Followup. 2008 Z06 Battery Draw Problem

Old June 3rd 09, 07:33 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Spud

Default Followup. 2008 Z06 Battery Draw Problem

Reference way below on my Z's battery draw down problem and going dead after
5 or 6 days. After half a dozen futile trips to the dealer I purchased it
from, I tried another dealer's service center across town to find the
problem.

Well, they informed me that there was a .45 mA intermittent draw that was
draining the battery. Factory spec. is around .12. They didn't know what
module was causing it, but said if I wanted to leave the car with them for a
week, they'd find it.

Then the service guy tells me, "I hate to tell you this, but this car has
been in a major accident. We originally sold the car to the lady. She
wrecked the car the day she got it." Come to find out, about $25k in
damage. So I talked to the body shop manager and he said he remembered the
car. Said they did a top notch job and that there was no frame or
electrical damage.

I got a Carfax when I bought the car. Went home and ran a new one and
it's still not on there. Carfax is not a guarantee of anything. My
insurance guy ran it through the insurance damage database and it's not
there either.

Went back to where I bought it and told them I did not want the car and
wanted a new one. Went from the Sales Mgr, to the Service Mgr, to the
General Mgr. Apparently, the woman outfoxed them. She came in after the
car was repaired and ordered a 2009. So, they purchased the '08 from her
and ordered an '09, which was not in production yet. Well, she never took
possession of the '09.

Went back and forth with the General Mgr. for about 6 weeks. Told him I
wanted a new one for the same price. Keeps telling me he can't find one.
I look on EBay and there's dozens of them. Finally, I requested a face to
face meeting last week. He tells me, "My guys got screwed. She outsmarted
them. We put the car up on the rack and it was perfect." I mentioned that
I had NOT mentioned the BBB, or the BAR, or an attorney and we ought to
handle this like gentlemen. He says, "You're right, what will it take to
make you happy?" Well, duh! "I want an equal or better car with no money
out of pocket."

I'll cut to the chase, 10 minutes later he finds a Z in San Francisco. New.
The next day they drove it into Fresno. The new monthly payment is
actually 10 dollars less than the old one. I got Obama money, and since it
was new, I got a rebate applied to the loan and 2.7% financing (old loan was
5.9%) and some sort of "certificates" he'd been saving. Got the Z for cost
and the old Z trade in was higher than what I paid. Took him and the
finance guy all day to figure it out.

So, while it was a real bummer on the old car, the Chevy dealer made me
happy and kept my business. So it ain't all bad at GM, at least on the
local level.

Ed

Old June 5th 09, 01:28 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"spud" > wrote in message
> Reference way below on my Z's battery draw down problem and going dead
> after 5 or 6 days. After half a dozen futile trips to the dealer I
> purchased it from, I tried another dealer's service center across town to
> find the problem.
>
> Well, they informed me that there was a .45 mA intermittent draw that was
> draining the battery. Factory spec. is around .12. They didn't know
> what module was causing it, but said if I wanted to leave the car with
> them for a week, they'd find it.
>
> Then the service guy tells me, "I hate to tell you this, but this car has
> been in a major accident. We originally sold the car to the lady. She
> wrecked the car the day she got it." Come to find out, about $25k in
> damage. So I talked to the body shop manager and he said he remembered
> the car. Said they did a top notch job and that there was no frame or
> electrical damage.
>
> I got a Carfax when I bought the car. Went home and ran a new one and
> it's still not on there. Carfax is not a guarantee of anything. My
> insurance guy ran it through the insurance damage database and it's not
> there either.
>
> Went back to where I bought it and told them I did not want the car and
> wanted a new one. Went from the Sales Mgr, to the Service Mgr, to the
> General Mgr. Apparently, the woman outfoxed them. She came in after the
> car was repaired and ordered a 2009. So, they purchased the '08 from
> her and ordered an '09, which was not in production yet. Well, she never
> took possession of the '09.
>
> Went back and forth with the General Mgr. for about 6 weeks. Told him I
> wanted a new one for the same price. Keeps telling me he can't find one.
> I look on EBay and there's dozens of them. Finally, I requested a face to
> face meeting last week. He tells me, "My guys got screwed. She
> outsmarted them. We put the car up on the rack and it was perfect." I
> mentioned that I had NOT mentioned the BBB, or the BAR, or an attorney and
> we ought to handle this like gentlemen. He says, "You're right, what will
> it take to make you happy?" Well, duh! "I want an equal or better car
> with no money out of pocket."
>
> I'll cut to the chase, 10 minutes later he finds a Z in San Francisco.
> New. The next day they drove it into Fresno. The new monthly payment is
> actually 10 dollars less than the old one. I got Obama money, and since
> it was new, I got a rebate applied to the loan and 2.7% financing (old
> loan was 5.9%) and some sort of "certificates" he'd been saving. Got the
> Z for cost and the old Z trade in was higher than what I paid. Took him
> and the finance guy all day to figure it out.
>
> So, while it was a real bummer on the old car, the Chevy dealer made me
> happy and kept my business. So it ain't all bad at GM, at least on the
> local level.
>
> Ed

