90 Accord and broken power door locks

Old October 15th 04, 03:53 PM
Eric Hollins

Default 90 Accord and broken power door locks

So, here is my situation. I have a 1990 Accord EX coupe. When I
bought the car, the power door locks worked. Worked fine for about a
year. Then, one day they stopped working. I didn't think it was a
problem because they working the day after that. They worked fine for
about 2 weeks and then they went dead again for about 2 days. This
kept happening; the length of them going out kept getting longer and
the interval between them going out was getting shorter. Then, one
day they just stopped working and haven't worked in over a year.

So, does anyone have any ideas of what is wrong? What could I do to
do diagnose the problem? How can I fix it, preferably by myself?

Thanks.

Eric Hollins
Old October 15th 04, 07:21 PM
Al Reynolds

"Eric Hollins" > wrote in message
om...
> So, here is my situation. I have a 1990 Accord EX coupe. When I
> bought the car, the power door locks worked. Worked fine for about a
> year. Then, one day they stopped working. I didn't think it was a
> problem because they working the day after that. They worked fine for
> about 2 weeks and then they went dead again for about 2 days. This
> kept happening; the length of them going out kept getting longer and
> the interval between them going out was getting shorter. Then, one
> day they just stopped working and haven't worked in over a year.
>
> So, does anyone have any ideas of what is wrong? What could I do to
> do diagnose the problem? How can I fix it, preferably by myself?

If they're similar to my 94-97 accord, there will be a rubber ribbed
tube between the front of the drivers door and the front panel near
the dash. Occasionally the connectors need cleaning up, or just fitting
in a bit better because they've worked loose. Worth a try to begin with.

Al

Old October 17th 04, 11:44 AM
Ricky Spartacus

"Eric Hollins" > wrote in message
om...
> So, here is my situation. I have a 1990 Accord EX coupe. When I
> bought the car, the power door locks worked. Worked fine for about a
> year. Then, one day they stopped working. I didn't think it was a
> problem because they working the day after that. They worked fine for
> about 2 weeks and then they went dead again for about 2 days. This
> kept happening; the length of them going out kept getting longer and
> the interval between them going out was getting shorter. Then, one
> day they just stopped working and haven't worked in over a year.
> So, does anyone have any ideas of what is wrong? What could I do to
> do diagnose the problem? How can I fix it, preferably by myself?- Eric

Hollins

Power supply problem? Diagnose at the control unit's terminal (probably
inside door panels.) Connect +12V and ground at the appropriate
terminals (you might need a diagram.) This will manually activate
the locks and determine the cause. Otherwise wiggle some
suspect connections and play with the switch.

Old October 23rd 04, 11:56 PM
lamont1

when you have a problem with both at the same time, its usually the switch
or if this car has one, the relay. i have that car as a parts car by the
way.

Old October 23rd 04, 11:59 PM
lamont1

also, there is a door lock actuator on my 87 accord under the seat, that
could be it also. you really should get the repair manual for that car, i
have the manual for my car ant it tells you how to test each part and what
the test voltages mean.