removing paint from headlights

Old February 2nd 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default removing paint from headlights

I got a used car with its headlights partially painted over, as if for
decoration. I'd like to remove the paint, but using a solvent like
acetone or nail polish remover scuffs up the headlight plastic
underneath the paint.

Any suggestions on how to remove paint from plastic, or how to polish
up the headlights after exposure to solvents?

I appreciate the help!

Old February 2nd 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I got a used car with its headlights partially painted over, as if for
> decoration. I'd like to remove the paint, but using a solvent like
> acetone or nail polish remover scuffs up the headlight plastic
> underneath the paint.
>
> Any suggestions on how to remove paint from plastic, or how to polish
> up the headlights after exposure to solvents?
>
> I appreciate the help!

Well, for damn sure, if those headlight lenses are "plastic", DO NOT USE
ACETONE
OR NAIL POLISH REMOVE.

You will likely destroy them with crazing or surface cracking.

There are lots of things to try first. What sort of paint was used? Oil base
or water based emulsion?

Old February 2nd 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Feb 2, 2:52 pm, > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > I got a used car with its headlights partially painted over, as if for
> > decoration. I'd like to remove the paint, but using a solvent like
> > acetone or nail polish remover scuffs up the headlight plastic

Thanks for the reply - but I don't know what kind of paint it is. It
looks like the same kind as used on the body, if that tells you
anything.

Old February 2nd 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Feb 2, 4:56 pm, wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2:52 pm, > wrote:> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...

> > > I got a used car with its headlights partially painted over, as if for
> > > decoration. I'd like to remove the paint, but using a solvent like
> > > acetone or nail polish remover scuffs up the headlight plastic

> Thanks for the reply - but I don't know what kind of paint it is. It
> looks like the same kind as used on the body, if that tells you
> anything.
>
> > > underneath the paint.

> > > Any suggestions on how to remove paint from plastic, or how to polish
> > > up the headlights after exposure to solvents?

> > > I appreciate the help!

> > Well, for damn sure, if those headlight lenses are "plastic", DO NOT USE
> > ACETONE
> > OR NAIL POLISH REMOVE.

> > You will likely destroy them with crazing or surface cracking.

> > There are lots of things to try first. What sort of paint was used? Oil base
> > or water based emulsion?

Try gently rubbing with one of those plastic scrubbers for dishes.

If the headlight covers are plastic and an enamel or laquer was used I
would expect them to be trash.

Old February 2nd 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Feb 2, 5:38 pm, wrote:
> I got a used car with its headlights partially painted over, as if for
> decoration. I'd like to remove the paint, but using a solvent like
> acetone or nail polish remover scuffs up the headlight plastic
> underneath the paint.
>
> Any suggestions on how to remove paint from plastic, or how to polish
> up the headlights after exposure to solvents?
>
> I appreciate the help!

You may need to sand with 500 grit and then follow up with a buffing
wheel.

Dave

Old February 2nd 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> > Well, for damn sure, if those headlight lenses are "plastic", DO NOT USE
> > ACETONE
> > OR NAIL POLISH REMOVE.
> >
> > You will likely destroy them with crazing or surface cracking.
> >
> > There are lots of things to try first. What sort of paint was used? Oil

base
> > or water based emulsion?

Okay, whatever sort of paint you have, you need to soften it and try
scrubbing
with a sponge or a nonabrasive type cleaning medium first.

Lets assume it is normal body paint. If you use acetone, you are likely to
destroy
the lens. Try something really mild like petroleum jelly, or mineral oil,
or maybe even
one of those citrus cleaners that are popular now. Put them on and let them
stand
for a long period of time. If they are oil soluble, they may soften the
paint and make
it easier to get off.

Acetone or nail polish remover can be a strong solvent but may be too harsh.

Use patience.

If you are unlucky, the oil based paint has melted and fused into the
headlight lens.
In that case, little remains but replacement.

Old February 2nd 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel

wrote:
> On Feb 2, 5:38 pm, wrote:
>
>>I got a used car with its headlights partially painted over, as if for
>>decoration. I'd like to remove the paint, but using a solvent like
>>acetone or nail polish remover scuffs up the headlight plastic
>>underneath the paint.
>>
>>Any suggestions on how to remove paint from plastic, or how to polish
>>up the headlights after exposure to solvents?
>>
>>I appreciate the help!

> You may need to sand with 500 grit and then follow up with a buffing
> wheel.
>
> Dave

I agree. I would probably try scraping the paint off with a razor blade
first, but it takes a special touch as the paint is likely very close in
hardness to the plastic. What you're counting on here is that the
plastic was not well prepped so the paint and lens haven't actually
"become one."

I suspect that Dave's advice will be the eventual "solution" to this
problem. Be aware that this will remove any UV protective coating on
your headlights, so this will probably become regular maintenance every
couple years; if the headlights are not in great shape now it may be
easier just to buy new ones.

good luck

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old February 3rd 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
CraigFL

I wouldn't use a razor blade but would try scraping with a piece of hard
plastic like polystyrene-- the clear plastic like they use for those
little drawer systems.

--
CraigFL
CraigFL's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul....php?userid=28

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old February 4th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Feb 2, 4:38 pm, wrote:
> I got a used car with its headlights partially painted over, as if for
> decoration. I'd like to remove the paint, but using a solvent like
> acetone or nail polish remover scuffs up the headlight plastic
> underneath the paint.
>
> Any suggestions on how to remove paint from plastic, or how to polish
> up the headlights after exposure to solvents?
>
> I appreciate the help!

Try Goof Off on a small portion over in one corner. I've never tried
it with automotive paint but it works great on a most paints. You
might even have some luck with plain old windex. I have had some
success using it to remove over spray.
For what it's worth before you get too enthusiastic about scraping ,
sanding or using strong solvents. Price the cost of replacements
first. After you find out how much it will cost to replace the lenses
a little paint might not bother you as much.
Good Luck!