Earle

> Hey thanks for the tips PO changed the timing belt already and I plan
> to change all fluids, hoses, belts, new plugs, wires, distributor car
> and rotor, clean all grounds and coat with di-electric grease. My Jeep
> ownership has taught me a little. Had no idea about the anti-freeze
> though thanks

You can probably find compatible antifreeze aftermarket, if you want to look
for it, but these cars only take a gallon of premix, so why bother?

Only use Honda power steering fluid, but they sell this "everywhere".

Earle