2004 HVAC Diplay

Old May 31st 09, 01:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Keith Segraves

Default 2004 HVAC Diplay

Over the past 6 months or so the display for the HVAC controls has
gotten progressively dimmer. Now it is totally dark so I can't tell
what the outside temp is or see what I have the HVAC set at. I've
checked all of the fuses and they are all good. Does anyone have any
ideas on what else to check? I'm trying to avoid a dealer repair
where they spend hours trying to figure it out. Thanks!
Old May 31st 09, 04:52 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"Keith Segraves" > wrote in message
> Over the past 6 months or so the display for the HVAC controls has
> gotten progressively dimmer. Now it is totally dark so I can't tell
> what the outside temp is or see what I have the HVAC set at. I've
> checked all of the fuses and they are all good. Does anyone have any
> ideas on what else to check? I'm trying to avoid a dealer repair
> where they spend hours trying to figure it out. Thanks!

I'm only guessing here but.... If that one display itself has a seperate
dimmer control circuit I'd suspect that first. If not that I'd bet the
dealer would just replace the display.

-W

Old May 31st 09, 07:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message
m...

> "Keith Segraves" > wrote in message
>> Over the past 6 months or so the display for the HVAC controls has
>> gotten progressively dimmer. Now it is totally dark so I can't
>> tell
>> what the outside temp is or see what I have the HVAC set at. I've
>> checked all of the fuses and they are all good. Does anyone have
>> any
>> ideas on what else to check? I'm trying to avoid a dealer repair
>> where they spend hours trying to figure it out. Thanks!

> I'm only guessing here but.... If that one display itself has a
> seperate
> dimmer control circuit I'd suspect that first. If not that I'd bet
> the
> dealer would just replace the display.

Loose connections on the board, they need to be re-soldered. Most of
the Corvette forums have detailed instructions, some with pictures.

Old June 1st 09, 04:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
FBNE[_2_]

Keith Segraves wrote:
> Over the past 6 months or so the display for the HVAC controls has
> gotten progressively dimmer. Now it is totally dark so I can't tell
> what the outside temp is or see what I have the HVAC set at. I've
> checked all of the fuses and they are all good. Does anyone have any
> ideas on what else to check? I'm trying to avoid a dealer repair
> where they spend hours trying to figure it out. Thanks!

It is a bad solder joint on one or more of the eight resistors on the
main board. Fairly simple process, find a link with pictures and follow
along. It took me a little over an hour to R&R the system. Once you
hit the problem resistor, it will basically jump off the board, keep an
eye on it when you hit it with the soldering iron. This would be a good
start for info -
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...splay-fix.html

Good luck

FBNE
01 Coupe Red
Old June 2nd 09, 09:44 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Venger[_2_]

Keith Segraves wrote:
> Over the past 6 months or so the display for the HVAC controls has
> gotten progressively dimmer. Now it is totally dark so I can't tell
> what the outside temp is or see what I have the HVAC set at. I've
> checked all of the fuses and they are all good. Does anyone have any
> ideas on what else to check? I'm trying to avoid a dealer repair
> where they spend hours trying to figure it out. Thanks!

There's a guy on eBay that repairs these pretty regularly - I'd have
mine already fixed except I am loathe to tear apart the console...

Venger

HVAC System E46 [email protected] BMW 0 May 14th 07 03:46 PM
HVAC backlight Corey VW water cooled 3 March 12th 07 01:57 PM
HVAC issues duecestangz Ford Mustang 0 June 15th 05 11:57 PM
Wrangler HVAC Fan willy Jeep 6 May 15th 05 03:29 PM
'03 Ion HVAC fan problem Biker Geek Saturn 4 October 5th 04 04:17 AM