A '78 With Only 80 For 26

Old July 10th 12, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

Default A '78 With Only 80 For 26

Would you buy it?

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-2/?refer=news

Patrick
Old July 10th 12, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
twk

In article
" > wrote:

> Would you buy it?
>
> http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...he-day-1978-fo
> rd-mustang-ii-2/?refer=news
>
> Patrick

I wouldn't buy it, but I can't afford to be a collector.
Would someone buy that car and drive it? I'd be afraid to.
Like someone said in the comment section, it might make an interesting
addition to a mustang collection. I think think it's quite nice, but
only a collector would buy that car. For that much money, I'd buy
something MUCH newer, something I could drive, modify a little, and not
worry (to much) about wrecking it. /grin

I once rented a mustang II with a v8. It had 900 miles on it. I thought
it wasn't bad. Ha ha, I ended up buying a 1979 chevy monza spyder. (vega)
I guess that blows my opinion to heck.
I put 175,000 mostly trouble free miles on that monza.

--
For all you know this message was...
Sent via an exclusive network, on a snobby portable computing device.
Old July 10th 12, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 7/9/2012 21:11, wrote:
> Would you buy it?

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-2/?refer=news

> Patrick

Probably not for that price. I paid less than that for the TDI.

Old July 11th 12, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2012-07-10, > wrote:
> Would you buy it?

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-2/?refer=news

No. It's pointless for me. It cannot be driven without destroying what
makes it worth having. Let someone who keeps cars in bubbles buy it.

Old July 11th 12, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
john

" > wrote in message
> Would you buy it?
>
> http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-2/?refer=news
>
> Patrick

tires have to be new, they would have rotted,
the car must have been on blocks for 30+years
How did they keep it from rusting inside for 30+ years ?

Engine bay was painted probably the rest of the car was too.

All the wiring would be stiff as heck, brittle.

looks like aftermarket steering wheel

gas system will be full of gunk

HP is far too low for me. Rather have a

I buy performance, not how rare something is.

rather get one of these and put a 5.0 engine in it (with blower) no
mufflers;
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/197/4...bb765c0d10.jpg

Old July 11th 12, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 7/11/2012 15:42, john wrote:
> " > wrote in message
>> Would you buy it?
>>
>> http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-2/?refer=news
>>
>> Patrick

> tires have to be new, they would have rotted,

The current tires on my Thunderbird were purchased in about 1980 and
still holding air.

> the car must have been on blocks for 30+years
> How did they keep it from rusting inside for 30+ years ?
>
> Engine bay was painted probably the rest of the car was too.
>
> All the wiring would be stiff as heck, brittle.

Most of the vast majority of the wiring on my Mustang is not nor is
my Thunderbird.

> looks like aftermarket steering wheel

Looks right to me, but if it is, someone went way out of their way
to get that Ghia thing in the center...
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0122_large.jpg

> gas system will be full of gunk

Where are you getting all this? It hasn't been driven enough to get
water in the tank.

Old July 12th 12, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
john

"WindsorFox<SS>" > wrote in message
> On 7/11/2012 15:42, john wrote:
>> " > wrote in message
>>> Would you buy it?
>>>
>>> http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-2/?refer=news
>>>
>>> Patrick

>> tires have to be new, they would have rotted,

> The current tires on my Thunderbird were purchased in about 1980 and
> still holding air.

I sold a Chevy 1965 barn find that had been sitting since 1985 still had air
in tires except one, but the tires were full of splits could not be driven
on the highway. I have another barn-find a 1963 Jag that is still sitting
since about 1986, all 4 tires total flats to the rim. Even a 93 mustang I
had,(ex cop car) the tires were way too hard 10 years later.

>> the car must have been on blocks for 30+years
>> How did they keep it from rusting inside for 30+ years ?
>>
>> Engine bay was painted probably the rest of the car was too.
>>
>> All the wiring would be stiff as heck, brittle.

> Most of the vast majority of the wiring on my Mustang is not nor is my
> Thunderbird.

the 93 mustang I had some of the wires would crack open if you bent them,
but not all wires.

>> looks like aftermarket steering wheel

> Looks right to me, but if it is, someone went way out of their way to
> get that Ghia thing in the center...
> http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0122_large.jpg

you are right, looks sporty

>> gas system will be full of gunk

> Where are you getting all this? It hasn't been driven enough to get
> water in the tank.

If the gas tank was full or 1/2 full it would get water in the tank over
time just due to atmospheric pressure changes. I stored a motorcycle once
with 1/2 a tank full (no water) and 1 year months later it had about 2 cups
of water in the bottom, rusted the inside of the tank. A stored car will
pull in moisture from the air, it condensences as water inside the tank, we
used to store cars on blocks when we went out to sea for 6 months or more
(Navy) and would drain all the gas out.

I think the gas in the tank keeps the water from evaporating back out again.

Its easy to check it on the above car, just pump gas from its gas line into
a glass gallon jug and look at it.