Smaller Wheels

Old February 15th 05, 06:01 PM
CobraJet

Default Smaller Wheels

OK, so I mentioned a personal disdain for big wheels all around.
Here's a question: on late model Stangs, how small in diameter can you
go and still clear the brakes? I mean, I still see pics of them running
at the track with what looks like 15-inch wheels. Are there differences
from year to year? If I buy an '05 (OK, that's a big stretch, but humor
me), can I fling 15's on it?

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old February 15th 05, 06:09 PM
japhar81

dunno about an 05, but you can squeak by on 15s and clear the stock brakes
on the 03/04 for sure, not sure about cobras, i think they have bigger
brakes, but definately the GT. It doesnt look very good though, one of my
neighbors did it to his 03, looked like total ****.

Old February 15th 05, 06:30 PM
CobraJet

In article >, japhar81
> wrote:

> dunno about an 05, but you can squeak by on 15s and clear the stock brakes
> on the 03/04 for sure, not sure about cobras, i think they have bigger
> brakes, but definately the GT. It doesnt look very good though, one of my
> neighbors did it to his 03, looked like total ****.

Now that I think about it, Tom B. put Welds on his car, and it
looked pretty good. I guess the diff is whether you are going for that
straight line look or not. I could see a set of original-style Magnum
500's on a new Mach I if the offset worked out.

You stil working on that big-engine project?

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old February 15th 05, 06:34 PM
barbara johnson

try some training wheels thats your speed, clown
bj

Old February 15th 05, 06:35 PM
japhar81

yeah, still plugging away. ive been traveling, and after everyone on here
pretty much reversed everything i was thinking, ive gone back to the drawing
board for a bit. ill post more when i come up with something new.

Old February 15th 05, 06:44 PM
CobraJet

In article >, barbara johnson
> wrote:

> try some training wheels thats your speed, clown

The Bob Bondurant School may still have some left over for Mustangs.
I'll have to check. Thanks for reminding me.

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old February 15th 05, 06:46 PM
CobraJet

In article >, japhar81
> wrote:

> yeah, still plugging away. ive been traveling, and after everyone on here
> pretty much reversed everything i was thinking, ive gone back to the drawing
> board for a bit. ill post more when i come up with something new.

Refresh my bullet-riddled memory; you wanted to put a 385 into a Fox
and go drag-racing?

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old February 15th 05, 06:56 PM
japhar81

street, with as big an engine as i could shoehorn in there without breaking
the bank, and exceeding my limited skills.

Old February 15th 05, 07:11 PM
CobraJet

In article >, japhar81
> wrote:

> street, with as big an engine as i could shoehorn in there without breaking
> the bank, and exceeding my limited skills.

"Limited skills" translates to paying others to do the work. Have
you considered taking a basic mechanic's course at the local trade
school or junior college?

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old February 15th 05, 07:26 PM
japhar81

"CobraJet" > wrote in message
> In article >, japhar81
> > wrote:
>
>> street, with as big an engine as i could shoehorn in there without
>> breaking
>> the bank, and exceeding my limited skills.

> "Limited skills" translates to paying others to do the work. Have
> you considered taking a basic mechanic's course at the local trade
> school or junior college?

Ive taken several, and limited skills means I want to do it all myself, so I
gotta balance what I want with whats practical for me to accomplish in my
garage. The only things I'm paying others to do are the body work (my
asthma doesnt go well with sanding, mask or no mask), and reinforcing the
frame metal (my welding skills arent good enough in my opinion).