It appears that the dealer knew they sold you a car that had been wrecked.
So, when confronted they had no option but to make it good. Had you not had
the tip from the service person, you might never have known. At least
someone was honest. In sum, if they can take you for a ride they will and
it does not matter whether the dealer is selling Chevys or Toyotas.

Old June 5th 09, 07:24 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Venger" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:

Snip
>> Carfax is worth very little as the last owners name and address is
>> on the title or in the dealers records and all you need to do is
>> call them or go ask them about the automobile. Any reputable car
>> dealer will help you get that information free, without Carfax. The
>> Carfax data is only as good as the information chosen to be put in
>> the data base for any car, war, murder, ponzi scheme, and horse
>> trade.

> I found mine useful for what it gave me - totals of mileage and
> where the car had been owned. Whether or not I can get that
> information from the dealer (as if a car dealer is a trustworthy
> Oracle of impartial and accurate information), I can also get it
> from the Carfax, so its utility for me in this matter is fairly
> inarguable.

Is what Carfax gave you all of the facts? You know that the dealer you
seem to distrust are the people that load the information you paid
for? We seem also to be arguing the fact that you may well have gotten
less than you paid for. As long as you're happy and the seller is
happy there should be no problem. Right Spud?

Old June 5th 09, 09:14 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Spud

> Is what Carfax gave you all of the facts? You know that the dealer you
> seem to distrust are the people that load the information you paid for? We
> seem also to be arguing the fact that you may well have gotten less than
> you paid for. As long as you're happy and the seller is happy there should
> be no problem. Right Spud?

Ok, you guys. The manager of the Chevy body shop told me he has nothing
to do with Carfax. He doesn't provide them information. He presumed it
was the insurance company or DMV. Well, if the lady that wrecked the car
doesn't fill out the DMV accident form that is required by law, well guess
what, Carfax doesn't know. Also, if she wrecked the car on the first or
second day after purchasing the car, it's not even registered yet.

So far I'm very happy with the new car. From Modesto to Fresno averaging
62 mph, I got 26.9 mpg according to the DIC. That's incredible. I'll
check off the mileage and a tank of gas next time to verify accuracy.

Ed

Old June 8th 09, 06:24 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"spud" > wrote in message

> So far I'm very happy with the new car.

And I'm sincerely glad you are. That was a strage story indeed.

However, I'm sorry you didn't get to bond properly with the 1st one.
Adopting a Corvette is to me a commitment.

Having owned my 1968 since 1978, I'm very saddened that the major retrofit
and overhaul it's about to get is likely the last time it's coming apart (at
my own own hands) in my lifetime.

To say I'm very attached to that car is an understatement. There are times I
love it, and times I love to hate it.... but never a time that I'd consider
ever letting someone else own it.
It was my first posession as an adult - and it will be my last.
The first ten were *all* for fun.... (evil grin)
The next 20 were utility....
This time it's for my legacy..............

-W

1999 Mustang GT battery draw: Bush[_1_] Technology 3 October 23rd 08 06:26 PM
Draw on Battery goes dead mtyjoe BMW 0 July 31st 06 10:55 PM
92 SL1 Battery draw in cold weather Erik Saturn 2 February 27th 06 01:52 PM
98 Sebring Conv.-- Draw on battery. robby Chrysler 2 May 14th 05 03:13 AM
92 SL2 - Static Battery Draw Scott Saturn 5 December 9th 04 06:15 PM