Best no BS motor oil/filter comparison?

Old November 24th 08, 08:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
HiC

Default Best no BS motor oil/filter comparison?

I see opinions of the "I swear by" type all over the map. Anyone know
of a good site that shows the truth about which brand/type of oil &
filter performs the best? Thinking in the passenger car realm.

Thanks

Old November 24th 08, 08:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar...lterstudy.html seems to be an
unbiased study....

Old November 24th 08, 09:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
Bruiser[_2_]

http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/index.html
Old November 24th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
Kruse

On Nov 24, 2:02 am, HiC > wrote:
> I see opinions of the "I swear by" type all over the map. Anyone know
> of a good site that shows the truth about which brand/type of oil &
> filter performs the best? Thinking in the passenger car realm.
>
> Thanks

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Excellent discussion.
Old November 24th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
HLS

"HiC" > wrote in message
>I see opinions of the "I swear by" type all over the map. Anyone know
> of a good site that shows the truth about which brand/type of oil &
> filter performs the best? Thinking in the passenger car realm.
>
> Thanks

I know of no site that gives the meaningful data that a technical person
would like to see.

There have been sites which attempt to separate the sheep from the goats
by cutting the filter open and examining the apparent quality of the
components and the construction. I have little faith in these comparisons.

The data probably does exist to be able to evaluate these products but
I have never seen it tabulated and available to the public.

Old November 24th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
C. E. White[_1_]

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> HiC > wrote in news:8455880c-4d03-4ce4-a7eb-
> :
>
>> I see opinions of the "I swear by" type all over the map. Anyone
>> know
>> of a good site that shows the truth about which brand/type of oil &
>> filter performs the best? Thinking in the passenger car realm.
>>

> There isn't any. Not such that I've ever been able to find online,
> anyway.
>
> Those sites that pull filters apart to see what they look like
> inside tell
> you absolutely nothing useful at all.

I have cut open of bunch of filters open myself (mostly FL820S
Competitors and a few Toyota and Nissan filters).I did learn useful
information. There are some things you can tell just by looking and
measuring - type of anti-drain back valve, type of relief valve, total
amount of filter material, general type of filter material, general
quality of construction. And some things you cannot tell by just
looking - filtering efficiency (some manufacturers provide this),
actual filter capacity, flow rate, relief valve release point, burst
strength of the filter can. I would contend that if you cut open a
filter and see a hard rubber relief valve, a sparse amount of filter
material, sloppy internal construction, and a crummy looking relief
valve, you might decide that filter was not a good choice.

> The safest things you can do:
> 1) Use the correct OEM oil filter sold by your automaker's local
> dealer.

Maybe, maybe not. Honda has sold Fram filters in the past labeled as
Honda filters. Fram is not my favorite choice even if it says Honda on
the outside. Toyota dealers routinely sell replacement filters that
are radically different that the OE filters originally supplied on
some engines. I like the OE Toyota filters and go out of my way to buy
those (they cost more and dealers often don't stock them). Ford has at
times sold different Motorcraft replacement filters than the OE
filters originally on the engine (similar, but clearly different).
Some aftermarket filters appear to be significantly better made than
some OE filters.

> 2) Use a major brand-name oil that displays the API starburst.

You need to make sure the oil is the correct viscosity, grade, and
meets all the OE manufacturer's specs. For most US and Japanese
vehicles, the API service class (SL, SM, etc) can usually be depended
on to indicate the oil meet the vehicle manufacturer's warranty
requirements. For some European vehicles, this is not necessarily
true. It is always best to make sure the oil you are buying
specifically says it meets the vehicle manufacturer's specifications
for your vehicle. For both the Fords and Toyota's that I service that
specify 5W30, 5W20, or 0W20 oil, I always look to make sure they
explicitly say they meet Ford's oil spec. Ford's specs were actually
more robust than the API service category for 5W20 oils when Ford
first started specifying the 5W20 oils.

Ed

Old November 24th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
Mark A[_2_]

"C. E. White" > wrote in message
> Maybe, maybe not. Honda has sold Fram filters in the past labeled as Honda
> filters. Fram is not my favorite choice even if it says Honda on the
> outside.

Fram makes a wide variety of oil filters, some sold under their own brand,
and some sold under other brands.

Most people agree that the lowest price Fram filter (About $2.50 at discount
stores) is of questionable quality, but the one that sells for about $11.00
is quite good. It is unwise to lump all Fram filters into the same category.

Old November 24th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
C. E. White[_1_]

"Mark A" > wrote in message
.. .
> "C. E. White" > wrote in message
>> Maybe, maybe not. Honda has sold Fram filters in the past labeled
>> as Honda filters. Fram is not my favorite choice even if it says
>> Honda on the outside.

> Fram makes a wide variety of oil filters, some sold under their own
> brand, and some sold under other brands.
>
> Most people agree that the lowest price Fram filter (About $2.50 at
> discount stores) is of questionable quality, but the one that sells
> for about $11.00 is quite good. It is unwise to lump all Fram
> filters into the same category.

I am mainly interested in filters for the vehicles I own or regularly
service - Fords, Toyotas, a Nissan, and a Mazda. For the Fords, from
what I have seen, the $3.28 Motorcraft FL820S Filter is better than
the best Fram equivalent, the TG2, which cost $6.15 the last time I
bought one. The TG2 is only marginally better than the lower priced,
but used by the same applications, Fram PH2 ($3.77) yet cost 40% more.
Now maybe for some other applications, the Fram filters are not so
obviously inferior. But for the applications I care about, Fram
filters are not my choice.

Ed

Old November 24th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
Scott Dorsey

Mark A > wrote:
>Fram makes a wide variety of oil filters, some sold under their own brand,
>and some sold under other brands.
>
>Most people agree that the lowest price Fram filter (About $2.50 at discount
>stores) is of questionable quality, but the one that sells for about $11.00
>is quite good. It is unwise to lump all Fram filters into the same category.

The problem is that you have to, unless you can tell WHICH one you are
getting. If you don't have proof of what grade you have, you must assume
it is the lowest possible.
--scott