Not a Ford & not a hardtop, but...

Old January 13th 12, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

Default Not a Ford & not a hardtop, but...

....427 cubes, 505HP, 6-speed manual, 3,300 pounds, I could make an
exception.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...NEWS/120119956

Patrick
Old January 13th 12, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 1/12/2012 18:47, wrote:
> ...427 cubes, 505HP, 6-speed manual, 3,300 pounds, I could make an
> exception.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...NEWS/120119956

> Patrick

"rolls on 19-inch wheels front with 20-inchers rear." Really??

I assume there is *some* point to that other than making the upkeep cost
as expensive as possible.
Old January 13th 12, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 13, 7:20*am, "WindsorFox<SS>" >
wrote:
> On 1/12/2012 18:47, wrote:
>
> > ...427 cubes, 505HP, 6-speed manual, 3,300 pounds, I could make an
> > exception.

> >http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...NEWS/120119956

> * * "rolls on 19-inch wheels front with 20-inchers rear." *Really??
>
> I assume there is *some* point to that other than making the upkeep cost
> as expensive as possible.

The Vette has been sporting larger rear tires for some years now --
it's nothing new. Plus, if you can afford the car, you should be able
to afford the tires.

Patrick
Old January 13th 12, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
biofilm

wrote:
> On 1/12/2012 18:47, wrote:
>
> > ...427 cubes, 505HP, 6-speed manual, 3,300 pounds, I could make an
> > exception.

> >http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...NEWS/120119956

> "rolls on 19-inch wheels front with 20-inchers rear." Really??
>
>> I assume there is *some* point to that other than making the upkeep cost
>> as expensive as possible.

>The Vette has been sporting larger rear tires for some years now --
>it's nothing new. Plus, if you can afford the car, you should be able
>to afford the tires.

>Patrick

The skinny thickness tires put the street in your pants,
Wider is better, but less thickness?, looks cool, but rides hard.
plus if you hit a bump, => new rims too

I like the 15 inch on the 1993 5.0 cop cars, not for looks, but overall
performance.

But a nice Vett!!

Old January 21st 12, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 12, 6:47*pm, "
> wrote:

Some additional info. Note: 0-60 in 3.8, quarter in 11.8, top speed
190 mph and over 1G in the corners. Amazing car! Love to have one
sitting next to the Mustang in the garage.

More than 40 years have passed since Chevrolet labeled a Corvette with
a 427 badge, but beginning this summer for a limited run the legendary
nameplate will return on a convertible model commemorating the
marque’s 60th anniversary. The car was unveiled to the public for the
first time Friday night at the Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale,
Ariz., where the rights to purchase the first car with serial number
001 will be auctioned off Saturday night. Proceeds from the sale will
go toward the AARP’s Drive to End Hunger charity, coordinated through
Chevy dealer and NASCAR team owner Rick Hendrick.

The 2013 Corvette 427 Convertible Collector Edition will be the
fastest and most capable convertible in Corvette’s history, according
to Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter. Along with the 427, Chevy
will offer a 60th Anniversary Package available on all 2013 Corvette
models.

The 427 Convertible takes elements from both the Z06 and ZR1 models.
The 427 is fitted with the LS7 engine from the Z06 that makes 505 hp
and 470 lb-ft, making it the most powerful engine ever put into a
Vette convertible. Like the Z06, the 427 Convertible is only available
with a six-speed manual.

The Corvette 427 Convertible will have the same driveline and rear
axle system from the Corvette Z06, a rear-mounted battery and standard
Magnetic Selective Ride Control. The standard 19-inch front and 20-
inch rear wheels are wrapped in ZR1-style Michelin PS2 tires.
Lightweight machine-face Cup wheels--introduced on the 2012 Corvette
Z06 with Z07 and Corvette ZR1 with PDE performance packages--come
standard and include unique gray-painted pockets. Black Cup wheels or
chrome ZR1-style wheels are also available.

The 427 Convertible is fitted with several carbon-fiber components to
help reduce weight, including carbon fiber raised hood (introduced on
the 2011 Z06 Carbon Edition), carbon fiber Z06-style fenders and
carbon fiber floor panels. “CFZ” carbon fiber front splitter and
rocker panels are optional on the 427 Convertible and included with
the 60th Anniversary package.

Juechter said the 427 is also being used a bit as a test-bed for some
C7 Corvette technology, where they are using advanced composite
materials to help reduce the weight of the car by some 40 pounds,
tipping the scales at 3,555 pounds. Juechter said he wouldn’t reveal
which components have been modified but that the overall weight
savings gives the 427 Convertible a power-to-weight ratio of 6.64--in
other words, 1 horsepower to every 6.64 pounds of vehicle weight.
According to Chevrolet, that’s better than the Porsche 911 Turbo S
Cabriolet at 6.90; the Audi R8 GT 5.2 FSI Spyder at 7.58; the Aston
Martin DBS Volante Convertible at 7.82; and the Ferrari California
Convertible at 8.31.

Juechter said the 427 Convertible should make the trip from 0 to 60
mph in 3.8 seconds, run a quarter-mile in 11.8 seconds and have a top
speed of more than 190 mph. Lateral acceleration is 1.04 g.

The 427 Convertible is available in 2LT, 3LT and 4LT trim levels and
will carry a unique vehicle identification number sequence, similar to
the Corvette ZR1.

All 2013 Corvette models, including the 427 Convertible, will be
available with a 60th Anniversary Package, featuring an Arctic White
exterior with a Blue Diamond leather-wrapped interior with suede
accents. Convertible models will have a blue fabric top.

Additional content includes a ZR1-style rear spoiler, special badging,
gray-painted brake calipers and the “60th” logo on the wheel center
caps, steering wheel and seat headrests. An optional graphics package
adds full-length racing stripes in Pearl Silver Blue, including a
tonal stripe stitched into the convertible top, extending the graphic
theme over the roof.

For 2013, all Corvettes will feature 60th Anniversary badges on the
fascias and the “waterfall” panel on convertible models, as well as
60th logos in the instrument panel gauge cluster and on the sill
plates.

The 2013 427 Convertible is not being built in limited numbers,
Juechter said they will build as many as they can sell. But it will be
built only for the 2013 model year as the sixth generation of
Corvettes wind down. Chevrolet officials have not said when the
seventh-generation Vette will be launched, but Juechter said C6 model
production will stop about a month before the C7 builds begin, giving
the plant in Bowling Green, Ky., time to make the model switchover.

Prices for the 427 Convertible were not released but sources expect
the model to start at less than $80,000.