Japanese cars are the best

Old March 1st 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Japanese cars are the best

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17385761/

Japanese vehicle brands continue to rule the roost when it comes to
car reliability, according to the latest annual survey from Consumer
Reports... Toyota, Honda, Scion, Acura and Lexus took the top five
places, in order, in the Consumer Reports list of the 36 most reliable
car brands for 2007. Ford's Mercury brand was the highest-placed U.S.
nameplate, ranking 10th, while General Motors' best-ranking brand was
GMC, which came in at 14th on the list. Chrysler highest ranking was
for its Dodge brand, which was placed 22nd on the list... The average
10-year-old Toyota or Honda has the same, or fewer, problems than a 4
or 5-year-old car from any of the U.S. automakers, or Volkswagen, he
said... Mercedes-Benz, in particular, has seen its reliability ranking
decline sharply - this year, the German luxury brand placed last in
the reliability list of 36 automobile brands, its reliability level
123 percent below the average for the whole industry, said Paul.

Old March 1st 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Edward Strauss

> wrote:
> Source:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17385761/

> Japanese vehicle brands continue to rule the roost when it comes to
> car reliability, according to the latest annual survey from Consumer
> Reports... Toyota, Honda, Scion, Acura and Lexus took the top five
> places, in order, in the Consumer Reports list of the 36 most reliable
> car brands for 2007. Ford's Mercury brand was the highest-placed U.S.
> nameplate, ranking 10th, while General Motors' best-ranking brand was
> GMC, which came in at 14th on the list. Chrysler highest ranking was
> for its Dodge brand, which was placed 22nd on the list... The average
> 10-year-old Toyota or Honda has the same, or fewer, problems than a 4
> or 5-year-old car from any of the U.S. automakers, or Volkswagen, he
> said... Mercedes-Benz, in particular, has seen its reliability ranking
> decline sharply - this year, the German luxury brand placed last in
> the reliability list of 36 automobile brands, its reliability level
> 123 percent below the average for the whole industry, said Paul.

So people should buy vehicles based Consumer Reports? Maybe they can tell you what to eat
next...
Old March 1st 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
blazerman

and we should believe everything we read? jp ps pretty soon all that
will be left will be foreign but we'll have fast food jobs(no offense
meant)

Old March 1st 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"blazerman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> and we should believe everything we read? jp ps pretty soon all that
> will be left will be foreign but we'll have fast food jobs(no offense
> meant)

Seriously, unless GM, Ford and Chrysler rise to the occasion, their
condition will continue to deteriorate. And the workers stand to lose
good jobs because of issues and attitudes largely beyond their control.

I find GM's attitude particularly offensive.

Whether the quality is THAT far different from the Asian producers,
I cannot say. It is the perception that it is true that makes the Camry
the best selling sedan in the USA, I think.

Old March 1st 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
bob zee

On Mar 1, 7:25 am, "
> wrote:
> Source:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17385761/
>
> Japanese vehicle brands continue to rule the roost when it comes to
> car reliability

I have a 2004 Honda Accord Coupe with 59,000 miles. It has NOT been
to the dealership, repairshop, etc for anything. Maybe because I do
all of my own preventative maintenance, the dealership can't sabotage
me!

This car has been as reliable as a brick.

bob z.

Old March 1st 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_1_]

"E Meyer" > wrote in message

> I have found their reliability ratings to be dead on with every car
> I have
> owned in the past 20 years, both good and bad.

Depends what you mean by "dead-on." They gave Cressidas like one I
owned high marks - mine was an unreliable piece of crap not fit to
haul pigs. They gave the 1986 Sable I owned a good review but the
little circles they like to show indicated it was unreliable. I only
drove mine 140k miles and sold it to a friend who drove it almost
another 100k before stuffing it into a tree - I suppose that makes it
unreliable. They give the Nissan Frontier I bought last year a check
mark, but it has been back to the dealer more times already than the
last 3 Fords I owned combined. They don't recommend a Ford Mustang,
but my son's has been perfect - no problems at all. They gush all over
the 2007 RAV4, but I find my SO's new 2007 RAV4 to be merely OK -
certainly nothing special - noisy at highway speed, mediocre gas
mileage, strangely arranged controls, uncomfortable seats, but at
least after 5 months it has been reliable (no better than my Son's
Mustang though, despite costing $6k more).

For non-car items, I find CR's recommendations to be almost 180
degrees opposite from my experiences. In his latter years, my Father
put a great deal of faith in the CR recommendations. I can't think of
one appliance he bought based on their recommendations that worked out
well.

Still I am a subscriber. I like to read other people's opinions, even
if I don't find them credible all the time. But I never forget, CR is
only printing their opinions. And the often touted auto survey is
still just a poorly organized opinion survey. It is sort of like the
Republicans surveying just Republicans and claiming that GWB's
approval rating is rising.....

Ed

Old March 1st 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_1_]

"bob zee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 1, 7:25 am, "
> > wrote:
>> Source:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17385761/
>>
>> Japanese vehicle brands continue to rule the roost when it comes to
>> car reliability

> I have a 2004 Honda Accord Coupe with 59,000 miles. It has NOT been
> to the dealership, repairshop, etc for anything. Maybe because I do
> all of my own preventative maintenance, the dealership can't
> sabotage
> me!
>
> This car has been as reliable as a brick.

And for some reason you think this is unusual? My parents have owned
nothing but Fords for the last 50 years. They haven't taken one back
to the dealer for a repair since 1980. In fact I can't remember one
needing any sort of repair since 2000. The last repair I can recall
was the power seat base on my Mother's 1992 Grand Marquis, and that
was when the car was 7 years old after my Mom jammed an umbrella in
the seat track.

Ed

Old March 1st 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> And for some reason you think this is unusual? My parents have owned
> nothing but Fords for the last 50 years. They haven't taken one back
> to the dealer for a repair since 1980. In fact I can't remember one
> needing any sort of repair since 2000.

My last Ford was in 1968. It was a piece of ****. I tried to buy a
Thunderbird in 1990 (based
on looks and presumption of quality, ride,etc) but after test driving a half
dozen of them, came
to the conclusion they were all pieces of ****.

No more Fords for me, in the foreseeable future.

I have had worse luck with GM than with Fords, but at least they sit and
drive nicely,
between failures.

Old March 1st 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

wrote:

> Source:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17385761/

> Japanese vehicle brands continue to rule the roost

Not in MY garage!