Reckless driving - biggest crime problem in america

Old January 3rd 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Reckless driving - biggest crime problem in america

On 31 Dec 2005 14:22:18 -0800, "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend"
> wrote:

>42,000 americans killed every year thanks to the speeders and DUIs and
>red light runners and the many other highway terrorists and psychopaths
>. And hundreds of thousands of americans maimed every year. And tens
>of billions of $ of property damage and medical bills. Name another
>crime problem even close.

How about these numbers from
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5114a2.htm

During 1995--1999, a total of 442,398 persons in the United States
died prematurely each year as a result of smoking. This number, which
is higher than previous SAM estimates (1), reflects the inclusion of
35,053 secondhand smoking-attributable heart disease deaths and
slightly higher smoking-related RRs for cancers, respiratory diseases,
and infant conditions.

I wonder how many people in MADD and simular organizations are
smokers?

Old January 3rd 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 13:46:08 -0500, Rob > wrote:

>On 31 Dec 2005 14:22:18 -0800, "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend"
> wrote:
>
>>42,000 americans killed every year thanks to the speeders and DUIs and
>>red light runners and the many other highway terrorists and psychopaths
>>. And hundreds of thousands of americans maimed every year. And tens
>>of billions of $ of property damage and medical bills. Name another
>>crime problem even close.

>How about these numbers from
>http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5114a2.htm
>
>During 1995--1999, a total of 442,398 persons in the United States
>died prematurely each year as a result of smoking. This number, which
>is higher than previous SAM estimates (1), reflects the inclusion of
>35,053 secondhand smoking-attributable heart disease deaths and
>slightly higher smoking-related RRs for cancers, respiratory diseases,
>and infant conditions.

That's a bad analogy. Smokers pretty much hurt only themselves while
criminal drivers kill and maim innocent people. Reckless drivers
should be compared to terrorists.
Old January 3rd 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:03:03 GMT, laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE
> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 13:46:08 -0500, Rob > wrote:
>
>>On 31 Dec 2005 14:22:18 -0800, "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend"
> wrote:
>>
>>>42,000 americans killed every year thanks to the speeders and DUIs and
>>>red light runners and the many other highway terrorists and psychopaths
>>>. And hundreds of thousands of americans maimed every year. And tens
>>>of billions of $ of property damage and medical bills. Name another
>>>crime problem even close.

>>How about these numbers from
>>http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5114a2.htm
>>
>>During 1995--1999, a total of 442,398 persons in the United States
>>died prematurely each year as a result of smoking. This number, which
>>is higher than previous SAM estimates (1), reflects the inclusion of
>>35,053 secondhand smoking-attributable heart disease deaths and
>>slightly higher smoking-related RRs for cancers, respiratory diseases,
>>and infant conditions.
>>

>That's a bad analogy. Smokers pretty much hurt only themselves while
>criminal drivers kill and maim innocent people. Reckless drivers
>should be compared to terrorists.

I make a living playing in a band and unfortunately I live in a state
where smoking is not banned in Bars. From my own experience I know
second hand smoke is nasty and I have no doubts it's a real threat. I
don't think that is a made up statistic in the link above. Sometimes
it burns my eyes and it definitely effects my lungs and throat. I
can't just quit my work so I'm stuck. You have to take what you can
get in my line of work. I can only imagine what it is like for the
full time employees. Sometimes I have to go outside during my breaks
and get some fresh air. Also, smokers don't just hurt themselves when
the burden of a smoking related illness takes it's toll on their
family and it's resources. You also have to take into account the
strain their smoking related illnesses put on the Healthcare system.