What type of car do you drive, a white one?

Old December 1st 06, 06:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default What type of car do you drive, a white one?

Dean Dark wrote:

> Well, if *you* drove 309 at all regularly, you'd be aware of the
> massive reconstruction that's been going on there for the past year or
> more, and you would understand why map databases have not yet caught
> up.

These are long-standing errors. I am privileged to be able to commute
all 9.8 miles 100% on back roads, although 309 is a quick alternate for
the first/last leg of the trip depending on conditions.

Not so much touchy at all, as responding in an equally leaden way to
your post. For all that you might think of this area, we are still able
to leave our doors unlocked and get deliveries dropped on the porch
without worry. Of course any stranger on the block would not get 50
steps without some neighbor generally politely asking after their
bona-fides. Lemme see... we have 21 adults, 15 children, 6 cats, 9 dogs
and 3 turtles on the block. No trouble finding sitters. Age of
residents is ~75 to new-born. We lost our oldest resident (91 then)
four years ago.

Cheltenham is one of the oldest suburbs in the region, the foundations
of the oldest residences were laid in 1682, some seven years before the
Wynn house in Wynnfield. LaMott was a terminus of the Underground
Railroad, hence the friendly-but-pointed rivalry between the two
Historic Districts (Wyncote & LaMott) and who lives where. "Cedarbrook"
is kinda-sorta where the old quarry (and the township leaf-composting
facility) is and along Cheltenham Avenue (the city line) and so
referenced humorously at tax-time... run-down property, funny smells
and all that. And, of course, our train stations were designed by
Horace Trumbauer, not that upstart Frank Furness... and so forth.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old December 1st 06, 07:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dean Dark

On 1 Dec 2006 10:52:12 -0800, " > wrote:

>Of course any stranger on the block would not get 50
>steps without some neighbor generally politely asking after their
>bona-fides.

Come now, that would not happen.

*Relatively* safe you may be, but I know that block. It is on a busy
street with traffic lights at one end of it, overlooking a large train
station car park It is not some old fashioned rural village.
--
Dan.
Old December 1st 06, 08:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Dean Dark wrote:

> It is not some old fashioned rural village.

You do reach. And you do speculate pretty wildly.

No, it is not a rural village. But safer based on 24 years on the block
than our rural summer house up in Columbia County.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old December 1st 06, 08:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dean Dark

On 1 Dec 2006 12:18:05 -0800, " > wrote:

>> It is not some old fashioned rural village.

>You do reach. And you do speculate pretty wildly.

I don't see where I did either, but hey - maybe that's just me.

I really don't think it's a good idea to leave your doors unlocked
though.
--
Dan.
Old December 1st 06, 09:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Dean Dark wrote:

> I really don't think it's a good idea to leave your doors unlocked
> though.

The dogs certainly do.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old December 1st 06, 11:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dean Dark

On 1 Dec 2006 13:07:46 -0800, " > wrote:

>> I really don't think it's a good idea to leave your doors unlocked
>> though.

>The dogs certainly do.

That's one of the problems with dogs.

I have a small flap in the back door that lets my two cats come and go
as they please while at the same time allowing *me* to keep the doors
locked. The downside is that they sometimes bring small to medium
sized mammals into the house and then bloodily slaughter them, but I
digress...

"Cats rule, dogs drool." Dogs are just too much damned trouble,
IMHFO, and cats have bags more personality anyway. Women have always
known this, and it's one of the few things that they're actually right
about.

How's that? Or am I reaching and speculating wildly again?
--
Dan.
Old December 2nd 06, 12:18 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

We keep two cats and two dogs. If not known-to-family, 30 - 100 pounds
= breakfast. 100 pounds or larger = all day. Our neighbors' dogs and
cats feel much the same. We/they all know each other, and the "Pack" is
naturally wary of strangers.

As to cats:

The larger cat (for now) has brought home up to his own size and weight
(16#) in prey... with specific reference to a young raccoon brought in
more-or-less intact then chased up stairs, into the bathroom and
finally dispatched in the bathtub. Animal Control still does not
believe what they saw. He is FAST! The young one is not quite allowed
out yet, but he looks to be much larger eventually, as he is 12 pounds
at 11 months.

When we were in Saudi, the big cat learned to catch rats.... which,
until the underlying problem was found and solved (a void in the
concrete under the recyling corral), he would lay out two or three per
night at our kitchen door. Saudi was also the only place he ever
expressed any interest in birds, as Turtle Doves were a major pest in
that area... we were the only villa around without any bird crap, he
averaged 2-5 per week. Gekkos were candy, although he only chased those
if they were inside. In any case, even after 12 years of predatory
behavior he has come through all his encounters without a scratch on
him. But for damned sure, his rabies and other shots are current. Since
we have been back (two years come February) he has not even looked at a
bird.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Not only that, but he wears a bell and always has.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old December 2nd 06, 12:39 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dean Dark

On 1 Dec 2006 16:18:29 -0800, " > wrote:

>When we were in Saudi,

Well, I could tell you many tales of when I lived in exotic foreign
parts, and of local habits of keeping animals both as "pets" and for
food, as well as the variety of meat available from local butchers and
farmers. I have always said that I will eat anything that moves
slower than I do. I still say it.

But, I think this has gone far enough.
--
Dan.
Old December 4th 06, 03:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dori A Schmetterling

My goodness. Mind-numbing micro-detail. Can I have a number for the number
of drainage points per yard for said stretch or road and the angle of the
camber?

Which reminds me of Ball's Law

The Angle of the Dangle
Is proportional to the Thrust of the Bust
And inversely proportional to the Mass of the Ass
Provided that
The Heat of the Meat between the two feet remains constant.

DAS

---

> wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Old December 10th 06, 02:27 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Sneaks

"Chas Hurst" > wrote in message
> Yeah, lucky we are. I think cooking tripe may be worse that eating it.
> A friend familiar with Mexican food claims menudo is good for treating a
> hangover.
>
> "none2u" > wrote in message
> et...
>> Over here in Ohio , Menudo comes in a can in the grocery store...

>>> ups.com...

>>> You're not too far away from Philly. The home of pepper pot soup. Also
>>> known as Menudo to friends from south of the border.

And here I was thinking Menudo was a really bad boy band from the 80's....

Sneaks
'68 T1

viscous fan drive repair? Nate Nagel Technology 18 September 29th 06 02:49 AM
RWD stick shift "family" car... and fairly recent? ray Technology 106 September 5th 06 03:21 PM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
02 Dodge Neon White 4 Sale 50K Miles 4-cyl 4-door NJ, USA Jimscars36 Chrysler 0 January 28th 05 04:59 PM