How Many Is Too Many?

Old January 20th 12, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

Default How Many Is Too Many?

Lexus and Hyundai currently have 8. Dodge will soon have 9. Now
seems Hyundai is upping the ante and developing a 10-speed automatic
transmission. Good god, where does this end? Soon cars will be
sporting enough gears to make a trucker blush.

Patrick
Old January 20th 12, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jimbo ...

" > wrote in message
> Lexus and Hyundai currently have 8. Dodge will soon have 9. Now
> seems Hyundai is upping the ante and developing a 10-speed automatic
> transmission. Good god, where does this end? Soon cars will be
> sporting enough gears to make a trucker blush.
>
> Patrick

three is enough .....hate a lot of auto gears

Old January 22nd 12, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 21, 12:11*pm, Dickr > wrote:
> On 1/20/2012 7:47 AM, wrote:> Lexus and Hyundai currently have 8. *Dodge will soon have 9. *Now
> > seems Hyundai is upping the ante and developing a 10-speed automatic
> > transmission. *Good god, where does this end? *Soon cars will be
> > sporting enough gears to make a trucker blush.

> > Patrick

> A friend of mine had a 1957 Chev with a 283 V8, loud dual exhaust and a
> Turboglide
> transmission. Very different steady tune from the exhaust while the car
> increased
> in speed but the engine RPM didn't change that much.
> Because of its unique operating characteristics, Turboglide did not
> require large changes
> in engine RPM even with very large differences in car speed or desired
> engine output. In fact,
> accelerating from rest, the engine speed would remain nearly
> constant(with no movement of
> the accelerator), even as the vehicle accelerated.

Dick,

Are you speaking of GM's old 2-speed Powerglide?

I had one of those 2-speeds in a 60's Impala I used to own.

Patrick

Old January 23rd 12, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Thus spake Dickr > :

>On 1/22/2012 11:38 AM, wrote:
>> On Jan 21, 12:11 pm, > wrote:
>>> On 1/20/2012 7:47 AM, wrote:> Lexus and Hyundai currently have 8. Dodge will soon have 9. Now
>>> A friend of mine had a 1957 Chev with a 283 V8, loud dual exhaust and a
>>> Turboglide
>>> transmission. Very different steady tune from the exhaust while the car
>>> increased
>>> in speed but the engine RPM didn't change that much.
>>> Because of its unique operating characteristics, Turboglide did not
>>> require large changes
>>> in engine RPM even with very large differences in car speed or desired
>>> engine output. In fact,
>>> accelerating from rest, the engine speed would remain nearly
>>> constant(with no movement of
>>> the accelerator), even as the vehicle accelerated.

>> Dick,
>>
>> Are you speaking of GM's old 2-speed Powerglide?
>>
>> I had one of those 2-speeds in a 60's Impala I used to own.
>>
>> Patrick
>>

>Nope, the Powerglide was a different transmission.
>Dick

By most counts, the Poweglide is the most used transmission in racing.
Primarily because of the monsterous number of cars running one in drag
racing. I've even seen 2002 F-Birds running one, since by the time
you can manage to get to third you're shutting down.

I'll have one in my 351W (408) car. But not a GM product per se'
--

- dillon I am not invalid

So Kim Jung Ill shows up at the barbecue. "Wait,"
says Qadaffi, "you don't have any peircings." "If you
starve your people enough they'll be too weak to rebbel."
"You have the same number of holes in your head as when
you were born," says bin Laden. "My compound had radar
and antiacraft misslles." "Your neck," shouted Hussein,
"it's the same length." "I didn't **** on W's father."
"Then what happened?" the three asked. "Damned counterfiet
Lipitor and insulin!"
Old January 24th 12, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 05:47:04 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>Lexus and Hyundai currently have 8. Dodge will soon have 9. Now
>seems Hyundai is upping the ante and developing a 10-speed automatic
>transmission. Good god, where does this end? Soon cars will be
>sporting enough gears to make a trucker blush.
>
>Patrick

I suspect a lot of it is marketing. Once you add a third planetary
gear set you have all sorts of possible ratios. Now that most
transmissions are controlled electronically rather then by simple
hydraulic valves, it's almost trivial to add another "gear". I read
some years back that in many of these transmissions they often
"skipped" one or more of the possible ratios depending on how hard you
were accelerating since most of the time you don't need all of them to
move things along. It would be interesting to talk to a car makers
autobox engineer about this.
Old January 25th 12, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 24, 2:33*pm, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 05:47:04 -0800 (PST), "
>
> > wrote:
> >Lexus and Hyundai currently have 8. *Dodge will soon have 9. *Now
> >seems Hyundai is upping the ante and developing a 10-speed automatic
> >transmission. *Good god, where does this end? *Soon cars will be
> >sporting enough gears to make a trucker blush.

> I suspect a lot of it is marketing. *Once you add a third planetary
> gear set you have all sorts of possible ratios. *Now that most
> transmissions are controlled electronically rather then by simple
> hydraulic valves, it's almost trivial to add another "gear". *I read
> some years back that in many of these transmissions they often
> "skipped" one or more of the possible ratios depending on how hard you
> were accelerating since most of the time you don't need all of them to
> move things along. *It would be interesting to talk to a car makers
> autobox engineer about this.

I'm sure skipping would have to happen quite often. If you're putting
your foot in it, you're not concerned about economy, you want
acceleration, so it would make little sense to hit all the gears. But
if you're cruising, the trans should then act to keep the engine in
it's sweet spot for best MPG. Or so it seems.

Patrick