Sim Racing Software Pricing

Old August 28th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer

Default Sim Racing Software Pricing

Online Racer wrote:

> If you
> look at Iracings propaganda you will see that they are at the very least
> using the same multi player code.

How is that a bad thing? It's still the best of anything I've played
(not that rFactor or LFS have bad netcode).

If you want to hate iRacing for some uninformed political reasons go
ahead, but any discussion on the quality of the product itself is
speculation.

Old August 28th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David G Fisher

"jason moyer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Online Racer wrote:
>
>> If you
>> look at Iracings propaganda you will see that they are at the very least
>> using the same multi player code.

> How is that a bad thing? It's still the best of anything I've played
> (not that rFactor or LFS have bad netcode).
>
> If you want to hate iRacing for some uninformed political reasons go
> ahead, but any discussion on the quality of the product itself is
> speculation.

What are you and Mike smoking tonight? :-)

I expect they will improve their net code, but their old multi code doesn't
compare to rFactor. If you took a poll....

--
David G Fisher

Old August 28th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes[_1_]

"David G Fisher" > wrote in message
. ..

> I expect they will improve their net code, but their old multi code
> doesn't compare to rFactor. If you took a poll....

In what ways - features, functionality or both?

Old August 28th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mike Horton

I'll admit that I haven't had a lot of experience with rFactor multi. The
few times that I've had time to fire it up and attempt online have been
dismal though. Mainly finding a race that I could actually join because I
didn't have this mod or that track.

Old August 28th 06, 11:19 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

Mike Horton wrote:
> I'll admit that I haven't had a lot of experience with rFactor multi. The
> few times that I've had time to fire it up and attempt online have been
> dismal though. Mainly finding a race that I could actually join because I
> didn't have this mod or that track.

That is a somewhat different issue though. The Papy on line code was
great for its time and it has taken a remarkable amount of time for
others to catch up. However, the warp factor required clean racing to
have a different approach than real racing as driving close could end up
in a warp crash. rFactor pretty much eliminates that and for saloons
allows a degree of contact that is pretty realistic in effect, such that
a small error and resulting tap doesn't end up with a car spiralling
over a barrier.

GT Legends is less capable of handling larger numbers but also allows
for some door handle rubbing as befits the series.

rFactor seems pretty capable of handling large grids although I believe
it is more CPU intensive than NR2003.

Hopefully rFactor will get its killer mods (such as the 79 mod) which
will consolidate the complexity of joining races and give us some
greater stability.

Before the recent mods for rfactor I had sidelined it, but now it is
looking really strong with some great updates from ISI and the
aforementioned community mods.

It is hard to be tough on mods provided for free, but some of the early
rFactor mods did not do it justice, whilst the recent development seem
to be untapping the potential and I hope we end up with just a few
rising to to the top and not being subject to constant revisions and
third party physics patches.

Cheers
Tony
Old August 28th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Price has NOT been the reason for any Sim failure.

It's always other reasons.

-Larry

k...

Old August 28th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Interesting! Where did you hear this? I'd like to read up on it.

-Larry

. com...

Old August 28th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

So, the best MP code that's ever been written is somehow invalidated because
it's a few years old?

Logical. NOT. (Pun intended )

-Larry

Old August 28th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David G Fisher

Larry, come one. There's no way in hell it's the best multi code. It was,
but it's not even close now.

--
David G Fisher

Old August 28th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
==--==

Ditto David

Honestly.. I can't even understadn the argument here. There isn't one.
GPL was great for it's TIME
rFactor netcode is miles above it though. 7 years of gpl tells that for
fact.
endo

"David G Fisher" > wrote in message
. ..
> Larry, come one. There's no way in hell it's the best multi code. It was,
> but it's not even close now.
>

> --
> David G Fisher
>

> "Larry" > wrote in message
>> So, the best MP code that's ever been written is somehow invalidated
>> because it's a few years old?
>>
>> Logical. NOT. (Pun intended )
>>
>> -Larry
>>
>> "Online Racer" > wrote in message
>> t...
>>
>>> Except that rF has a new physics engine and multi player code. If you
>>> look at Iracings propaganda you will see that they are at the very least
>>> using the same multi player code.

The Deadly World of Street Racing [email protected] Driving 6 July 18th 06 06:58 AM
BOOK - ROAD RACING [email protected] Technology 1 April 25th 06 03:56 PM
AASCRA/Panoz Racing Leagues Online-Racer Simulators 0 April 3rd 06 01:27 PM
GTP Lives!!! Steve Smith Simulators 20 February 14th 05 04:59 AM
Mustang Returns to Sports Car Racing Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 0 January 29th 05 05:39 PM