Brake Pad Thickness Variation Questions

Old October 11th 04, 03:30 AM
John Ings

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:56:51 GMT, JXStern >
wrote:

>NEVER turn Honda rotors!
>
>So that dealer twelve years ago took me, huh? Thought so.

It's a great cash cow for dealers, and not just Honda dealers.
A turned rotor seldom lasts long, and most turning is unnescessary
anyway.

Here's a good webpage on the subject:
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf100326.htm

Old October 11th 04, 06:25 AM
Sparky

SoCalMike wrote:

> JXStern wrote:

>>> I second the motion! NEVER turn Honda rotors!

>> So that dealer twelve years ago took me, huh? Thought so.

> they do it to be on the "safe side". if the brakes make some noise or
> pulse a bit, youll be back for a freebie. they dont want that.
>
> ive personally never had a problem with any of those problems myself,
> just slapping new pads on and taking it easy until they "bed in".
>
> if i DID discover a problem that didnt go away after a week or so, its
> easy enough for me to just throw some new discs on and still be ahead,
> money-wise.

When I replace brake pads (last time was on my '88 Integra) I use fine
sandpaper on the rotors to break the glaze that forms - it's supposed to
make the new pads seat better. I plan to do the same when the time comes
for my '03 Accord. I have never had rotors turned, ever.

Where to get Official Speed Limit Info [email protected] Driving 40 January 3rd 05 08:10 AM
A6 (1996) brake pad thickness warning light? John Prendergast Audi 3 November 18th 04 01:22 PM
More Brake Questions Holo Corvette 0 October 31st 04 04:48 PM
Neon with tricky brake lights do_crev Chrysler 4 October 19th 04 06:12 PM