NR2003 Driving Aid Detection

Old March 10th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default NR2003 Driving Aid Detection

Quick question(s)...

Is there a way to determine whether a driver is running a particular
aid(s)?? I run in a league and have some questions about whether a
particular driver is or is not using driver aids during race sessions.
I am not accusing him of cheating, just running totally legal (both in
NR2003 and the league rules) driver aids. MY issue with this comes from
the fact that I DON'T use such aids and whether getting beat by some
one who does, is something that I should address with the league
admins.

I know there is an player.ini file edit to allow the export of extra
info which adds tag info to each player and an "Options" line below the
results, but I don't know how to decipher these lines and/or tags.

Finally, is there a "penalty" for using traction control, stability
control, etc. in NR2003? That is, degraded performance in exchange for
increased control of the car?

Old March 10th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Darus wrote:
> Quick question(s)...
>
> Is there a way to determine whether a driver is running a particular
> aid(s)?? I run in a league and have some questions about whether a
> particular driver is or is not using driver aids during race sessions.
> I am not accusing him of cheating, just running totally legal (both in
> NR2003 and the league rules) driver aids. MY issue with this comes from
> the fact that I DON'T use such aids and whether getting beat by some
> one who does, is something that I should address with the league
> admins.
>
> I know there is an player.ini file edit to allow the export of extra
> info which adds tag info to each player and an "Options" line below the
> results, but I don't know how to decipher these lines and/or tags.
>
> Finally, is there a "penalty" for using traction control, stability
> control, etc. in NR2003? That is, degraded performance in exchange for
> increased control of the car?

when the race is setup, you can turn off aids and he won't be able to
use them. Unless there is a cheat for that, but I don't really keep up
on those.

Mike
mls67
TrippBros. Racing
Old March 10th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I know that aids CAN be turned off, but the league allows them. I want
to know if I am being beaten by someone using them.

Old March 10th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Thats the MAIN reason why I never run NR2003 anymore. Youre really up
against a wall when half the field are roof riding aids users and each can
fully justify their use in an online race. When I get beat by a guy on the
roof I just feel Ive been cheated and aids users are even worse. Taking
advantage of a weakness in the game is cheating plain and simple.

I never understood how/why Papy could give such an advantage to what was
meant to be basic help for some newb. The SIM aspect should have been given
priority and it was a huge disappointment to me that it wasnt.

Mitch

ups.com...

Old March 10th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Darus,

There are performance penalties for turning on traction control,
anti-lock brakes and stability control. I know of a test using "replay
analyzer" where these where confirmed. The penalties are in top end rpm.
That doesn't mean that the improved control isn't an advantage. When
using these "aids" I find it almost impossible to make a high
performance setup. Also if you turn your aids off and use force feedback
it is easier to actually feel the car to make a competitive setup. In
road racing the additional skill needed when not using aids seems to win
out over using them. However in SW and ST oval racing some think aids
are an advantage. SuperSpeedway racing is always affected by top end rev
penalties.

Roofing riding is not penalized but it is an advantage because of the
improved site lines. Road racing "roof riding" can be an advantage,
however on ovals I don't think it's much of an advantage because I use
no aids and drive in cockpit and win races anyway. I feel roof riding is
cheating but I run with guys anyway cause I like them ... but I remind
them they are roof riders and that roof riding is the way little girls
would drive. Cockpit=SIM Roof Riding=game. I SIM race.

After everything we have talked about here I still believe the biggest
gain comes from not using force feed back, where you don't have to react
to it and cause input steering and scrubbing. However I use force
feedback because I'm looking for everything that can get closer to real
simulation. I'm not interested in playing games.

The biggest penalty of all comes from drinking beer and smoking dope.

Old March 14th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

The only aid I've ever really used is 1 or 2% steering assistance to get the
figidity out of the wheel. You pay a big price for it though. Every second
you are off the line, it fights you and eats up tires.

1 or 2% ain't bad, but beyond that you're dead meat on long runs.

-Larry

Old March 15th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I have a friend who uses 70% or greater steering assist, and he can
beat the pants off of everyone I know.

The game has a lot of ways to try to gain a competitive advantage, but
none of them beat basic driving and pitting skills. Take a poor setup
with whatever aids you want, and if you drive and pit well, you will
beat most of the people out there.

Old March 15th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Oh, and another thing. I think that NOT using force-feedback is not
properly SIMULATING racing. Why should I feel the bumps in the track
and not you?

It's all a matter of perspective.

Old March 16th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Jeez! He must be really good at staying exactly on the games inferred
correct line, otherwise I guarantee you at 70% the tires would be good for 3
laps.

And if he's that good at staying on line, he don't need 70% anyway

At 70% you can cook dinner and race at the same time!

-Larry

oups.com...

Old March 16th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Generally, I find that the aids do a good job in allowing drivers to
set up the car (and the view) in such a way as to allow a comfortable
drive, but do not influence the cars so much that it will allow a
lesser driver to beat a better driver.

N2003 does such a good job with multiplayer that any shortcoming can be
overlooked by the sheer fun of being able to race against so many
people whenever you feel like connecting to the servers.

The minor points about aids, views, force-feedback, all that other
stuff are insignificant (in my opinion). The game is just a great,
great race simulation, and truly allows drivers that take the time to
set up their cars and practice to consistently beat lesser drivers. I
don't really care what view the guy is using when I am 0.2 seconds
behind them, because I know that if they don't hold their line I am
going to be able to pass them.

Interesting thread, and I would like to hear some other opinions about
this. I personally can't see having steering assist set very high, but
I do leave stability control on simply because I hate it when someone
gets loose, touches my fender and makes my car do a 360.

Good driving will make the roads safer AdvDriver Driving 9 February 24th 06 04:45 AM
A New Category of Sloth Scott en Aztlán Driving 137 December 21st 05 02:25 PM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
The increasing stress of driving Alexander Rogge Driving 17 July 14th 05 05:48 AM
Driving Issues Joe P. Driving 14 December 31st 04 11:33 PM