Sim Racing Software Pricing

Old August 29th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Default Sim Racing Software Pricing

We'll just have to disagree on that I guess

-Larry

. ..

Old August 29th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Steve Blankenship[_1_]

"David G Fisher" > wrote in message
. ..

> "jason moyer" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Online Racer wrote:
>>
>>> If you
>>> look at Iracings propaganda you will see that they are at the very least
>>> using the same multi player code.

>> How is that a bad thing? It's still the best of anything I've played
>> (not that rFactor or LFS have bad netcode).
>>
>> If you want to hate iRacing for some uninformed political reasons go
>> ahead, but any discussion on the quality of the product itself is
>> speculation.

> What are you and Mike smoking tonight? :-)
>
> I expect they will improve their net code, but their old multi code
> doesn't compare to rFactor. If you took a poll....
> --
> David G Fisher

Your preferences are well documented here David. ;-) And fine too, of
course. But do share with us your knowledge of iRacing's current physics
and multiplayer code. I'm sure everyone would love to hear the scoop!

As for the mentioned old NR2003 multi code, aside from jittering cars when
someone had a sketchy connection, what else was the problem and specifically
how does rF improve on it? The jittering cars thing was a function of
Papy's choice of using more of the raw data coming from the connected
players rather than a more smoothed and filtered version like rF does. I
think both have their shortcomings; one leaves you with warp crashes (which
actually still happen in both, though admittedly much less in rF) and having
to leave more space between cars while racing, while the other lets you bump
with enough impunity to make racing a contact sport. Not only that, it
often has the online cars you're racing against floating around like sprites
at times, which I find annoying. With good connections you can bump in
NR2003, but you think twice about it. Heck, for that matter you could rub
doors pretty convincingly in Nascar Heat so that's nothing new.

Not bashing rF here mind you; I have it and enjoy it, as I do GTL (which I
generally prefer to rF) and look forward to GTR2. ISI are not missing out
on any of my money. ;-) I just don't think anyone's advanced the state of
the racing sim art that far, if at all in an overall sense, since NR2003.
nKPro at least promised to, but lies in bug-limbo for now; too bad since it
really is cutting edge in a number of ways. Despite it's problems, it
really is a remarkable achievement considering how few were involved in
developing it - Stefano is one seriously talented dude.

While we're here in the wayback machine talking Papy vs Now, for my money no
one's really beaten VROC for race lobby functionality. And we know where
THAT leaves us....!

Cheers,

SB

Old August 29th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
==--==

That's fair enough Larry

Just to expand a little though.....
I had my fill of wheel-touch "lift off launches" that sent you 1,000 feet in
the air.
I had my fill of "disco's" specially league races where I was running top 3
near end of race.
And.. no that rFactor is any different... but I hated metting for the league
races only to find out the vroc / igor was down!

IMHO - rFactor does not present these problems at all "for me". *albeit
racecaster has been down 3 times that I remember over the last year.

I will always love gpl --- but not it's net-code.

I do agree vroc functionality though - it's great.

Cheers
==--==

Old August 30th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer

==--== wrote:

> GPL was great for it's TIME
> rFactor netcode is miles above it though. 7 years of gpl tells that for
> fact.

GPL's netcode is horrible compared to the sims we're actually
discussing.

Dave, I really don't think I could argue convincingly one way or
another on whether n2003 has better netcode than rFactor. Which is
more of a complement than I feel comfortable giving an ISI product.

BTW, since you're fairly knowledgable about RF, is there any way to
adjust the tire skid/scrub sounds a'la the menu sliders that are in
GTR/GTL/GTR2? I can't find a way in the menu or the PLR file, but I
might be overlooking something. I'd like to get the sound suited to my
tastes before the 79 mod comes out.

Old August 30th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer

Steve Blankenship wrote:

> Not bashing rF here mind you; I have it and enjoy it, as I do GTL (which I
> generally prefer to rF) and look forward to GTR2.

I haven't done multi in GTL, but the driving experience is absolutely
incredible. The Blimey! boys have a rare talent when it comes to
getting good results from ISI's physics code.

Old August 30th 06, 10:32 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

jason moyer wrote:
> Steve Blankenship wrote:
>
>> Not bashing rF here mind you; I have it and enjoy it, as I do GTL (which I
>> generally prefer to rF) and look forward to GTR2.

> I haven't done multi in GTL, but the driving experience is absolutely
> incredible. The Blimey! boys have a rare talent when it comes to
> getting good results from ISI's physics code.

I would have agreed with you up until the '79 mod demo for rFactor. It
seems to have taken an age for rFactor's open approach to bare fruit but
this really feels so superior to anything released for rFactor thus far
it is hard to believe it is from the same sim engine.

Going back to GTL now feels a little off. A bit like the GPL days when
every other new sim seemed ok but it was back to GPL after a short while.

ISI deserve credit for continually improving the engine and the better
modders certainly seem to now know how to get the best from it.

I just hope we get some form of consolidation around the better mods
some time soon, and features like variable weather some time soon.

Cheers
Tony
Old September 1st 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David G Fisher

"jason moyer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> ==--== wrote:
>
>> GPL was great for it's TIME
>> rFactor netcode is miles above it though. 7 years of gpl tells that for
>> fact.

> GPL's netcode is horrible compared to the sims we're actually
> discussing.
>
> Dave, I really don't think I could argue convincingly one way or
> another on whether n2003 has better netcode than rFactor. Which is
> more of a complement than I feel comfortable giving an ISI product.
>
> BTW, since you're fairly knowledgable about RF, is there any way to
> adjust the tire skid/scrub sounds a'la the menu sliders that are in
> GTR/GTL/GTR2? I can't find a way in the menu or the PLR file, but I
> might be overlooking something. I'd like to get the sound suited to my
> tastes before the 79 mod comes out.

Sorry, missed this post. All I've done with the sound is to lower my engine
sound slider so I could hear the tire sounds better. I actually run with the
sound as low as possible, so I'm not the guy to ask about sound settings.
I've always kept the volume low in every sim. Noise bothers me, unless I've
plugged in my Gibson. :-)

If I were you I'd ask your question at RSC.

--
David G Fisher

Old September 8th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Didn't know you were into Guitars, Dave. So am I.

Unfortunately the term "Noise" is quite accurate for me

Good equipment. No skilz

-Larry

"David G Fisher" > wrote in message

> Sorry, missed this post. All I've done with the sound is to lower my
> engine sound slider so I could hear the tire sounds better. I actually run
> with the sound as low as possible, so I'm not the guy to ask about sound
> settings. I've always kept the volume low in every sim. Noise bothers me,
> unless I've plugged in my Gibson. :-)
>
> If I were you I'd ask your question at RSC.
>

> --
> David G Fisher

The Deadly World of Street Racing [email protected] Driving 6 July 18th 06 06:58 AM
BOOK - ROAD RACING [email protected] Technology 1 April 25th 06 03:56 PM
AASCRA/Panoz Racing Leagues Online-Racer Simulators 0 April 3rd 06 01:27 PM
GTP Lives!!! Steve Smith Simulators 20 February 14th 05 04:59 AM
Mustang Returns to Sports Car Racing Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 0 January 29th 05 05:39 PM