Accord 2003 Brake Vibration Problem No Dealer can fix!

Old August 14th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Accord 2003 Brake Vibration Problem No Dealer can fix!

I would like to know if anyone saw this brake problem before. I have a
Honda Accord 2003 and I changed disks & pads last years (OEM). I had
to change them again a month ago, and changed the two disks again last
week but this time they also change the oil brake. The problem is
always the same. At low speed or braking firmely at high speed,
everyting is fine when the brakes & Pads are new. But between 50 to 65
miles per hours when slightly braking, a vibration that even the
passenger can fell appear. It's always the same story, when the brake
are new, it vibrate only at that speed and 6 months later it will
vibrate also at low speed and a lot at hight speed. All the dealer are
saying that the caliper are fine. Could it still be the caliber?
Something else?

This thursday I will change the two calipers even if everybody is
saying they are fine. If it doesn't fix the problem, the car is for
sale next week and I'm going back to Toyota!

Thank you in advance for your help

Luc

Old August 15th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

When you are getting your brakes done, are they also being resurfaced?
Your rotors should never be resurfaced as the process removes material
from the rotors and will bring you back to the issue again in the
future.

If you are getting the pulsing problem even after you replaced the
rotors, then I would suspect that you are overheating your rotors by
the way you drive which in turn is causing the rotors to warp. You
will probably need to get rotors that can handle the harsh conditions
that your are exerting on to them. I'm not sure of which brands are
good but you will probably need to get slotted rotors. From what it
sounds like the issue has nothing to do with your calipers so don't
waste any money on replacing them.

Nick

Old August 15th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

wrote in news:1187129116.509300.287370
@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

> I would like to know if anyone saw this brake problem before. I have a
> Honda Accord 2003 and I changed disks & pads last years (OEM). I had
> to change them again a month ago, and changed the two disks again last
> week but this time they also change the oil brake. The problem is
> always the same. At low speed or braking firmely at high speed,
> everyting is fine when the brakes & Pads are new. But between 50 to 65
> miles per hours when slightly braking, a vibration that even the
> passenger can fell appear. It's always the same story, when the brake
> are new, it vibrate only at that speed and 6 months later it will
> vibrate also at low speed and a lot at hight speed. All the dealer are
> saying that the caliper are fine. Could it still be the caliber?
> Something else?
>
> This thursday I will change the two calipers even if everybody is
> saying they are fine. If it doesn't fix the problem, the car is for
> sale next week and I'm going back to Toyota!

Have your garage read this:
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf100326.htm

It's the very best brake vibration reference I've found yet.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old August 15th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

wrote:
> I would like to know if anyone saw this brake problem before. I have a
> Honda Accord 2003 and I changed disks & pads last years (OEM). I had
> to change them again a month ago, and changed the two disks again last
> week but this time they also change the oil brake. The problem is
> always the same. At low speed or braking firmely at high speed,
> everyting is fine when the brakes & Pads are new. But between 50 to 65
> miles per hours when slightly braking, a vibration that even the
> passenger can fell appear. It's always the same story, when the brake
> are new, it vibrate only at that speed and 6 months later it will
> vibrate also at low speed and a lot at hight speed. All the dealer are
> saying that the caliper are fine. Could it still be the caliber?
> Something else?
>
> This thursday I will change the two calipers even if everybody is
> saying they are fine. If it doesn't fix the problem, the car is for
> sale next week and I'm going back to Toyota!
>
> Thank you in advance for your help
>
> Luc

your wheel monkeys are using air tools when fastening the wheels. smear
a very little antiseize onto the hub face and torque the lug nuts with a
torque wrench in a 2 or more stage process, 1324, 1324. may not work
with the old disks if they've been too messed about, but the symptoms
you describe are classic.
Old August 15th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dick[_1_]

Of course we don't know how Luc drives, but I suspect you are right.
My 2003 Accord has over 60,000 miles and the pads currently measure
6mm front and 3mm rear (1.6mm is minimum.) Still have a way to go
before replacement, and absolutely no pulsations (original brakes and
tires.) I am continually amazed at how people drive these days. They
fly by me over the speed limit, then slam on the brakes just before
they get to the stop light. Many people don't realize that you should
attempt to drive without ever using the brakes. Of course that is
impossible, but every bit of horsepower that is burned off with the
brakes has to be made up by the engine thereby using more gasoline.
Took me a long time to understand that. And of course too much use of
the brakes overheats the rotors.

Dick

Old August 15th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dick[_1_]

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 19:37:15 -0700, jim beam

>> I would like to know if anyone saw this brake problem before. I have a
>> Honda Accord 2003 and I changed disks & pads last years (OEM). I had
>> to change them again a month ago, and changed the two disks again last
>> week but this time they also change the oil brake. The problem is
>> always the same. At low speed or braking firmely at high speed,
>> everyting is fine when the brakes & Pads are new. But between 50 to 65
>> miles per hours when slightly braking, a vibration that even the
>> passenger can fell appear. It's always the same story, when the brake
>> are new, it vibrate only at that speed and 6 months later it will
>> vibrate also at low speed and a lot at hight speed. All the dealer are
>> saying that the caliper are fine. Could it still be the caliber?
>> Something else?
>>
>> This thursday I will change the two calipers even if everybody is
>> saying they are fine. If it doesn't fix the problem, the car is for
>> sale next week and I'm going back to Toyota!
>>
>> Thank you in advance for your help
>>
>> Luc
>>

>your wheel monkeys are using air tools when fastening the wheels. smear
>a very little antiseize onto the hub face and torque the lug nuts with a
>torque wrench in a 2 or more stage process, 1324, 1324. may not work
>with the old disks if they've been too messed about, but the symptoms
>you describe are classic.

Jeep Grand Cherokees seem to be particularly susceptible to this.
Whenever I have our Jeep's wheels changed, I stand right there and
make sure they finish with a hand torque wrench.

Dick

Old August 15th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
E Meyer

On 8/14/07 5:05 PM, in article
, "
> wrote:

> I would like to know if anyone saw this brake problem before. I have a
> Honda Accord 2003 and I changed disks & pads last years (OEM). I had
> to change them again a month ago, and changed the two disks again last
> week but this time they also change the oil brake. The problem is
> always the same. At low speed or braking firmely at high speed,
> everyting is fine when the brakes & Pads are new. But between 50 to 65
> miles per hours when slightly braking, a vibration that even the
> passenger can fell appear. It's always the same story, when the brake
> are new, it vibrate only at that speed and 6 months later it will
> vibrate also at low speed and a lot at hight speed. All the dealer are
> saying that the caliper are fine. Could it still be the caliber?
> Something else?
>
> This thursday I will change the two calipers even if everybody is
> saying they are fine. If it doesn't fix the problem, the car is for
> sale next week and I'm going back to Toyota!
>
> Thank you in advance for your help
>
> Luc

When my '00 TL did this, the problem turned out to be caused by a bad upper
ball joint. The symptom was very similar to a sticking caliper with the
left front wheel being noticeably hotter to the touch compared to the other
side after a few highway miles. If the likely brake system fixes don't
correct the problem, get the whole front suspension checked out.