Some good news about the new Jetta

Old March 20th 05, 06:57 PM
Rob Guenther

Default Some good news about the new Jetta

Went to the dealer today for the special early launch of the new Jetta.

Found out some really good things about it:
Electrical system - made by the same company that makes the systems for
Toyota
There is a tunnel and a cutout already in this car - 4Motion is coming in ~2
years
The 5-cylinder sounds great, and is pretty powerfull to drive (according to
my friend there who is a salesman)
Everyone in the showroom thought that car looked great
It makes the old Jetta really look old and tired
Interior is even better finished, and quality seems higher

The bad...
The tail lights are almost American car like - only that outer round lamp
does anything... Running light is the full circle, low intensity... Brake is
full circle, full intensity.... Turn signal is outer half of the circle,
Full intensity + flashing - I prefer separate lights for each function, as
we have been used to with VW's.

I think the inner round lamp is going to be a rear fog light on Euro-spec
models.

Good diesel engines only are coming when our fuel gets better.

BUT.... there is a possibility of the dream car - a 150hp diesel with
4-Motion!

Old March 20th 05, 09:01 PM
Papa

Wonder if it is a good candidate for an EV conversion?

Old March 20th 05, 09:52 PM
Rob Guenther

EV?

I assume that's for the engine?
-The only added bit of info I got, was that the engine is incredibly
de-tuned.... at the seminar that my salesman took, they said WELL over 200hp
is possible with the 2.5L engine... He said tuners are going to have fun
with this car.
k.net...

Old March 20th 05, 10:28 PM
Kent

"Rob Guenther" > wrote in message

> EV?

Electric vehicle, most likely. Doesn't VW have a hybrid sedan in the works,
considering the impressive performance of the Accord Hybrid and the
popularity of the Toyota Prius?
--
Kent
1987 VW GTI 8V, original owner, 222,000+ miles

Old March 20th 05, 11:40 PM
D. Dub

"Rob Guenther" > wrote in message
>> BUT.... there is a possibility of the dream car - a 150hp diesel with

> 4-Motion!

drool drool drool

Old March 20th 05, 11:40 PM
Rob Guenther

I think they are toying with a hybrid diesel engine...

Old March 21st 05, 12:01 AM
Papa

EV = Electric Vehicle, and preferably a plug-in EV, not a hybrid.

Old March 21st 05, 12:31 AM
Kent

Why is plug-in better? Seems hybrid is a great interim solution to the
energy/pollution problem, without the need for additional infrastructure.
Smaller gasoline engines supplemented with electric boost, regenerative
braking, etc. And Honda's hybrid Accord is the fastest Accord. Why would VW
want to introduce a pure electric Jetta when the competition (and most car
buyers) have decided that hybrid is better?
--
Kent
1987 VW GTI 8V, original owner, 222,000+ miles

link.net...

Old March 21st 05, 01:02 AM
Rob Guenther

That kind of battery technology is decades away (to get around 600-1000kms
range and be able to "charge" the car in the same time as you can fill up a
gasoline car).... Plus we actually create more pollution making the power to
charge pure electrics then it does to run gasoline or diesel motors to make
the same power... Most of the world still relies on coal, or fuel burning
power plants... Until we have more nuclear power stations (which can only be
used to power the basic demand of a power grid... which is around 1/2 of the
maximum peak wattage), wind/tidal/solar/etc... there's not really much point
in electric cars.
link.net...

Old March 21st 05, 02:10 AM
Papa

Don't believe the automobile industry hype regarding the claim that "most
car buyers have decided that (the) hybrid is better" than the EVs. The
industry, after being leaned on by petroleum interests and our glorious US
government, dropped all US EVs around 2002. This was in spite of the fact
that many buyers had expressed a desire for such vehicles, wanted to buy
them, and had placed orders. Most of the industry never offered any EVs for
sale, other than golf carts or NEVs (very lightweight neighborhood EVs
incapable of speeds exceeding 25 MPH). Nearly all of them were leased. When
the industry got leaned on, EVERY manufacturer of leased EVs (GM, Ford,
Toyota, etc.) recalled these vehicles from the leases, refused to sell them
to the individuals leasing them, and GM even went as far as to actually
destroy all of their EVs. This has been widely reported, and if you do a
quick Google search, you will see the reports and the photographs of the
destroyed vehicles.

So the EV technology has existed for quite some time, and such vehicles have
been successfully mass-produced. Take a look at the specifications of the
2002 Toyota RAV4 EV, which is an SUV. Quoting Toyota, "With the looks and
style of our popular SUV, the RAV4 EV gives your company a roomy, practical
vehicle with a 827-lb. payload and over 125 miles on one charge. Charge it
overnight and your employees may forget they're driving an electric vehicle.
And with standard ABS, cassette stereo, air conditioning and a 78-mph top
speed, it's understandable how they might. But with lower overhead costs and
government incentives, you'll never forget." At least, for a short time
anyway, people were able to actually PURCHASE the RAV4 EV, and the
government provided incentives.

By the way, the Toyota Prius hybrid is undergoing research by a private
group (not Toyota) in California to make it a plug-in hybrid. Basically it
involves adding a second battery pack and a redesigned power management
system. With that capability, the Prius will be able to use all-electric
mode for local trips (not burning an ounce of gasoline), then recharge at
home overnight - yet still be able to make long distance trips using the ICE
(Internal Combustion Engine).