Block Cell Phones In Theaters?

Old December 20th 05, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Block Cell Phones In Theaters?

In article >,
JohnH > wrote:

>Are theatres still showing 30 minutes of advertisements before the movie?

Yes.

>I cannot believe people tolerate this. I will not go to a theatre as long
>as this continues.

I just go later. "Did you miss the ENTIRE Twenty? If not, try to
make it to the theatre a little later next time".

>I have no doubt theatres will soon inject "intermission" ads into movies to
>suck even more money from the heard.

When that happens, I'll bring extra pitchforks and torches for the
rest of the mob.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old December 20th 05, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article . com>,
John S. > wrote:

>The technology is already available and in use. Cell signals can and
>are electronically blocked - you can buy the device on the net. Why do
>you think cell signals disappear the moment you walk in the hospital
>front door.

They likely don't. If they do, it's not because they use a cell
blocker. A hospital is the last place you're going to see such an
item used, because of the liability issues if it interferes with
medical equipment.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old December 20th 05, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:07:11 -0500, Shawn Hirn >
wrote:

>> If you think you can avoid the ads by waiting until the movie comes
>> out on DVD, think again.
>>
>> Some discs - 2 Fast, 2 Furious is one example - show advertisements
>> the moment you pop the disc into the player... AND LOCK OUT ALL THE
>> CONTROL BUTTONS SO THAT YOU CANNOT SKIP PAST THE CRAP. Of course, one
>> could argue that the entire 2 Fast, 2 Furious disc is crap, but that's
>> beside the point. The arrogance of Hollywood knows no bounds.
>>
>> Makes me glad that programs like DVDShrink exist. For those who don't
>> know, DVDShrink is a program that will allow you to decrypt and
>> re-author DVDs and REMOVE obnoxious "features" such as advertisements,
>> button lockouts, and region codes.

>That's really sickening, but I take a simpler approach to avoid watching
>those ads on DVDs. I simply change the channel and watch the news for a
>few minutes after I hit "play" or I leave the room to prepare a snack or
>do something else for a few minutes.

I suppose that works, but I find it highly offensive when these
arrogant assholes pollute the movie I paid for with their advertising
bull****. Maybe if DVDs were free then unskippable ads would be
acceptable; however, all I want to do when I encounter a disc like
this is make a decrypted copy available on the Internet somewhere.

Old December 20th 05, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 20:31:09 -0600, DTJ > wrote:

>You do know that if you insert the disk, and immediately hit stop on
>either the player or the remote, and keep doing so until the load
>operation is complete, it will then allow you to hit the menu key and
>you will have effectively missed the bull****. Of course it is still
>a major ****ing annoyance.

Hmm... Never thought of that! Thanks for the tip - I'll try it
tonight!

Old December 20th 05, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 20:35:08 -0600, DTJ > wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 07:38:52 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 05:32:50 -0500, necromancer
> wrote:
>>
>>>Couple that with alot of interference from the equipment they use in
>>>hospitals...

>>Actually, most of the wireless equipment used in hospitals operates in
>>the protected WMTS (Wireless Medical Telemetry Service) band, 608 -
>>614MHz. They operate in this band precisely because it is protected
>>from things such as nearby TV stations, pager towers, cell towers, and
>>other forms of interference.
>>
>>It's virtually guaranteed that none of it is going to interfere with
>>your cellular phone (and vice-versa).

>I beg to disagree. Hospitals also use a lot of wireless network
>equipment.

WiFi won't interfere with your cell phone, either.

Old December 20th 05, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >,
Daniel W. Rouse Jr. > wrote:
>"JohnH" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Ours shows 20 minutes of various stuff, mostly ads, that they call
>> > "the 20", before the previews start.

>> They even have a cutesy name for them? Golly, how nice.
>>

>Yep, that's true. "The Twenty" is the name of the pre-movie
>trailers/pre-movie advertising programming done by the Regal Cinemas entity
>(Regal, Edwards, United Artists).

And "The Twenty" has commercials in it, despite the entire thing being
a commercial.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old December 20th 05, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article .com>,
John S. > wrote:

>There are three regional hospitals within 30 miles that I've been to
>more than once as a visitor. Full length glass windows that are easily
>12 feet high are not eliminating the signal.

They are if they are coated with a metallized film.

Of course, the MRI, CT, and other electronic equipment likely has an
effect as well.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old December 20th 05, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >,
Jim Yanik > wrote:
wrote in
roups.com:

>> Well, it'll be the cable TV guy that misses an important call while at
>> ur restaurant, gets suspicious, fires up his spectum analyzer and
>> figures out whats going on. Then he'll turn ur ass in to the FCC, and,
>> like I said, the fines start at $10,000.
>>
>> Dave Head
>>

>Considering you would have to use broadband noise to jam cellphones(the
>entire band),I wonder if a SA would show much,especially to a "cable TV
>guy".

A broadband noise source shows up very well in a spectrum analyser.

>Most are lucky they know how to use a cable meter.

Maybe he's the guy who checks the cable system for RF leaks.

>And how's is the "cable guy" going to know if the restaurant is not in a
>dead zone,or has passive shielding?

His SA will tell him so.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old December 20th 05, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >,
DTJ > wrote:

>All the signs about not using your CP because it interferes with the
>equipment is a lie, although one I support as it tends to keep a small
>number of assholes from using CPs in places that should be at least
>somewhat free from the annoyance.

I thought the signs were there to allow the hospitals to continue to charge
an obnoxiously large daily fee to patients with a phone in their rooms.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old December 20th 05, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

DTJ wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:02:09 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> > wrote:
>
> >If you think you can avoid the ads by waiting until the movie comes
> >out on DVD, think again.
> >
> >Some discs - 2 Fast, 2 Furious is one example - show advertisements
> >the moment you pop the disc into the player... AND LOCK OUT ALL THE
> >CONTROL BUTTONS SO THAT YOU CANNOT SKIP PAST THE CRAP. Of course, one
> >could argue that the entire 2 Fast, 2 Furious disc is crap, but that's
> >beside the point. The arrogance of Hollywood knows no bounds.

> You do know that if you insert the disk, and immediately hit stop on
> either the player or the remote, and keep doing so until the load
> operation is complete, it will then allow you to hit the menu key and
> you will have effectively missed the bull****. Of course it is still
> a major ****ing annoyance.

I'd accidentally done this before, but never realized what I was doing.
I'll start doing it more, thanks dude. =)

Dave