TheTtruthAabout Digital Cameras

Old January 12th 07, 08:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.pictures.vehicles
C J Campbell

Default TheTtruthAabout Digital Cameras

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:27:38 -0800, Episteme wrote
(in article >):

> http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/...ogues-posts-2/

Well, it is not like he discovered the megapixel myth. Others have noticed
it, too. In fact, there is considerable evidence that in the point and
shoots, anyway, the quality *decreases* as the megapixels increase, mostly
because of increased noise, but also because more megapixels magnify the
effects of camera shake.

Pogue is absolutely right. Most people do not get *any* benefit from having
more than 5Mp and most of them actually take worse pictures with more. Thom
Hogan pointed out that even with a DSLR, picture quality degrades for most
people once you get above 8Mp. Most people shoot handheld and do not put the
time or care into getting all the value out of more resolution than that.

Of course, if you do put the time and effort into it, more pixels will reward
you handsomely. But for most people it is just a waste of money.

Old January 12th 07, 09:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.pictures.vehicles
C J Campbell

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:27:38 -0800, Episteme wrote
(in article >):

> http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/...ogues-posts-2/

One other thing I would point out. Not only is the printer the limiting
factor on prints these days, but most people never print anything larger than
4x6. Or they just keep their pictures on their computer. For them, anything
over 2 or 3Mp is a waste of money. No computer screen can take advantage of
any more. I have a 17" MacBook Pro, one of the finest screens available among
laptops. And the best it can do is 1.7Mp. It is incapable of showing any
improvement my Nikon D200 has over most cell phones, let alone my D70 or
Coolpix 7900.

Then consider printers. Few home printers are capable of displaying more than
about 4 or 5Mp. No wonder Pogue couldn't tell the difference printing an 8Mp
picture. There wasn't any! They were all 5Mp photos by the time they were
printed.

So, why bother with more pixels? The downside -- more blur from camera shake
and more noise -- is substantial, yet there is little benefit to be realized.
Well, for most of us, we are used to cropping our pictures, sometimes
considerably. More pixels gives us the ability to do that without losing
displayed quality. More pixels are like having a cheap telephoto. :-)

Cameras to watch the cameras. Brent P[_1_] Driving 111 January 31st 07 11:56 PM
TheTtruthAabout Digital Cameras Episteme Auto Photos 30 January 12th 07 09:05 PM
Digital Radio (UK)? Peter[_2_] Audi 3 August 15th 06 07:43 PM
FreeFlatScreenGuide (Site to get free ipods, digital cameras, more) Stinkbud BMW 0 November 5th 04 04:27 PM
DIgital Radio Michael Saturn 2 July 11th 04 07:52 PM