Help! Unknown Can-Am car - mid to late 60's

Old January 16th 09, 06:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Paddy's Pig[_2_] Paddy's Pig[_2_] is offline
Banned

Default Help! Unknown Can-Am car - mid to late 60's

Looks vaguely like a Lotus 30 but not quite. This is from an old slide I
shot. I scanned it a few months ago and tossed the slide out so I can't
pull it to check the year and month but something tells me this may be an
A.J. Foyt car that was partially owned by a pair of Kuwaiti princes (or
something like that). If it is - it was powered by a 600+ HP Hemi. Foyt
had been vocally telling every reporter in sight that if he ever got a car
with enough power he'd show all the Can-Am punks how a real Ammmurican could
drive.

He got it and he got blown off.

This may or not be that car.

Anybody remember anything about this? Frank? Skip? John? Anybody?
--
Pat Durkin

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown Can-Am car - mid to late 60's.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	602.7 KB
ID:	174919
Old January 16th 09, 07:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Jeff[_27_]

"Paddy's Pig" > wrote in
:

> Looks vaguely like a Lotus 30 but not quite. This is from an old
> slide I shot. I scanned it a few months ago and tossed the slide out
> so I can't pull it to check the year and month but something tells me
> this may be an A.J. Foyt car that was partially owned by a pair of
> Kuwaiti princes (or something like that). If it is - it was powered
> by a 600+ HP Hemi. Foyt had been vocally telling every reporter in
> sight that if he ever got a car with enough power he'd show all the
> Can-Am punks how a real Ammmurican could drive.
>
> He got it and he got blown off.
>
> This may or not be that car.
>
> Anybody remember anything about this? Frank? Skip? John? Anybody?

Looks like a 1966 Lola T-70 Spider. Foyt did drive one, but that one
wasn't his.

Old January 16th 09, 07:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Jeff[_27_]

Default Help! Unknown Can-Am car - mid to late 60's - 1966 Lola T-70 (Foyt).jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 Lola T-70 (Foyt).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	174920
Old January 16th 09, 08:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos

"Jeff" > wrote in message
> "Paddy's Pig" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Looks vaguely like a Lotus 30 but not quite. This is from an old
>> slide I shot. I scanned it a few months ago and tossed the slide out
>> so I can't pull it to check the year and month but something tells me
>> this may be an A.J. Foyt car that was partially owned by a pair of
>> Kuwaiti princes (or something like that). If it is - it was powered
>> by a 600+ HP Hemi. Foyt had been vocally telling every reporter in
>> sight that if he ever got a car with enough power he'd show all the
>> Can-Am punks how a real Ammmurican could drive.
>>
>> He got it and he got blown off.
>>
>> This may or not be that car.
>>
>> Anybody remember anything about this? Frank? Skip? John? Anybody?

> Looks like a 1966 Lola T-70 Spider. Foyt did drive one, but that one
> wasn't his.

The particular year I'm thinking of - I don't think Foyt drove a car with a
Lola name. It's been a long time so forgive me but it may have been called
a Coyote - or not. I know A.J. drove a lot of cars called Coyotes. If I
had hours to spend looking it up on google I'd do it. I think I found it a
few years ago when we discussed this car & some people were knowledgeable
about the car and the story. I've got a friend who's a sort of
student/historian of Riverside International Raceway and the Can-Am series.
I haven't talked to him for a long time but maybe if I call my pal Radhai
Sundaram he'd remember. Of course if any readers can remember please jump
right in.
--
Pat Durkin

Old January 16th 09, 06:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Skip[_3_] Skip[_3_] is offline
Banned

It's definitely a Lola T-70. John Mecom rings a bell, but I can't find a
photo on line. If so, it's Ford powered.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old January 16th 09, 06:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos

"Skip" > wrote in message
> It's definitely a Lola T-70. John Mecom rings a bell, but I can't find a
> photo on line. If so, it's Ford powered.

Dan Gurney won with one of those in '67 and his was definitely Ford powered.
The Foyt car was definitely HEMI-Powered. It turned out to be all noise and
not much go.
--
Pat Durkin

Old January 16th 09, 10:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Ryan Sharpe

It's a John Mecom entered Lola T70 Mk2 Ford as driven by Mario
Andretti in the 1966 Riverside and Las Vegas CanAm races.

Search on 'andretti' on this page:

http://www.imca-slotracing.com/CANAM-1966.htm

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 22:19:28 -0800, "Paddy's Pig"

Old January 16th 09, 10:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Ryan Sharpe

Default Help! Unknown Can-Am car - mid to late 60's - 1966 riverside canam - jackie stewart (lola-chevy) dnf.jpg

Here's Jackie Stewart in one of the other Mecom Lolas

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 22:19:28 -0800, "Paddy's Pig"
> wrote:

>Looks vaguely like a Lotus 30 but not quite. This is from an old slide I
>shot. I scanned it a few months ago and tossed the slide out so I can't
>pull it to check the year and month but something tells me this may be an
>A.J. Foyt car that was partially owned by a pair of Kuwaiti princes (or
>something like that). If it is - it was powered by a 600+ HP Hemi. Foyt
>had been vocally telling every reporter in sight that if he ever got a car
>with enough power he'd show all the Can-Am punks how a real Ammmurican could
>drive.
>
>He got it and he got blown off.
>
>This may or not be that car.
>
>Anybody remember anything about this? Frank? Skip? John? Anybody?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 riverside canam - jackie stewart (lola-chevy) dnf.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	174945
Old January 17th 09, 02:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Frank ess

Paddy's Pig wrote:
> Looks vaguely like a Lotus 30 but not quite. This is from an old
> slide I shot. I scanned it a few months ago and tossed the slide
> out so I can't pull it to check the year and month but something
> tells me this may be an A.J. Foyt car that was partially owned by a
> pair of Kuwaiti princes (or something like that). If it is - it
> was powered by a 600+ HP Hemi. Foyt had been vocally telling every
> reporter in sight that if he ever got a car with enough power he'd
> show all the Can-Am punks how a real Ammmurican could drive.
>
> He got it and he got blown off.
>
> This may or not be that car.
>
> Anybody remember anything about this? Frank? Skip? John? Anybody?

Martin Krejci > will be happy to see that
pictu
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...966-10-30.html .
Looks as if #1 is not (yet) represented in an image. Someone might
want to hook him up with the 1966 Can-Am site, as well; some folks are
less than generous about sharing their photos, and Martin is
scrupulous in regard to having permission before he uses anything.

If y'all haven't see his site, you're in for a treat. That page also
has links to Tam McPartland's Old Race Car Site, another giant
pleasure dome. My brother Don's 1959-60 TGP photos appear there, as do
a few of Phil Binks' 1968 Can-Am shots, as well as a couple of mine,
if I recall correctly.

--
Frank ess

Old January 17th 09, 05:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Skip[_3_] Skip[_3_] is offline
Banned

Thanks! I knew it was Mecom's car, but I couldn't find it on the web. Nice
to know my memory still has a little "search" in it...