Block Cell Phones In Theaters?

Old December 20th 05, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Block Cell Phones In Theaters?

> I just go later. "Did you miss the ENTIRE Twenty? If not, try to
> make it to the theatre a little later next time".

Y'all can have your "The Twenty"; I'm not playing their game. My DVR skips
commercials so I don't see them at home; I damn sure am not about to go pay
to see some.

What disgusted me more were the sheeple stuffing their faces with $10
popcorn and excitedly watching these things instead of yelling "turn this
crap off and start the movie!"

Old December 20th 05, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> I suppose that works, but I find it highly offensive when these
> arrogant assholes pollute the movie I paid for with their advertising
> bull****. Maybe if DVDs were free then unskippable ads would be
> acceptable; however, all I want to do when I encounter a disc like
> this is make a decrypted copy available on the Internet somewhere.

If you watch DVDs on your computer, I recommend using Media Player
Classic. You can right click and go directly to the title menu
bypassing any of the ads or copyright notices.
Old December 20th 05, 05:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

:

>> On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:33:31 -0500, necromancer
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Dave Head, > was motivated to say this in
>>>rec.autos.driving on Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:38:28 GMT:
>>>

>>>The main reason I stay out of theatres is the blatent price gouging
>>>they do once you get into the theater at the concession stand. That
>>>and that (IMO) most movies are either trailer trash garbage or leftist
>>>propaganda. Idiots on cellphones is usually not a consideration since
>>>I'm not in he theater anyways. For the few and far between movie worth
>>>my time, there is always PPV or DVD.

>> Hmmm... leftist propaganda I think I'd notice.
>>
>> The last big leftist propaganda that I recall was the blatant bashing
>> of the NRA and therefore the 2nd Amendment in the Lethal Weapon
>> series,

>You forget Michael Moore's movies.

Yeah, I did, but if I'd have remembered it, I'd have discounted it since its a
blatant left-wing documentary, rather than an entertainment piece containing
left-speak embedded chatter as I expected we were actually talking about.

>(although I can understand wanting to forget about them...8-) )

Oh, yeah... <G>

Dave Head
Old December 20th 05, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

> bands. Expensive, though. It would be cheaper simply to replace a
> few of their employees with bouncer types, so they could actually
> credibly enforce the no-cell rule.

Even better would be to stop the movie and shine a spot on the perp, telling
them over the PA to leave the theater with his cell phone immediately.
They'd have to do this maybe twice ever.

Old December 20th 05, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Dave Head wrote:
><snip>

>>>Interesting.
>>>
>>>If they're jamming, they are playing with fire. The FCC _will_ go after them
>>>and the fines _start_ at $10,000.
>>>

>>Since it is fairly common practice I have to think there is an
>>exception for hospitals.

> Trust me, there are _no_ exceptions - not even for the military within our
> borders. The FCC has a real "thing" for this law.
>
> Dave Head

While I'm not familiar with US hospitals or US law, I'd imagine that
mobile phone signals interfering with hospital equipment could be life
threatening to some patients. Surely this would be grounds for an
exception of some sort?

The last time I was in a hospital was 6 years ago, and I bought my first
mobile phone 5 years ago, so I don't know what the go is with mobile
phone reception in Australian hospitals.
Old December 20th 05, 08:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

JohnH wrote:

>>I just go later. "Did you miss the ENTIRE Twenty? If not, try to
>>make it to the theatre a little later next time".

> Y'all can have your "The Twenty"; I'm not playing their game. My DVR skips
> commercials so I don't see them at home;

Why bother with that. Not only do I use internet for browsing, but I
also use it as a substitute for cable/satellite. Download what you
want, watch, and delete. It's that simple.

As for the theater, I haven't gone there since the Revenge of Sith
premiered.

> I damn sure am not about to go pay to see some.

And I don't see the need to pay for cable and/or satellite subscription
fees when most of the channels I get are pretty much crap.
Old December 20th 05, 10:40 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:53:55 +1100, Sir Lex > wrote:

>Dave Head wrote:
>><snip>

>>>Since it is fairly common practice I have to think there is an
>>>exception for hospitals.

>> Trust me, there are _no_ exceptions - not even for the military within our
>> borders. The FCC has a real "thing" for this law.
>>
>> Dave Head
>>

>While I'm not familiar with US hospitals or US law, I'd imagine that
>mobile phone signals interfering with hospital equipment could be life
>threatening to some patients. Surely this would be grounds for an
>exception of some sort?

If the medical equipment were interfered with by a 0.4 watt signal from a cell
phone, then it would have to be really badly designed medical equipment.

Plus, jamming the receiver of the cell phone won't stop the transmitter from
_trying_ to talk to the tower, which means it could _still_ interfere with the

Old December 20th 05, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Dave Head > wrote in
:

> On 19 Dec 2005 13:28:03 GMT, Jim Yanik > wrote:
>
>>Dave Head > wrote in
m:

>>> On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:33:31 -0500, necromancer

>>> Hmmm... leftist propaganda I think I'd notice.
>>>
>>> The last big leftist propaganda that I recall was the blatant
>>> bashing of the NRA and therefore the 2nd Amendment in the Lethal
>>> Weapon series,

>>You forget Michael Moore's movies.

> Yeah, I did, but if I'd have remembered it, I'd have discounted it
> since its a blatant left-wing documentary,

Hardly a documentary.
He assembled footage out of context,to imply what he wanted to.
"Agit-prop" suits best,IMO.

> rather than an
> entertainment piece containing left-speak embedded chatter as I
> expected we were actually talking about.

His other movies are agit-prop,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old December 20th 05, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:00:56 GMT, Arif Khokar >
wrote:

>JohnH wrote:
>
>>>I just go later. "Did you miss the ENTIRE Twenty? If not, try to
>>>make it to the theatre a little later next time".

>> Y'all can have your "The Twenty"; I'm not playing their game. My DVR skips
>> commercials so I don't see them at home;

>Why bother with that. Not only do I use internet for browsing, but I
>also use it as a substitute for cable/satellite. Download what you
>want, watch, and delete. It's that simple.

Really? Where can I download the season finale of Survivor? Or this
morning's edition of the KTLA Morning News (which is pretty much the
only TV show I watch with any regularity)?

Really, it's not that simple at all.

Old December 20th 05, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:00:56 GMT, Arif Khokar >
> wrote:

> >Why bother with that. Not only do I use internet for browsing, but I
> >also use it as a substitute for cable/satellite. Download what you
> >want, watch, and delete. It's that simple.

> Really? Where can I download the season finale of Survivor?

I'd say there's a good chance one of the binary groups has a copy of
it.

> Or this morning's edition of the KTLA Morning News

That probably won't be found. I just read the news off of websites
like cnn's, bbc's, google's etc. But I know you can get a copy of the
Daily Show's broadcast every night it comes on.

> Really, it's not that simple at all.

Really, it is. If you only watch two shows, then why pay what ever you
pay per month for the remaining channels that you don't watch
regularly, if at all?

If cable and satellite companies would allow me to choose the
individual channels I receive, at a reasonable price (no, I don't want
TBN and yes I do want Boom without having to pay extra), then I'd be
much more likely to subscribe. For now, I just don't waste money on
cable or satellite.