Audi 80 objects to Left Hand Turns!

Old March 16th 08, 03:32 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
DC[_2_]

Default Audi 80 objects to Left Hand Turns!

1989 Sedan, (2L 3A Motor) Only when fully warm LH corners result in severe
pinking, random missfiring.

Anyone with any suggestions.

Regards

Dave

Old March 16th 08, 05:54 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_3_]

DC wrote:
> 1989 Sedan, (2L 3A Motor) Only when fully warm LH corners result in severe
> pinking, random missfiring.
>
> Anyone with any suggestions.
>
> Regards
>
> Dave

Now here's a swag:
Bad motor mount letting engine lean to one side shorting bad spark plug
wires...
Old March 16th 08, 05:20 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

check the intake manifold boot for a crack
--
later,
dave

Old March 17th 08, 04:39 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
DC[_2_]

Thanks for the suggestions Tony and Dave. Having now spent an afternoon
"under the hood" I can report that the culprit was the connector on the
distributor body (I assume from the hall effect points?). The Distributor
mounted bit had come off and was dangling on its wires. Once the cable
insulation got hot and pliable, left hand turns caused the whole thing to
move and short out.

One for the weird book

Many thanks
Dave
et...

Old March 17th 08, 05:11 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_3_]

Thanks for reporting your results.

That is a fairly common problem on the I5s.

Good work with diagnosing the problem.

Old March 17th 08, 03:59 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ed Pirrero

On Mar 15, 8:32*pm, "DC" > wrote:
> 1989 Sedan, (2L 3A Motor) Only when fully warm LH corners result in severe
> pinking, random missfiring.
>
> Anyone with any suggestions.
>
> Regards
>
> Dave

I was going to suggest that your car was conservative.

[rimshot.wav]

E.P.
Old March 18th 08, 02:16 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
DC[_2_]

"Ed Pirrero" > wrote in message

I was going to suggest that your car was conservative.

E.P.

Well it is grey (grin)

DC