Chevy lumina 1993 frint seat removal

Old February 13th 13, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Chevy lumina 1993 frint seat removal

I have a 1993 lumina four door which has a broken front drivers door outside handle. After a few days the inside handle stopped working as well.

I was told to remove the door liner to get at the latch and that I would have to remove the drivers seat to get enough clearance to do so. The drivers seat is not powered but does not have much adjustment front to rear.

I have the front bolts out but I don't see any bolts at the rear of the track.

Can anyone tell me where the rear bolts are located ?

Alternatively , how do I get the door open with neither handle working ?

A local repair shop quoted me over $200 to fix it and at the moment that is not an option.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old February 13th 13, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I can not get the door open and there does not seem to be enough clearance to remove the inner panel with the door closed.
Old February 13th 13, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHFI1Q77VgU

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old February 13th 13, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
the will

On Feb 13, 4:10*pm, AMuzi > wrote:
> On 2/13/2013 2:17 PM, wrote:
>
> > I can not get the door open and there does not seem to be enough clearance to remove the inner panel with the door closed.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHFI1Q77VgU
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> * <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> * Open every day since 1 April, 1971

lol And you also need to read the post again!!! Damn.
Old February 13th 13, 09:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

the will > wrote in
:

> On Feb 13, 4:10*pm, AMuzi > wrote:
>> On 2/13/2013 2:17 PM, wrote:
>>
>> > I can not get the door open and there does not seem to be enough
>> > cleara

> nce to remove the inner panel with the door closed.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHFI1Q77VgU
>>
>> --
>> Andrew Muzi
>> * <www.yellowjersey.org/>
>> * Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> lol And you also need to read the post again!!! Damn.

The video shows a locksmith-type guy opening the door from the windowsill
trim area using what appears to be a coat-hanger. I take it that this is a
suggestion from Andrew. If so, it's a good one.

The pro's use a small wedge to lever the trim away from the door so they
can more easily see inside the door while maneuvering the Slim Jim.

Once the door is open, it is no longer necessary to remove the seat.

--
Tegger
Old February 13th 13, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
the will

On Feb 13, 1:01*pm, wrote:

There are two screws/nuts in the back of the seat also. There might be
plastic covers over them or carpet over them. They are going to be at
the back of the track. One on each side.

Once you get the panel off, you will be able to pull on the release
rod that comes from the inner handle. If the release rod came loose
from the latch assembly, you'll have to get a flashlight and find the
little arm the rod hooks to on the latch assembly and pull it with
pliers.

When you have the inner panel off you could take the outer handle off.
(unbolts from the inside of the door) Once you have it off, you'll see
the release rod for that one. Pull it and the door should open.
Old February 13th 13, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
the will

On Feb 13, 4:29*pm, Tegger > wrote:

> The video shows a locksmith-type guy opening the door from the windowsill
> trim area using what appears to be a coat-hanger. I take it that this is a
> suggestion from Andrew. If so, it's a good one.
>
> The pro's use a small wedge to lever the trim away from the door so they
> can more easily see inside the door while maneuvering the Slim Jim.
>
> Once the door is open, it is no longer necessary to remove the seat.
>
> --
> Tegger

lol I take it that the OP's door isn't locked! Hello!

Old February 13th 13, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:34:30 PM UTC-6, the will wrote:
> On Feb 13, 4:29*pm, Tegger > wrote:
>

> > The video shows a locksmith-type guy opening the door from the windowsill

> > trim area using what appears to be a coat-hanger. I take it that this is a

> > suggestion from Andrew. If so, it's a good one.

> > The pro's use a small wedge to lever the trim away from the door so they

> > can more easily see inside the door while maneuvering the Slim Jim.

> > Once the door is open, it is no longer necessary to remove the seat.

> > --

> > Tegger

> lol I take it that the OP's door isn't locked! Hello!

ok, thanks for the replies , I will have another look and see if there is any track under the carpet.

The door is not locked, so I did not know if a wire could be used to open the latch.
Old February 13th 13, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
the will

On Feb 13, 6:05*pm, wrote:

> ok, thanks for the replies , I will have another look and see if there is any track under the carpet.
>
> The door is not locked, so I did not know if a wire could be used to open the latch.

If you can't find any bolts/nuts on the inside, look for them from
underneath the car. I think they're on the inside, but not sure.

Old February 13th 13, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

wrote in
:

>> lol I take it that the OP's door isn't locked! Hello!

> ok, thanks for the replies , I will have another look and see if there
> is any track under the carpet.

Go to
www.autozone.com

Find the Repair Help > Vehicle Repair Guides menus.

Register with AZ. After that, you can access the free auto-repair guides. I
found that they have seat-removal instructions for your car, including
diagrams.

The text of the instructions reads as follows:
1) Operate the seat to the full-forward position (full-forward and full-up
if six way power seat).

2) Remove the track covers and front anchor bolts.

3) Operate the seat to the full-rearward position.

4) Remove the rear anchor bolts.

5) Unplug the electrical connectors (six way power seats).

6) With an assistant, lift the seat out of the vehicle making sure the
spacer washers remain in place.

> The door is not locked, so I did not know if a wire could be used to
> open the latch.

It doesn't matter if the door is locked or not. Either way it can be opened
from the top, between the glass and the trim. AAA does it every minute of
every day of every year.

--
Tegger