What are the best model years to purchase used Honda Accords?

Old June 13th 05, 09:12 PM
Dorian

Default What are the best model years to purchase used Honda Accords?

I'm about to purchase a used Honda Accord and am wondering whether
there are some model years which are preferable to others. I'm not
keen on the styling of 1996 Hondas so I thought I would purchase
something a little earlier or just a bit later. I want to spend
somewhere between $4000 to $7500. Any ideas?
Thanks, Dorian

Old June 13th 05, 10:23 PM
Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!!

90-93 or 98-02

Old June 13th 05, 11:21 PM
S.S.

Dorian wrote:

> I'm about to purchase a used Honda Accord and am wondering whether
> there are some model years which are preferable to others. I'm not
> keen on the styling of 1996 Hondas so I thought I would purchase
> something a little earlier or just a bit later. I want to spend
> somewhere between $4000 to $7500. Any ideas?
> Thanks, Dorian

Just about any Accord that has been properly maintained is a good car. The
only possible exception is the '98-'02 version with the V6, of which a
handful have had problems with the automatic transmission. IMO, the VTEC
4-cylinder that was available in that version was more than adequate.
Old June 14th 05, 10:22 PM
Pars

I think, a 98ish 5spd Civic would be cheaper to maintain in the long term
and perhaps a better choice at your price range (the Hybrid like fuel
economy is also a bonus). But, If you're planning on getting an Automatic,
the Accord extra displacement is a most when compared the Civic's 1.6L
engine.

The 4cyl Accord seems to be the better choice over the V6 (unless the car is
going to haul a lot of load or regular mountain climbing)

Personally, I can't see how the style of an Accord would impact your buying
decision, since all the model are somewhat mundane looking (with some
exception to the 86ish model with the pop-up lights)

Pars

oups.com...

Old June 15th 05, 02:51 AM
SoCalMike

Dorian wrote:
> I'm about to purchase a used Honda Accord and am wondering whether
> there are some model years which are preferable to others. I'm not
> keen on the styling of 1996 Hondas so I thought I would purchase
> something a little earlier or just a bit later. I want to spend
> somewhere between $4000 to $7500. Any ideas?

i like the generation before that, a lot. 90-94? EX, 2 dr, preferably,
tho the wagon is kinda interesting too. especially in that trendy teal
color, with beige velour.

i also like the 98-01s, theyre nice too.
Old June 15th 05, 04:51 AM
IPavlov

> The 4cyl Accord seems to be the better choice over the V6 (unless the car
> is going to haul a lot of load or regular mountain climbing)

Could you please explain the reason for your preference of 4cyl over
V6. I have 2001 4cyl accord and I'm pretty happy with it and glad that
I didn't put out extra $$$ for V6.

IP.

Old June 15th 05, 06:02 AM
SoCalMike

IPavlov wrote:
>>The 4cyl Accord seems to be the better choice over the V6 (unless the car
>>is going to haul a lot of load or regular mountain climbing)

> Could you please explain the reason for your preference of 4cyl over
> V6. I have 2001 4cyl accord and I'm pretty happy with it and glad that
> I didn't put out extra $$$ for V6.

the 4 is robust, has been around longer, and doesnt have the "weak
tranny" potential issue.